Kukla's Korner Hockey
by Paul on 10/01/13 at 10:23 AM ET
via the NHL PR department,
OPENING-NIGHT NOTES (Courtesy of Elias)
* Since the 1927-28 season, the reigning Stanley Cup champion is 50-21-14 in its season opener.
* The Avalanche/Nordiques franchise (18-8-7, .652) has the highest points percentage among active NHL teams in season openers. The Lightning (12-6-2, .650) and Oilers (19-10-4, .636) rank second and third, respectively.
* The Lightning, Maple Leafs, Oilers, Sabres, Sharks and Stars have each won their last three season openers, tied for the longest active streak in the NHL. The all-time longest winning streak in season openers is nine, accomplished by both the Blues (1978-86) and Canadiens (1953-61).
* The Maple Leafs (4-0-2) have secured at least one point in their last six season openers, the longest active streak in the League. The longest all-time streak for points in season openers is 17, set by the Canadiens from 1963-79 (13-0-4).
* Only three active players have recorded hat tricks in their team’s season opener: Teemu Selanne (Winnipeg, 1993), Paul Stastny (Colorado, 2007) and Derek Stepan (NY Rangers, 2010).
* The record for most goals in a team’s season-opening game is five, achieved by three players: Babe Dye (1922), Harry Hyland (1917) and Joe Malone (1917).
* Pittsburgh’s Kevin Stevens holds the all-time record for points in a season opener – he recorded 2-4—6 in the Penguins’ season-opening defeat of the Capitals in 1990.
* New Jersey’s Jaromir Jagr (11-24—35) has the most career points in season openers. He’s followed by Ray Bourque (9-21—30), Wayne Gretzky (9-18—27) and Joe Sakic (11-16—27).
* Florida’s Kevin Dineen (2-0-0, 1.000) leads active NHL coaches in points percentage in season openers. San Jose’s Todd McLellan (4-1-0, .800), St. Louis’ Ken Hitchcock (9-2-3, .750), Pittsburgh’s Dan Bylsma (3-1-0, .750) and Montreal’s Michel Therrien (4-2-0, .667) round out the top five.
Be the first to comment.
Add a Comment
Please limit embedded image or media size to 575 pixels wide.
Most Recent Blog Posts
About Kukla's Korner Hockey
Paul Kukla founded Kukla’s Korner in 2005 and the site has since become the must-read site on the ‘net for all the latest happenings around the NHL.
From breaking news to in-depth stories around the league, KK Hockey is updated with fresh stories all day long and will bring you the latest news as quickly as possible.
Email Paul anytime at email@example.com