Momentum Will Carry The New York Rangers In Game 5

I am going out on a limb here and will state right now the New York Rangers will win game 5 of the Stanley Cup Final on Friday.

Most of you may disagree with me and although the odds are the Los Angeles Kings will win Friday, I say the momentum gained by the Rangers will carry over to game 5.

Allow me to explain.  The Rangers did win their first game of the series but they know Henrik Lundqvist needs some help plus the luck the Rangers had won't be the same come Friday.

Therefore, the team itself must play better and they will.

The Rangers dressing room is filled with experienced players, players who know they must be better than they were in game 4.

Winning last night gave them some life and they want to build on the game and I expect the Rangers to play their best game of the series on Friday.

You may say what about the Los Angeles Kings, don't they have something to say about this?

Sure they do and that is why I expect most to favor the Kings in game 5, but they have also shown stretches in the Stanley Cup Playoffs where they don't play as well as expected.

The Kings appear to play better when their backs are against the wall or when they "smell the blood in the water.  Yes they played well in the first three games but the Rangers were not very good and like it or not, the bounces did go their way.

Now I am not saying the Kings will lose four games in a row, instead I am stating this series is going back to New York for game 6 and what was once considered a short series will be one of who has the most left in them.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Los Angeles Kings, New York Rangers, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

MoreShoot's avatar

They had one shot in the third.  I don’t know that they won a single draw.  It was probably the most dominant period for the LAK yet in the series.  Where is the momentum in that?

Posted by MoreShoot on 06/12/14 at 11:39 AM ET

Ya, I gotta agree with @MoreShoot. I not only saw the third as their best period, but the game as whole was the Kings best performance in this series. Lundqvist stole a game, which you knew he would at some point. I think the Rangers gained nothing from this game, with the exception of avoiding the sweep.

Posted by lv2skor on 06/12/14 at 11:42 AM ET

Paul's avatar

I get your points folks but he momentum comes from winning the game and they now know they can get back in the series with a win on Friday.

Many said the Kings were luck with some of the bounces they had in game two and some felt the Rangers were actually the better team.

The Kings certainly had the momentum from those two wins, even though the bounces went their way.

I am just saying the Rangers feel good about the win and I expect their best game tomorrow.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/12/14 at 11:46 AM ET

RockWestfall711's avatar

As a Kings fan I am concerned and see your points.

Ironic that the Kings furious 2nd half of Game 4 came up short and sort of balances the books on puck luck.

The Kings have been EXTREMELY streaky all season and to see them allow this to go 7 would be oh so typical.

Lundqvist has phenomenal numbers in elimination games as well.

If the Kings can play like they did in the final 30 minutes they’ll be fine in the long term but game 5 is a coin flip as far as I’m concerned.

Having seen the Kings rally from 0-3 against the Sharks I am getting paranoid about that evening out despite the fact I consider them the deeper, tougher, and better team in the Final.

It’s never easy…

Posted by RockWestfall711 from Las Vegas on 06/12/14 at 12:08 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

I just don’t see it, Paul. Even in last night’s win the Rangers were unable to sustain pressure for any appreciable amount of time. Then add in the fact they got two very lucky breaks. Those two pucks just sitting on the goal line either go in or are swatted in if this is 99.9% of all other NHL games.

And I think Lundqvist looks tired.

The NHL season ends tomorrow

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 06/12/14 at 12:09 PM ET

Nah, last night was a desperate team blowing their load in the first two periods and depending solely on their goalie in the third.

As much as NY *may* call upon momentum, LA is going to want to win in front of their home crowd.

I think LA wins and I don’t think it’s close.

Posted by Garth on 06/12/14 at 12:28 PM ET

two pucks stop on the goal line - Lundqvist stood on his head - 1 shot in 3rd period - gave up a shorty - countless odd man rushes against - Ranger defense continually out-battled ... yep, sounds like momentum to me PSH ...errrr .. Paul.

Posted by scooter on 06/12/14 at 12:50 PM ET