Morning Line- Stan Bowman

via Mark Lazerus tweets,

"I'm completely disappointed. It's unacceptable to be where we are today. I'm frustrated, I'm angry. ... Complete failure."

"We did not even come close to reaching the standard we have set. And that’s unacceptable. ... Not close to good enough."

"That starts with me. I need to be better. There's no doubt about it. I can promise you I will be better."

"Joel is our head coach. He will continue to be our head coach. And Joel and I will work together to make sure this never happens again"

added below at 10:54am, One more tweet from Lazerus....

added below at 11:09am, video of Stan Bowman statement,

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: stan+bowman

Comments

bigdee89's avatar

As a Wings fan, missing the playoffs was bad.  But the Cawks getting swept in the first round was sooooooooooo good!

Posted by bigdee89 from The Great White North Eh? on 04/22/17 at 12:09 PM ET

But the Cawks getting swept in the first round was sooooooooooo good!

Was it as good as watching them win three Cups since the Wings were last relevant?

Will it be sweet next year when they’re back competing for the Cup and Ken Holland has found a way for his team to finish 32nd in the league?

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 04/22/17 at 12:14 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

Now this is what you want to hear out of a general manager. Actual passion to win the Cup not just qualify for the playoffs.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 04/22/17 at 01:30 PM ET

bigdee89's avatar

At least it’s been 25 years since Wings were really bad.  We didn’t have a decade that like the Cawks were tankers

Posted by bigdee89 from The Great White North Eh? on 04/22/17 at 02:00 PM ET

We didn’t have a decade that like the Cawks were tankers

We’ve got one coming up, though.

Posted by godblender on 04/22/17 at 02:26 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune,

Bowman declined to go into specifics on what changes he would make. He would only go so far as to say Joel Quenneville would be head coach next season. Beyond that, it sounded as if anything was on the table.

If Bowman wants to make big changes to the roster, he will have to get creative considering the Hawks have a significant amount of salary-cap space tied up in a some big-money, long-term contracts—with most of those contracts containing no movement clauses.

Between Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews, Niklas Hjalmarsson, Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook, Artem Anisimov, Marian Hossa, Corey Crawford and Artemi Panarin, the Hawks have approximately $59.34 million in salary –cap room tied up in nine players for next season. The salary cap was $73 million this season and if it goes up it likely won’t be by much.

All but one of those contracts (Panarin’s) includes a no-movement clause.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/22/17 at 03:54 PM ET

awould's avatar

I was happy to see them swept, that’s for sure. Next season is a whole different thing, I’ll care about that when it happens. And for those who can’t take satisfaction in a little anti-Hawks schadenfreude because it won’t last forever, nobody likes a debbie downer. I just recently moved back to Chicago and it’s been fun seeing the shock wear off and grief settle in after hearing all the Stanley Cup parade planning the past few weeks.

That said, I don’t think the GM should be taking much heat for how a team performs in the playoffs. Nobody saw that collapse coming and I don’t think too many people thought Bowman missed some trade he needed to make at the deadline.

Posted by awould on 04/22/17 at 04:45 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

No, watching them get swept was better.

Posted by Down River Dan on 04/22/17 at 05:41 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

The jealousy coming through my phone hurts me so much.

Posted by ilovehomers on 04/22/17 at 05:42 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

No, watching them get swept was better.

Loved every minute of it. smile

Posted by bigfrog on 04/22/17 at 08:41 PM ET