Maybe, Just Maybe, Shanahan Knew What He Was Doing

Afterall, Brendan Shanahan has been a part of the Wings locker room and he knows the main goal of that room is to win the game.

Instead of suspending Shea Weber for a game, maybe Shanahan knew/felt the Wings would respond in a way to make Weber accountable for his actions and still force Weber to skate on egg shells for the rest of series.

Back in his Detroit playing days, Shanahan would have played the role of Bertuzzi in the fight below, and instead of the goal scorers being Emmerton, White and Franzen perhaps they would have been Maltby, Murphy and Hull.

Make no mistake, Weber should have received a game suspension, but they way things have worked out, maybe not suspending him will be much better in the long run for the Wings.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, Nashville Predators, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

jimathor's avatar

I stand by what I said in the liveblog last night.

All videos should be ended with “I’m Brendan Shanahan and I’m making this up as I go along”.

Posted by jimathor from The land of Sir Humblepatch of Bumblehound on 04/14/12 at 11:05 AM ET

Weber should have been suspended and I’m sure the Wings would have responded even without Weber in the lineup last night

As for Franzen. He should have just grabbed Fisher by the front of the jersey and tried to get a punch in to break his nose before doing anything else. I didn’t think much of the officiating last night.

Posted by teldar on 04/14/12 at 11:19 AM ET

graf's avatar

I highly doubt there was that much aforethought in this process.

Posted by graf on 04/14/12 at 11:43 AM ET

Who on the Wings is going to make Captain Caveman pay a physical price in a fight?  Everyone remembers what his Mammoth pummeling fists did to poor Kopecky’s face.  The league is a joke and I’ll say it again has no guts to stand up and make a decision.  Kings of status quo.

Posted by MTL_WINGS from Montreal on 04/14/12 at 12:05 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

For the good of the game, Weber should have been suspended, and for a lot more than one game. But if Shannacrap had done that, we all would have missed the funniest moment of the night – the Preds fans booing Hank for putting his hand on the back of Weber’s head and pushing it down towards his, ummm, hockey pants. Just hilarious. smile

Anyone else like to know what Bert said to Weber at the end of the fight?

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/14/12 at 12:08 PM ET

SandysWingingit's avatar

Hmmmm… so that was Weber’s first fighting major since ‘09. Like someone mentioned on another thread, the timing couldn’t have been more perfect, spending the Pred’s first PP in the box. Bravo Bert!

Posted by SandysWingingit on 04/14/12 at 12:20 PM ET

socalwingnut's avatar

MTL_WINGS, Weber concussed Andrea Lilja a few seasons ago.

It was Francois Beauchemin who broke Kopecky’s face in the playoffs.

Posted by socalwingnut on 04/14/12 at 12:27 PM ET

Emmerton did look like Maltby circa 97 and 98.  If you watch the cup DVDs, you can see how many goals that dude scored-just like that in just that situation.

Posted by brawler26 from Boston on 04/14/12 at 12:42 PM ET

@socalwingnut you’re right.  Got the two mixed up.  He’s still a caveman though.

Posted by MTL_WINGS from Montreal on 04/14/12 at 12:52 PM ET

Thanks Paul, for being insightful and rational while all other wings fans sulk and call for more blood.  The way they’re acting, you’d think they were secret siblings of the Sedin sisters or something (say that 3 times real fast at 8 a.m.).

With your intelligent perspective, you are cordially invited to root for the Hawks any time.

Posted by sean_o_sean on 04/14/12 at 01:14 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

Posted by sean_o_sean on 04/14/12 at 11:14 AM ET

Not to wish violence on anyone but I hope 50 cent gets his head smashed into the glass by Shane Done, hard enough to break his helmet (no injury), after the horn of course. Then I want to see your reaction when Shannabum doesn’t do anything to Done but ask him nicely not to do that again, oh and buy a pack of gum for everyone.  “Intelligence” and “Hawks” do not belong in the same sentence. Poor little brother.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 04/14/12 at 01:57 PM ET

HockeyFanOhio's avatar

I seriously doubt that Shanahan made his decision in an effort to fire up the Wings.  They should have been fired up either way.  But for the game in general and the safety of other players Weber should have been suspended.

Posted by HockeyFanOhio from Central Ohio on 04/14/12 at 01:57 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

Back to the topic at hand, Paul I agree with you 100%. I called my buddy after the game and told him not suspending Weber might actually be the best thing that could have happened to us. I think about it from the other side, and if they do suspend him, that gets bubba all fired up and they get momentum, either in game 2 or carry it to game 3 when he would have came back. I like Weber on “egg shells”, especially with Hal Gill to return at any moment. Shannadouche is still a bum though, and Weber should have been suspended regardless.
Buckets looked like a death dealer out there last night. I hope he can continue that intensity, he was incredible considering his circumstances.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 04/14/12 at 02:09 PM ET

I don’t think it made any difference, Weber should have been suspended and Shanahan is fast becoming a hack.

Posted by timbits on 04/14/12 at 02:19 PM ET

You know, I did not think about it this way, but I can sure as hell imagine Kenny’s talk to Shanny when he called asking about Hank’s health

S: Hey Kenny, long time no see…  I saw that shitty play last night, and I just wanna know how Hank is feeling before I take Webber’s ass out of the series

K: Hey, he’s feeling pretty good, actually. And since we’re on the subject, I think there are a few players that are lacking a little ANGER right now on our team. You think you might, like, maybe, not suspend that moron?

Hahahaha
NO WAY, but it makes for fun entertainment

Posted by Zqto from Brazil on 04/14/12 at 02:24 PM ET

Incredibly, it’s not always about conspiracies for or against the Wings.

Posted by yayamo on 04/14/12 at 02:33 PM ET

Yeah, not “always”...

Sad statement, isnt it?
I would guess from it you are far from a Wings fan, yet even you acknowledges there are some conspiracies against the wings, since its obvious THIS ONE isnt…

Posted by Zqto from Brazil on 04/14/12 at 02:42 PM ET

statelouis26's avatar

Really?  I don’t ever remember Shanahan fighting.  He was as lazy as Bertuzzi, waiting to get fed by datsyuk.  But the fighting, don’t think so.  I doubt this was at all what Shanahan “planned.”  He didn’t to anything right.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 04/14/12 at 02:46 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 04/14/12 at 12:46 PM ET

Shanny had 35 fights while playing with the Wings.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/14/12 at 02:50 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

I dunno, the wings were playing well before that incident, and the loss in game 1 was not Nashville’s doing. Never hurts to have more to bring a team together, but the non-discipline that was handed down is an inexcusable as the act that should have been punished.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/14/12 at 03:04 PM ET

I remember Shanahan taking on Brashear and more than holding his own against that goon.

And strange how they wil praise Shanahan with fond memories for dragging down that clown p.roy, yet throw him under a (Detroit made, with tax payer bailout money) bus the first time they don’t get their way with everything.

Posted by sean_o_sean on 04/14/12 at 03:23 PM ET

Yeah, I cannot believe some people dont even remenber Shanny’s clothsline on Roy…
Sure, he wasnt a fighter, but to say that Shanahan never fought is plain stupid

Posted by Zqto from Brazil on 04/14/12 at 03:41 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Posted by sean_o_sean on 04/14/12 at 01:23 PM ET

Had nothing better to troll about then the economy eh?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/14/12 at 03:51 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

with tax payer bailout money)

Hockey topic?

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/14/12 at 04:04 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

If I’m not mistaken, Shanny is the career leader in Gordie Howe Hat tricks.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 04/14/12 at 04:31 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

If I’m not mistaken, Shanny is the career leader in Gordie Howe Hat tricks.

Go figure.  I was mistaken.

Makita, 22.  Lindsay, 19.  Shanahan 17.  I guess I was remembering him being the active leader at one point.

And for the record, Howe, 2.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 04/14/12 at 04:35 PM ET

Yeah, not “always”...

Sad statement, isnt it?

Posted by Zqto from Brazil on 04/14/12 at 12:42 PM ET

The Wings are fine.  I’m neutral towards them.  They are a great hockey team.

But not always does not imply there has ever, or will ever, be a conspiracy involving the Wings.

Posted by yayamo on 04/14/12 at 04:35 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by sean_o_sean on 04/14/12 at 01:23 PM ET

Don’t you have a salary cap to circumvent Mr. Limbaugh?

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/14/12 at 04:52 PM ET

Ha ! Limbough.  good one, except I am a Canadian liberal.  You clearly have as little economic sense as you do hockey.

That said, I may not be a fan of the wings, but i respect them and the top notch organization and team they consistenly put on the ice.  A friend at work is a huge wings fan and he tells me every year, “anything short of the stanley cup is complete failure”.  Pretty cool that a team is so consistant that a fan can actually EXPECT his team to acheive greatness every year.  But that doesn’t mean there are conspiracies for or against -just good management and they occasional call against.  Happens to everyone.  Deal with it and stop whining.

Posted by sean_o_sean on 04/14/12 at 05:16 PM ET

My take is that Shanny went a bit light on Weber, because he’s a Norris candidate, and because the league WANTS Nashville to be and example of a successful Southern expansion franchise of the last 15 years.

If you think that the NHL doesn’t want to expand, you’re wrong.  Also, the problem with a LOT of NHL franchises is that the prospective owners FINANCE the purchase of the team without a lot of personal skin in the game.  NHL owners are typically wannabe sports owners, without the capital to buy into the Big 3 teams.  The NHL NEEDS prospective owners like Ballsillie, Cuban and Reinsdorf.  They should just get out of their own way in regards to team owners.

Posted by BobaFett from Las Vegas on 04/14/12 at 09:20 PM ET