Modano Coming Home

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

Mike Modano will join the Red Wings, the Free Press has learned.

The Wings have been in hot pursuit of Modano, flying him in from Dallas a month ago and wooing him over lunch and a Tigers game. He also has suitors in San Jose and Minnesota, but has made up his mind.

“Big announcement Thursday,” Modano sent in a text Monday.

continued

Modano returns from his European vacation mid-week and he could be landing in Detroit and sitting in on a press conference on Thursday.

I’ve been telling readers how Modano will strengthen the 2nd unit of the power play, now we are about to find out if I was correct.

update:  Poll added 7:30am

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mike+modano

Comments

Rdwings28's avatar

Well, let’s hope Happy gives about twenty goals, decent on the power play, Mo say, 15 goals, Gator will be better, Helmer still developing,  we should be confident the scoring will be back to the Hossa days. Why Mikey delayed and hemhawed I don’t know, a little black mark in my mind, but try to fit in, play hard, learn the system and I welcome you aboard.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 08/03/10 at 09:14 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Booooooo, dislike.

Posted by Primis on 08/03/10 at 09:30 AM ET

TeamDub's avatar

Blah.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 08/03/10 at 09:57 AM ET

I’m in the middle on this. It’ll help them for sure. I mean how many teams have a 3rd line like the Wings (Hudler/Modano/Cleary)? However it might cost them Miller or Ritola which might suck. I think they are replaceable but still will suck. Wings are thinking this will be their best chance at a Cup in near future so Modano helps there.

All the people who don’t like this will jump on board if Mo starts scoring and puts up 50 points on the 3rd line this year and the team is on the top of the Central.

Posted by tmoore4075 on 08/03/10 at 10:07 AM ET

Primis's avatar

However it might cost them Miller or Ritola which might suck.
Posted by tmoore4075 on 08/03/10 at 08:07 AM ET

If it costs them Miller, Holland has completely lost his mind and needs to just retire because he’s lost his touch.  Miller is younger and brings exactly the same skills to the table as a washed-up Modano does now, except at a much cheaper cap hit..

I predict Modano will put up maybe 20-25 points, be hurt for a significant chunk of the season with nagging Old Guy Injuries (back, knees, etc), and basically often be out of place out there when he is playing.

And just when we finally got rid of Brad May….

Posted by Primis on 08/03/10 at 11:17 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

At this point I’m leaning against it…but…one has to trust Kenny Holland. No I don’t think Kenny is losing his touch…hell…he’s signed Bertuzzi three times now and last year the Unabomber was a savior at times.

I don’t know….just don’t know. Wish the deal would be determined on the outcome of the camps…but I doubt that’ll happen. I hope Babs has the cojones to bench Mo if he thinks he can glide by…

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 08/03/10 at 11:28 AM ET

^^ thats kinda how I feel. I hope he does well and I mean we do find the last little bit of aging guys and he’ll be playing with better talent than he has been in Dallas the last few years. We’ll see. Again who it costs them, and it will cost them someone because they won’t carry 15 forwards, that might make me lean one way or the other.

Posted by tmoore4075 on 08/03/10 at 11:32 AM ET

ColdWar's avatar

Really?  Modano is the new Brad May?  Really?

Posted by ColdWar on 08/03/10 at 11:42 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Nah…I do think Modano will put up Cleary-like numbers, possibly even hit the 50 point mark. For a cool million, that’s just fine with me. Personally I’m just irritated at the Farve-ness of Mo’s July. Of course, it probably took this long to…talk....Willa into it.

Now…sorry Garth…it’s time for Ritola to move on, possibly Miller too. Sure I like both guys, but at this point the Wings have enough guys to grind it out and do the PK. They need some scoring depth with the added bonus of limited PK time. Mo can do that. Ritola and Miller, while useful, just don’t bring the offense to the table.

Now…who’s this Willie Mitchel, and who do we have to send Tuzzi out to kill to make this guy sign with Ink and Paper?

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 08/03/10 at 11:53 AM ET

Nate A's avatar

I like what he could bring to the lineup. It would be a great depth move. But I’m pretty irritated about how the whole thing has gone down. Write me down under the “I don’t give a damn what happens anymore” column.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 08/03/10 at 12:30 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Good move.

Remind me of this quote in February.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 08/03/10 at 12:41 PM ET

TheFreak's avatar

There has been some valid concerns raised against Modano coming to Detroit, but also good points made to why he should sign with Detroit.

Ultimately, Kenny Holland knows best. And Lidstrom is on record saying he wants Modano. Without being in their shoes, all we can do is speculate. So, I trust them as they are much more connected to the organization than I.

If this is Lidstroms last run for the cup, Wings may load up with what they can, even if it means sacrificing a small piece of their future, but probably not significant enough. They’ll do what Lidstrom wants, especially if they want to get him to stay a few more seasons.

Posted by TheFreak on 08/03/10 at 12:58 PM ET

but at this point the Wings have enough guys to grind it out and do the PK.

I guess I missed the guy(s) they signed to replace Miller on the PK?

How does this make our PK as good as, nevermind better than, last year?

Posted by Garth on 08/03/10 at 01:21 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I guess I missed the guy(s) they signed to replace Miller on the PK?

How does this make our PK as good as, nevermind better than, last year?

So Helm, Gator, Eaves, Cleary, Franzen, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and maybe even Modano and Hudler wouldn’t work on the PK?

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 08/03/10 at 01:24 PM ET

Hudler won’t play on the pk probably but the rest can and have. But I can’t stress enough we have no idea who will be gone. Helene St. James stated in her article she expect Ritola to be gone via a trade. Not sure if anyone would give something up to get him though. It probably is him. Miller has proven himself while Matias hasn’t.

Posted by tmoore4075 on 08/03/10 at 02:09 PM ET

I voted, “I’m against it,” but dear Hockey Gods, I hope I’m wrong come June.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 08/03/10 at 04:20 PM ET