Morning Line- Andy Sutton

“We feel like the system is broken, we don’t mark up through wholesale like the other brands do. We’re not trying to sell 11 different types of skates that look identical just to flood the market. We have one amazing skate, one amazing stick, one amazing glove, and on, down the line.

“People need to understand that when they go and buy a $1,200 skate, what they’re paying for is CEO bonuses, they’re paying for all the NHL players being paid to be ambassadors and to wear the product, they’re paying for all the high-level marketing, they’re paying for all the employees they have to support. Really, the customer shouldn’t have to pay for that.”

-Andy Sutton, former NHL player.  Derek Van Diest of the Edmonton Sun has more on Sutton's line of hockey equipment.

Filed in: | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

The Meal's avatar

No player frustrated me more on the ice, than watching Andy Sutton play defense at Tech.  He was big, and he was good, but he was damn raw.  Amazing that he had such a successful NHL career and terrific to see him still attached to the game in such a tangible way.  Best of luck to him on this endeavor.

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 10/29/20 at 06:24 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Here’s his site: https://www.verbero.com/

Prices are decent if the products are good.  Stick is listed at $200, Skates at $300.

That seems like such a tremendous endeavor - launching a hockey equipment company.  I have read the stories about Warrior and what they have struggled through; it just seems like such a risky and expensive thing to try.

Posted by TreKronor on 10/29/20 at 08:31 AM ET

If Andy Sutton was true to his NHL roots, he would find a way to sell traffic pylons. That’s about all he was good for in Atlanta, putting his big non-moveable body in the way. Unfortunately for him, far too many figured out the could merely skate around him. So frustrating for a fan.

That being said, his idea has good intentions. I wish him the best.

Posted by evileye on 10/29/20 at 08:37 AM ET

I wish him luck but it’s going to be hard to sell stuff if people can’t try it on or get a feel for it, especially high end stuff.

Posted by dwgs on 10/29/20 at 08:37 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Maybe he should think about direct advertising, hey how about on KK!

Keep the comments coming, I will reach out to him and show him the interest.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/29/20 at 08:40 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Posted by dwgs on 10/29/20 at 09:37 AM ET

I thought that about Allbirds and all those other online-only platforms but it’s worked for them (I guess).  I personally want to try something on the first time - if it fits I have no problem ordering it online but I know what you are saying.  Going to need some reviews on the site which include feedback on the sizing and if it’s “true” to other brands.

Posted by TreKronor on 10/29/20 at 08:43 AM ET

That’s a good idea, my kid plays elite level Bantam and god knows there are a lot of us who are looking to save a buck without compromising the kids’ safety / performance but I wouldn’t shell out a couple hundred bucks without feeling it.  Guys are picky about that.

Posted by dwgs on 10/29/20 at 08:51 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

I bought one of their sticks, it broke within the warranty period, the retailer said something odd about wondering where it was broke, but either way, handled my warranty claim, replaced it.

The replacement stick was a pure hot piece of garbage, broke at my 3rd maybe 4th skate. That happens, sometimes you just get a bad one. Warranty covered the original, not the replacement, but the guy at the shop said, we’re blowing these out if you want another, think I paid $40 for a one piece composite, rolled the dice, crapped out, another piece of hot garbage.

The earlier, where did it break question made sense now, looks like these were either two pieces that were glued together, or repaired sticks, not sure which, either way, terrible product, won’t buy again.  Retailer felt the same, and discounted my now 4th replacement for me, an all black stick, which has a decent product. I’ve also used and recommend Fisher sticks, many of my players like them too, good price, hold up well.

When parents ask me about brands and stuff, I tell them it depends on the age of their kid. When he/she is growing like weeds, turn and burn go with price, but when they get into the teens and take it seriously, no better choice than Graf with skates, the rest is style and feel and frankly what the young player psychologically thinks works for them.  Unless they have money to burn, spending at the top end for a stick to me is crazytowns, but so are some parents.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 10/29/20 at 08:52 AM ET