Montreal Trades Shea Weber To Vegas For Evgenii Dadonov

MONTREAL - Montreal Canadiens general manager, Kent Hughes, announced on Thursday that the Club has traded defenseman Shea Weber to the Vegas Golden Knights in return for forward Evgenii Dadonov.

"First of all, I would like to thank Shea for all that he has done for and represented to the Montreal Canadiens," said Hughes. "Not only was Shea an exceptional hockey player who played through significant injuries in an attempt to bring the Stanley Cup back to Montreal, he was also a great leader whose leadership will have a positive impact on our team well beyond his time with us. I also want to welcome Evgenii Dadonov to our organization. He is a talented forward who has produced at all levels since the start of his career."

Dadonov, 33, played 78 games with the Golden Knights in 2021-22, recording 43 points (20 goals, 23 assists). The left-handed forward also served 18 penalty minutes. The Chelyabinsk, RU native skated in 413 career games in the NHL with the Florida Panthers, Ottawa Senators, and Golden Knights, tallying 124 goals and 141 assists.

Weber registered 146 points (58 goals, 88 assists) in 275 games with the Canadiens. In 2020-21, he captained the team to its first Stanley Cup Final since 1993.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Montreal Canadiens, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: vegas+golden+knights

Comments

I’m not sure what to think of this.

Seriously.  I would have wanted a pick or a prospect to take a declining RHD off the Habs hands.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 06/16/22 at 06:05 PM ET

Weber is LITRetired.

Posted by RyanVM on 06/16/22 at 06:21 PM ET

yeah but is montreal on his no trade list tongue wink

Posted by akwingsfan on 06/16/22 at 06:33 PM ET

Lucce's avatar

Loopholes, what loopholes ?

-Gary Bettman

Posted by Lucce from Kingdom of Zweden on 06/17/22 at 05:03 AM ET

Primis's avatar

yeah but is montreal on his no trade list tongue wink

Posted by akwingsfan on 06/16/22 at 06:33 PM ET

Imagine ANA being on his No Trade list, but MTL not.  I mean…. wut?

Posted by Primis on 06/17/22 at 07:40 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I must be missing something here. If weber is petty much done, what is the benefit in the trade for Vegas?

Posted by TreKronor on 06/17/22 at 10:44 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

I love the @AnaheimDucks tweet to @GoldenKnights: “You Sure?”

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 06/17/22 at 01:00 PM ET

Posted by TreKronor on 06/17/22 at 10:44 AM ET

I would think Vegas is planning on being in the LTIR cap-relief range so the cap hit is meaningless, and they’re going to save some actual dollars

Posted by EthrDemon on 06/17/22 at 01:54 PM ET

Tre, I think Sportsnet attempted to answer this question.

Personally, I really cannot, for the life of me, understand why MacCrimmon would seemingly turn VGK into another PHX ranch:  a salary-cap dumping ground.  Either he’s supremely confident in a 16-man (of 23) roster to carry the team into the playoffs or he’s a complete goof in managing the cap.

Again, I would have wanted a pick or a prospect back to take the contract off of MTL’s hands.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 06/17/22 at 02:23 PM ET

Also, EthrDemon has it just about right, too.  Cheers, man.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 06/17/22 at 02:24 PM ET