Mike Babcock Will Return As Toronto’s Coach

Filed in: NHL Teams, Toronto Maple Leafs, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mike+babcock

Comments

dreamsofhope's avatar

This whole story-line has confused me from the beginning… isn’t there something in Babcock’s contract like a NFC (NMC for coaches)? Perhaps I’m remembering things, but I could have sworn part of his contract was around the idea that it takes time, and he didn’t want to be fired at the first sign of trouble, if he was indeed going to come to Toronto. Am I crazy?

And IF indeed I am remembering correctly, then whats the story here? Every article I’ve seen on this these last few months, I’ve thought to myself: isn’t that up to Babs?

Posted by dreamsofhope from Colorado on 05/06/19 at 07:40 PM ET

Paul's avatar

dreams, it is an 8-year guaranteed contract for $50M, the Leafs can dismiss him but he would still get paid.

They need a few more players, should be interesting next season.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/06/19 at 07:44 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Maybe it’s just coincidence, but it is interesting that after like 2 weeks of speculation that Babs would be fired, Dubas finally gives Mike an endorsement on the same day that Holland gets hired in Edmonton…...just saying.. smirk

Posted by Down River Dan on 05/06/19 at 07:49 PM ET

Alan's avatar

This doesn’t really come as a shock or surprise to me, honestly. The Leafs have the coach they wanted, so unless he screws up tremendously (highly unlikely), I don’t see him going anywhere anytime soon.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 05/06/19 at 08:44 PM ET

dreamsofhope's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/06/19 at 07:44 PM ET

Ah! Thank you, Paul! I had it a little bit off.

Posted by Down River Dan on 05/06/19 at 07:49 PM ET

Oh wow! That is super interesting… didn’t want him to end up bringing a cup back to Canada in Edmonton with Holland, eh?

Posted by dreamsofhope from Colorado on 05/06/19 at 08:45 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Boring news day in Toronto so this is… Newsworthy. I guess.

Outside of the Toronto media did anyone actually think he might not be back? Didn’t think so…

Posted by TreKronor on 05/06/19 at 09:01 PM ET

Well, I for one am surprised that Kyle Dubas didn’t knee-jerk fire Mike Babcock because he wouldn’t guide the Leafs past an objectively better team.

Maybe it’s just coincidence

It is.

Babcock was practically champing at the bit to get out of Detroit by the end. Sure, Dubas seems as unable to deliver what Babcock asks for as Holland was, but I don’t see why that would drive Babcock back to Holland.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 05/07/19 at 09:16 AM ET