Mike Grier Retires

from the NHLPA,

Mike Grier, a hard-working and dependable winger who played his career with the Edmonton Oilers, Washington Capitals, Buffalo Sabres and San Jose Sharks, announced his retirement today from the National Hockey League (NHL) following a career that spanned 14 seasons.

Grier, 36, appeared in a total of 1,060 regular season NHL games, recording 162 goals and 221 assists for 383 points. He also played in 101 NHL playoff games, as his teams qualified for the playoffs in 11 of his 14 seasons in the league.

“I was very fortunate to be able to play 14 seasons in the NHL with some great players,” said Grier. “The memories and friendships that I have built during my time in the league will last a lifetime. I would like to thank my former teammates, family and fans for helping make my career so memorable for me. It was a great ride, and I am now excited and looking forward to my post-playing future.”

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mike+grier

Comments

Always a classy, hardworking guy.

Stay Classy Mike.

Posted by RyanS on 12/01/11 at 03:37 PM ET

Sorry to see you go Mikey.

Posted by grndlprm on 12/01/11 at 03:47 PM ET

DocF's avatar

One of the really great tough guys.  Mike was far from a goon as he could really play, but he also could and would keep the flies off his teammates.  He is a gentleman and will be missed by all true fans of hockey.

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 12/01/11 at 04:04 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I’m not being a jackass in saying this, because I mean it.

I genuinely thought he’d retired already.  His name never came up really for available players.

Why couldn’t he get a gig somewhere?  Did he heave health/injury issues?  I’d think he’d have fit in on some teams’ 4th line nicely…

Posted by Primis on 12/01/11 at 05:06 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Actual ESPN headline:

“U.S.-born black player Grier retires from NHL”

*facepalm*

Posted by Primis on 12/01/11 at 05:14 PM ET

Posted by DocF on 12/01/11 at 01:04 PM ET

This.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 12/01/11 at 05:15 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Sorry Grier, but my only memory of you is when you checked a teammate after being dangled.

Good luck, now.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 12/01/11 at 05:19 PM ET

Chet's avatar

@rayferrarotsn Congrats Mike Grier on your career - hardest I was ever hit was in edmonton by you #iwasaspeedbump

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 12/01/11 at 11:37 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Best datsyuk dangle ever Herm, love it

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 12/02/11 at 12:56 AM ET