Melnyk Not Happy With Ottawa’s Casino Decision

from CBC,

The committee passed two motions Monday morning. The first was to keep the Rideau Carleton Raceway as the only place for expanded gaming facilities and the second was to cap the amount of gaming tables, with reduced operating hours.

The decisions appeased some community associations that spoke about the negative effects of gambling, but drew contempt from the owner of the Ottawa Senators....

The owner of the Ottawa Senators, Eugene Melnyk, said that without the extra revenue the future of the club is at risk.

"I don't get it," said Melnyk about the committee's decision.

Melnyk went on to highlight how much his franchise is involved in the city.

"You know, I don't want to say who's more important and who gives more to the community but I will," he said.

"I think we are doing a lot for the community, everybody knows it, I don't have to repeat it," said Melnyk.

"We just do it because we want to do it," he said. "What are they giving back to the community?"

Filed in: NHL Teams, Ottawa Senators, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Nathan's avatar

I’m not saying Melnyk is lying (I have no idea what the Sens finances are like). But it really seems like since Melnyk bought the team, every year at least once or twice we get a sky is falling story like this. It is getting tiresome.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 08/27/13 at 08:21 AM ET

LivinLaVidaLockout's avatar

“I think we are doing a lot for the community, everybody knows it, I don’t have to repeat it,” said Melnyk.

“We just do it because we want to do it,” he said. “What are they giving back to the community?”

“We’re doing so much for the community BECAUSE WE WANT TO… why won’t anyone RECOGNIZE US and give us the GRATITUDE WE ARE OWED???,” cried Melnyk.

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 08/27/13 at 08:47 AM ET

Will Quebec rename the team or keep them the Senators?

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 08/27/13 at 09:03 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 08/27/13 at 08:47 AM ET

This.

If you just do it because you want to do it, then you don’t bring it up politically like that.

What a jerkoff this guy is.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/27/13 at 10:18 AM ET

Dakkster's avatar

I’m so tired of Melnyk the clown.

Posted by Dakkster from Southern Sweden on 08/27/13 at 10:23 AM ET

Primis's avatar

But I thought his finances were just fine, and Yost was a lying liar blogger!!!

Amazing how that story changes when there’s something Melnyk wants.

“I mean, and then there’s my Ukranian charity that—- wait, don’t publish that, DON’T PUBLISH THAT!”

Will Quebec rename the team or keep them the Senators?

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 08/27/13 at 09:03 AM ET

My guess is someone else comes along and just keeps the team in Ottawa.

Posted by Primis on 08/27/13 at 10:31 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Ooh, I also like this line

He said players for the Ottawa Senators are always at community events and that some teams are not involved at all in their cities.

Which ones?

This guy’s throwing everybody under the bus now.

I’ll admit, I don’t know much about the Ottawa gaming stuff and it actually sounds like Melnyk is getting an unfair deal as far as being given the short end of a preferential deal which prevents competition, but the way he’s going about telling everybody how unfair he might has it is downright bratty.

I wonder if Gary Bettman is going to let Melnyk keep dragging his mouth and the rest of the league through the mud like this.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/27/13 at 10:32 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

I wonder when he’ll send Ottawa CSI on the case LOL

Posted by Evilpens on 08/27/13 at 10:41 AM ET

My guess is someone else comes along and just keeps the team in Ottawa.

I was just being a wise @ss, but every time there is a hint of turmoil in a small non-traditional US market, the Canadian media has the moving vans packed for Quebec. Where is the outcry to move the team to a more viable market?

Melnyk the whiner and Ottawa that seems to go out of their way to ensure nothing they do helps the Sens seem to be perfect fit.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 08/27/13 at 11:43 AM ET

shazam88's avatar

Where is the outcry to move the team to a more viable market?

Well, the current market is certainly quite “viable” so there’s that…

Melnyk is a mess. Emerged from the Biovail mess with a few small taps on the wrist, and that really should have been a loud warning to the league.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 08/27/13 at 12:00 PM ET

awould's avatar

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 08/27/13 at 08:47 AM ET

That’s the main thing that popped into my head too. What an ass.

Every major sports franchise owner has some pull with the local government. They’re all rich guys, usually local and of course they have connections. Melnyk’s problem is, he stoops to the level of outright saying it. He’s made it clear he feels entitled to it, or else he may have to close shop on the team :(.... over and over, he cries about it.

If he can’t float the team, sell it. Don’t act like the city and citizens of Ottawa owe you anything because otherwise you’ll take their team away. Everybody knows that’s a total bluff. They know it because they they all saw what happened in Phoenix…. the NHL takes over the team for a couple years and sells it to a new owner. But it’s Ottawa, not Phoenix, so it should only take a couple of months, not years.

Bottom line.. this guy Melnyk is a liar.

Posted by awould on 08/27/13 at 12:12 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

It’s all Danny Alfredsson’s fault.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 08/27/13 at 05:38 PM ET

Generally speaking, I’m loathe to side with the sort of think-of-the-children groups who have hissy-fits about how many slot machines there are at a racetrack, but Eugene Melnyk is 8 shades of shady.

If he’s pushing something, it should be met with a metric ton of skepticism. This guy’s got a club in Ontario and has, allegedly, somehow lost 90 million dollars in the last three years, despite having relatively low payrolls. Without shenanigans, I just can’t see how that’s possible.

Posted by larry on 08/28/13 at 01:05 AM ET