Missing Playoff Hockey In Canada

from Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun,

We are cheated, Canada, with no hockey in May, with not much in late April, with no building crazily alive the way Madison Square Garden was Monday night. You could feel it from the moment you walked in. It wasn’t just another day, another game. You felt it outside the building before you even entered. And no matter how long it has been for the majority of Canadian NHL cities, when we lose out on this, we lose something tangible from our sporting lives….

Television can’t take us to Madison Square Garden the way I sat at Madison Square Garden Monday night. The noise itself shakes your very foundation. The anticipation of every rush, every pass, every goal that isn’t. It sends a shiver through the place, a shiver through me, sitting without a rooting interest in a press box that is so close to the stands when the fans stand up—and they do it all the time—all you see are the backs in front of you. All you feel around you is joy, elation, and because there’s no place like New York, the rawest of all emotions.

This is a place that chants “Ovie Sucks” and they seem to care that Alex Ovechkin is barely taking any shifts with the Washington Capitals until he scores the winning goal. This is a place where they toss balloons, where everyone of every age wears Rangers blue, where the crowd is almost all adult and almost no kids, where an attractive woman jumped from the stands into the press box Monday night and begged reporters to charge her phone.

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Rangers, Washington Capitals, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

They always remind me of the kid that threatens to take his ball and go home.  I remember a few years ago when the Canadian dollar was worth 50 cents, I don’t remember Americans complaining about how much of the NHL’s operating revenue they supplied.

Are Canadians this whiny or is it just their sportswriters.  The comments after the article seem to confirm the former.Poor Bettman, I’m sure the Canadian owners and players don’t want to go back to making peanuts, unlike Canadian fans who seem to think this is always some nationalistic patriotic endeavor.

The NHL is a business, nothing more nothing less.  It is neither Canadian or American.

Posted by 13 user names on 05/01/12 at 02:31 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Dear Canada,

Get Better Teams.

Posted by Primis on 05/01/12 at 09:15 AM ET

WingMan's avatar

Agree with the first poster.  These comments are idiotic from Canadian reporters.  I watched TSN and CBC last night and both had NHL Playoff games on - so I didn’t miss a thing.  Each team has an average of 12 (or so) Canadians on their roster…  what more do you want.  This game is not a Canadian vs American thing.  It is an NHL thing.  I even hate the fact they sing the national anthems before the games…  why?

Mind you, these writers pale in foolishness as compared to those in NHL rinks chanting USA USA when their roster is almost completely non-american… lol Now that is some classic stuff.

Anyway, to confirm, it is the sportswriters that are whiny, not the real hockey fans.

Posted by WingMan from The Q C on 05/01/12 at 09:32 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Are Canadians this whiny or is it just their sportswriters.

As an American that has some Canadian friends I can tell you that it’s the writers and not the citizens.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/01/12 at 10:15 AM ET

Steve Simmons is awful.  The only thing worse than reading his articles is watching him mumble and stammer through a TV appearance.  He makes Gary Bettman look calm and collected in his interviews with Ron McLean.

Posted by Garth on 05/01/12 at 11:05 AM ET

I watch several hunderd NHL games a year and I haven’t heard US fans chant USA at an NHL game, nor have I heard Canadian fans chanting Go Canada Go.

Posted by timbits on 05/01/12 at 11:38 AM ET

I don’t know why other people can’t understand that, yes, although games are still on television here, and although many of the players come from here, there’s a special vibe in a Canadian city that has a team in the playoffs. And this spring, now, we’re missing that.

It’s not whining, it’s just… the playoffs are fun, and the playoffs are more fun when there are teams you *really* care about in them.

Not all of these pieces that inevitably appear when the last Canadian team is eliminated are meant as a big whine, or a boast about we control the purse-strings. (And I haven’t read Simmons’ latest yet, so I don’t know whether his is or not.) Sometimes they’re just meant to say, ‘the playoffs are fun, we wish we were there’.

Posted by dzuunmod on 05/01/12 at 12:42 PM ET

Oh, and 13 user names, unless you want all Americans judged by *your own sportswriters* too, I suggest you stay away from comparisons and statements like that in the future.

Posted by dzuunmod on 05/01/12 at 12:49 PM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

Posted by timbits on 05/01/12 at 09:38 AM ET

I went to many Bruins games during college and fans would often chant “USA” when playing a Canadian team right after “O Canada” and when the Bruins won (despite an occurrence in which Canadian Patrice Bergeron had just scored the GWG). It’s unbelievably ignorant of them.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 05/01/12 at 01:23 PM ET

@timbits It happened during the Rangers/Senators series.

If you haven’t seen it, you haven’t been paying attention.

Posted by dzuunmod on 05/01/12 at 02:01 PM ET

Are you threatening me?  In any event, for a vintage California whine see the Pat Caputo article. By the way he is an American I believe.

Posted by 13 user names on 05/01/12 at 10:39 PM ET

Nah, not threatening you. Just pointing out that, on both sides of the border, sportswriters are by no means the best of us!

Posted by dzuunmod on 05/01/12 at 11:15 PM ET