Morning Line- Jack Todd On Shea Weber

True, Weber’s game is sometimes subtle. He will make one quick, efficient pass to accomplish what P.K. Subban does with three jukes, a shoulder shake and a spinorama — but the end result is the same. Montreal fans, however, will take style over substance every time. They swallow Subban’s act hook, line and sinker while condemning Weber as old, boring and (now that he’s suffered a couple of injuries) fragile.

It’s appalling. If you prefer Subban’s style, that’s your right. If you choose to believe that the trade that sent him to Nashville for Weber was a terrible one, that’s your right also.

What is not right is that you choose to use a very rough stretch in Weber’s life and career to condemn the man in the crudest, most vicious terms. Since the Canadiens announced that Weber had undergone knee surgery and would be out at least until December, I’ve seen him called everything from geriatric to an over-the-hill pylon.

-Jack Todd at the Montreal Gazette on Shea Weber.  Read more from Todd on this topic.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Montreal Canadiens, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: shea+weber

Comments

Hard pass.

Posted by MZ2215 on 07/09/18 at 09:06 AM ET

Posted by MZ2215 on 07/09/18 at 09

Heard that.

Posted by ThatGuy on 07/09/18 at 09:37 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Hard pass.

+1.

Posted by Hank1974 on 07/09/18 at 09:38 AM ET

hockeyfreak13's avatar

Montreal fans, however, will take style over substance every time

Yeah, because Subban was universally loved during his time there. Montreal fans are the worst-the end.

My top 5 worst NHL team fanbases

1. Montreal
2. Vancouver
3. Boston
4. Chicago
5. Detroit

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 07/09/18 at 09:44 AM ET

Dont know how the trend started, but I stop reading someone for good once I see them disparage fans.  Especially their own.

Without fans you dont have an income.

Dont bite the hand that feeds.  Even when it seems like your org is feeding you, it’s not.  Its us.

Posted by ThatGuy on 07/09/18 at 10:20 AM ET

Yeah, I’m not sure where a columnist goes rhetorically
from focusing such vitriol on his own team’s (as a columnist)\
fan base.

Maybe some fans have said or done things truly personal or
hateful? There are always a few.

What he cites sounds like the usual hyperbolic “Weber’s a bum!”
reaction from angry and frustrated fans. He’s broken down. He’s old.
All the usual exaggerations most of us are capable of sometimes.

I’m sure Weber is much as Todd says (though I’ll never consider him
classy after he stopped playing hockey to two-hand Z’s head into
the glass).

But it was a terrible trade! Hey maybe that’s why the fans are so angry.
They had a significantly younger top D more suited to today’s game,
and while pricey, they at least had cost certainty through his prime.
The age…the contract…the style of play…durability issues…

I also don’t see why Todd needed to knock Subban as mostly flash
in order to defend the kind of game Weber plays.

Maybe the problem was the Bergevin couldn’t get past Subban’s big
(and usually pretty appealing) personality. Talk about ignoring substance.

Posted by Lefty30 on 07/09/18 at 02:41 PM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

hockeyfreak13, I think you have to slot Philly in there somewhere. I think that they’d be 2 on that list for me, and I’d take out Chicago…my 2 cents.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Denver on 07/09/18 at 03:43 PM ET