Modano No Closer To A Decision

from Chris McCosky of the Detroit News,

The Red Wings aren’t pressuring him, that’s for sure. General manager Ken Holland has presented his offer—apparently for one-year and $1.25 million (more than I’d been speculating)—and whether Modano takes it will not impact Holland’s ability to re-sign restricted free agents Justin Abdelkader and Darren Helm.

The Wings can wait; too bad so many of their fans can’t. It seems that an alarmingly large number of Red Wings fans, at least from the e-mails I’ve been getting, want to vilify Modano.

“If Modano doesn’t want to play here, forget him,” has been a common sentiment.

“What, is he too Hollywood for the Red Wings now?” is another.

It is not like that. Just because he didn’t immediately fall all over himself to sign with the Wings doesn’t mean he disrespected the organization. Just because he hasn’t yet accepted the $1.25 million offer doesn’t mean he feels slighted or he’s holding out for more.

read on

Ha, I think the same people who are emailing Chris eat at where I had breakfast today.  That is all anyone wanted to talk to me about, “why hasn’t Modano signed with the Wings yet…”

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mike+modano

Comments

Primis's avatar

Yes it does, Chris.  Yes it does.

Remind me again how many teams are chasing after Modano?  What’s that, only 3?  ANd of those 3 probably only 2 really want him (DET and MIN)?

He *is* disrespecting the org.

I wish Holland would just forget Modano, sign Abby and Helm, and Modano can retire like he should have last offseason.  Whether he’s ready to or not.

Posted by Primis on 07/17/10 at 11:27 PM ET

Ajax19's avatar

He *is* disrespecting the org.

Oh, give me a freaking break.  I’m a Wings fan.  I’m as a big of a Wings fan as you’re going to find, but I can’t stand how prissy and thin-skinned some of my brethren are.  How is he disrespecting the organization exactly?  He’s got a life.  He’s got a wife.  He’s 40 years old.  He’s played for one team his entire career.  He isn’t sure if he even wants to keep playing.  This is all new, uncharted territory for the guy.  It’s been all of 17 days since free agency even started and even shorter since he got the offer.

Relax.  Let the man have a little time and space to make his decision.  The NHL season is a grind.  He’s not a young guy anymore.  The last we thing we want is Modano to immediately fall all over himself to sign with the Wings, because he’s awed by the almighty Winged Wheel, and then if turns out that come September or October that, you know what, he doesn’t even really want to play hockey anymore.  He just doesn’t have any left in the tank.  (see, e.g., Hull, Brett, Phoenix).  Then the Wings are in an even worse spot because that salary is tied up in a player who isn’t even on the team.

The Wings understand the commitment it takes to play a full season of Red Wing hockey under Babcock.  I am sure Modano has an inkling as well.  Taking time to ensure that the *right* decision is made is showing *respect* to the org, not disrespect.

He’s doing this right by him, his family and our beloved organization.

Posted by Ajax19 on 07/18/10 at 12:05 AM ET

shanetx's avatar

I wonder if any of you knuckleheads ever considered that the greater insult/show of disrespect would be signing before being certain he wants to play and performing poorly as a result?

I love the passion of Red Wings fans, but I’d appreciate a bit more logic, too.  This, most likely, is Lidstrom’s last or next-to-last year.  Modano gives the team a greater chance at a cup before he retires.  I, for one, can’t say no to that and I’m glad the team’s management apparently agrees with me.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 07/18/10 at 01:27 AM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

I’d appreciate a bit more logic, too.

Good luck with that.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/18/10 at 03:22 AM ET

Primis's avatar

He isn’t sure if he even wants to keep playing.

Then he shouldn’t.  Rule #1, when you’re uncertain, that means you’re ready to move on.

Posted by Primis on 07/18/10 at 01:57 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Rule #1, when you’re uncertain, that means you’re ready to move on.
Posted by Primis on 07/18/10 at 11:57 AM ET

It must be nice to have your life so orderly.  My observation is that life is messy… things change… and so do my priorities.  Taking the time to make the right decision for yourself trumps any other consideration.  Modano fully understands what Kenny and Babbles mean by “wanting” to be a Red Wing and being “thrilled” to be a Red Wing.  Like Ajax19 said, we’re only 17 (now 18) days into free agency.  Do you want the entire roster set in stone right now?  Do you want all the line combos set in advance of training camp?  I trust the Red Wing management.  If they say that are giving Modano as much time as he needs (within limits) then I’m not going to worry about it.

Posted by calquake on 07/18/10 at 03:37 PM ET