Messier Resigns From The New York Rangers Organization

via the New York Rangers,

Mark Messier issued the following statement today regarding his future:

“I would like to thank the New York Rangers and particularly Glen Sather for giving me the opportunity over the last four years to work with the Rangers. I am resigning my position with the Team to pursue an opportunity to expand the game of hockey in the New York area by developing the Kingsbridge National Ice Center. Although some will perceive this as a reaction to the coaching decision, nothing could be further from the truth. I completely respect the decision that was made and for all the reasons it was made. I harbor no hard feelings toward Glen or the Rangers. This is a personal choice I am making to create a program in the New York area that will give our children more choices and opportunities in the future. I wish the Rangers nothing but the best in the future.“

New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather statement:

“Mark Messier will always be a part of the New York Rangers family. As a player and then as part of the management team, he brought incomparable passion and dedication to the organization. We wish him well in his future endeavors.”

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Rangers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mark+messier

Comments

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

uh huh.

“I’m going to take my ball and go home now…”

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 06/27/13 at 04:15 PM ET

Mark Messier is a fraud, and the leadership award with his name on it will be an embarrassment to real leaders until they change the name to Steve Yzerman leadership award.

Posted by bababooey on 06/27/13 at 04:22 PM ET

Ajax19's avatar

What exactly was Messier’s role in the Rangers organization?

Posted by Ajax19 on 06/27/13 at 04:30 PM ET

Maybe he’s pursuing a NHL assistant coaching gig somewhere for a few years before becoming a bench boss?

Posted by rjman48 from Royal Oak on 06/27/13 at 04:39 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

It’s his award, Bababoey.  He picks the winner.  It’s not going to change, and its not going to ever be anything but a joke.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 06/27/13 at 05:09 PM ET

uh huh.

“I’m going to take my ball and go home now…”

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 06/27/13 at 04:15 PM ET

I don’t understand why he would even bother to mention that detail. Whatever. I’ll always think of him as an Oiler anyway.

Posted by godblender on 06/27/13 at 05:10 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Rj- he specifically said hes going to develop a hocley center in new york.

GB-the fact he did makes me think that it was the real reason

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 06/28/13 at 02:10 AM ET