Modano On His Way To Detroit

from Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News,

It’s not like Mike Modano had to pull up the moving van and take all his furniture to Detroit, but Tuesday was nonetheless a challenging day for the former Stars center.

He and wife Mandy (who goes by the stage name of Willa Ford) have rented a home in the Detroit area, and Modano is leaving today to play for the Red Wings, who signed him to a one-year contract. He packed up his clothes and a ton of personal things and had some friends drive it up for him. He will take a flight to Detroit today and start what will be a one-year adventure.

Will it last longer than that? Modano doesn’t know, but the man who was told he would not be offered a new contract with the Stars after 20 seasons with the organization knows he wants to play more hockey, and he knows Detroit is a pretty good place to play it.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mike+modano

Comments

landsharkhockey's avatar

It’s nice that Modano’s getting all this attention now.  Nobody cared for the last two seasons.  He’ll struggle to stay in the lineup come playoff time.  He should have retired a Star.

Posted by landsharkhockey on 09/08/10 at 10:23 AM ET

Osrt's avatar

He should have retired a Star.

Posted by landsharkhockey

Agreed. Too bad such an extraordinary player has to change teams.

But, I’m glad he’s with us in Detroit. Playing in front of friends and family most of the season is not a bad way to go out either, this year or next.

Posted by Osrt on 09/08/10 at 10:42 AM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Can I be mad at him for not showing up the the informal skates last week? He have to meet his new teammates, right?

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 09/08/10 at 10:58 AM ET

Krononymous's avatar

Yes you may and I think I will call him Mandy.

Posted by Krononymous on 09/08/10 at 11:21 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Yes you may and I think I will call him Mandy.
Posted by Krononymous on 09/08/10 at 09:21 AM ET

We’ve already dubbed him “Willa”.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 09/08/10 at 12:01 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I’ll get to go through winter…

Sheesh. He says that like it’s a good thing. He really has been away a long time. By February I think he’ll view it a bit differently. smile

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/08/10 at 01:15 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

It sounds like the stress train is getting a load of coal dumped in the tender. I think I saw some of the engineers starting to show up for work.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 09/08/10 at 05:00 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

I don’t know, we may have to cut Willa some slack here.

Yes, he has to eventually meet his new teammates, but is the informal skate the place to do it? Also, how many veterans actually take part in the informal skate? I don’t know, but I would assume not too many. It would seem this is a skate their longevity in the league has earned them the right to miss.

Willa will meet his new teammates soon. And, really, what better place to meet all of them than the bus ride to Traverse City?

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 09/08/10 at 06:13 PM ET