Mike Gillies Relieved Of His Duties In Vancouver

Vancouver, B.C. - Canucks Sports & Entertainment announced today that Mike Gillis has been relieved of his duties as President and General Manager.

"On behalf of my entire family, I would like to sincerely thank Mike Gillis for his hard work and the many contributions he made on and off the ice during his tenure,” said Francesco Aquilini, Chairman, Canucks Sports & Entertainment. "The Vancouver Canucks had success under Mike's leadership, and we nearly reached our ultimate goal; but I believe we have reached a point where a change in leadership and new voice is needed.”

"I also want to thank our fans for their support for the Vancouver Canucks through a difficult and frustrating season," continued Aquilini. "We haven’t met their expectations or ours. We are committed to bringing the Stanley Cup to Vancouver for our fans and we will continue to do everything possible to reach that goal."

Filed in: NHL Teams, Vancouver Canucks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mike+gillis

Comments

Hooo boy, here we go.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis on 04/08/14 at 01:54 PM ET

After getting rid of both Luongo and Schneider…. this seemed like it was pretty deserving.

Posted by neffernin on 04/08/14 at 02:07 PM ET

He’ll forever be known for trading two good starting goalies for Shawn Matthias, Bo Horvat, and Jacob Markstrom. He completely kicked the hell out of that situation. Two legitimate/good starting goalies - turn them into a prospect, a 3rd line center, and a prospect goalie who’s now 24 and hasn’t cracked a starting role.

That’s hilarious.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 04/08/14 at 02:10 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

This one is on Gillis for not quitting in the face of apparently being forced to hire John Tortorella, despite that he’s a coach that doesn’t come close to fitting the team makeup that Gillis had spent years putting together.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/08/14 at 02:17 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

I love it when teams I dislike are in shambles. See also: Toronto Maple Leafs

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 04/08/14 at 02:20 PM ET

EDJ's avatar

a prospect goalie who’s now 24 and hasn’t cracked a starting role.

I wouldn’t write off Markstrom yet just because he hasn’t managed to hold onto a starting role. He wasn’t exactly in the best environment to succeed on a weak team, and goalies like Jimmy Howard show that there are goalies who only manage to become starters later in their careers.

I haven’t seen much of him play, so maybe his actual play says otherwise.

Posted by EDJ on 04/08/14 at 02:23 PM ET

EDJ - If you’re Florida and you’re the 2nd worst team in the league and you’ve got a goalie who’s a guy you think is a legitimate starter, do you trade him for 35 year old Luongo? It’d be one thing if St. Louis traded for Luongo - they’ve got a Cup-contending team. If you’re at the bottom, you take your time and let the guy develop and then take the starter’s job when he’s ready.

Then, he arrives in Vancouver and Eddie Lack, who needs a breather, keeps playing because allegedly, Tortorella says Markstrom isn’t ready/can’t play.

I could be wrong, but if I’m Florida, I don’t trade for a 35-year old when I have a guy who is a major talent but needs more seasoning/development. It just doesn’t make sense, especially in that they sent Matthias, a good player (since Markstrom wasn’t enough to bring Luongo back).

Posted by VitoLambruski on 04/08/14 at 02:32 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

BUT remember who the GM is in Florida…

Posted by TreKronor on 04/08/14 at 02:35 PM ET

EDJ's avatar

On second thought, I’d have to agree with you. I didn’t realize Luongo was that old, first of all, but it makes sense that Florida wouldn’t give on someone they thought could be a legitimate starting goalie, and that this is a poor trade on Vancouver’s part.

Still, goalies are pretty volatile and maybe Markstrom will surprise us. I still think that Florida didn’t or couldn’t develop him properly and maybe a change of pace will help him out. I’ve always seen goalie prospects as pretty variable to begin with and so relatively I don’t see that Markstrom is that much less likely to pan out than a lot of other goalie prospects.

Posted by EDJ on 04/08/14 at 02:41 PM ET

pautna's avatar

LOL!!

Posted by pautna on 04/08/14 at 02:59 PM ET

Actually Markstrom was given the chance to develop better for Panthers than he is now with Canucks. He is sitting as a back-up with Canucks when he was with Panthers he played most nights for AHL San Antonio. When injuries came he was given a chance and he just wasn’t good enough. He was sent down to develop in AHL.

As for trading for Luongo, two years ago I was against it. Theo played well in the playoffs and everyone thought Markstrom would one day take over. That and Canucks wanted top line prospects and draft pick for Luongo and his huge contract. Two years later Panthers give up only Markstrom and Shawn Matthias and Canucks are still paying part of Luongo’s contract and the Canucks get the penalty if he retires. Without the new Bargaining Agreement I don’t think the trade would have happened. Panthers beat Dallas last game only because Luongo made stellar saves. Two saves late in 3RD period that there is no way Markstrom, Clem or even Thomas would have stopped. Dale Tallon will be busy adding players this offseason to compliment Luongo. This trade was a steal by Tallon. Matthias is a good center but Tallon added Brandon Pirri who has been great plus they have Barkov, Nick Bjugstad and Shore. Panthers gave up spare parts for Luongo.

Posted by Puckbubba on 04/08/14 at 03:27 PM ET

Remember how Holland taking McCollum over Markstrom was a sign of his putridity?

Lo and behold, we’re fairly sure Markstrom sucks.  We’re also fairly sure McCollum sucks too, but at least he’s putting up Howard-esque stats in GR so he hasn’t achieved stage 4 suck.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 04/08/14 at 03:51 PM ET