May As Well Address This Now Since It Won’t Go Away

from Kevin McGran of the Toronto Star,

There is a distinct possibility that Nik Lidstrom is playing his last game in the NHL.

The gallant, classy 40-year-old captain and his Red Wings face elimination Thursday night at the hands of the San Jose Sharks, who lead their best-of-seven Western Conference semifinal three games to none.

The thought of “lose and go home” is motivating the Wings.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: nick+lidstrom

Comments

Heaton's avatar

Is it bad that as soon as I saw ‘Nik’ I stopped reading?  The guy is 40 years old and people still forget the ‘c’ maybe I’m just too irritable today.

Posted by Heaton on 05/06/10 at 02:59 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Look on the bright side Heaton, he could have written Niky.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/06/10 at 03:01 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I thought the same thing as Heaton.

Nick Lidstrom
Nik Kronwall

There’s just no good reason for a professional to make that mistake.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/06/10 at 03:03 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

I just started convulsing with foam coming out of my mouth…...please stop talking about it…...

Posted by Rdwings28 on 05/06/10 at 03:03 PM ET

YzermanZetterberg's avatar

I thought the same thing as Heaton.

Nick Lidstrom
Nik Kronwall

There’s just no good reason for a professional to make that mistake.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/06/10 at 01:03 PM ET

You mean like when he won the Norris for like the sixth time and they misspelled his name on the back of the jersey that appeared on stage?

Posted by YzermanZetterberg on 05/06/10 at 03:08 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Funny how the article about Nick rapidly changes into an article more about the Sharks.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/06/10 at 03:09 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

Posted by Heaton on 05/06/10 at 12:59 PM ET

ditto

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 05/06/10 at 03:14 PM ET

Agree with Lidstrom.  No sense talking about it now when there’s still a game to be played.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/06/10 at 03:27 PM ET

#1, if I had to gamble on this game, my money would be firmly on the Red Wings.  They are too tough-minded to bow out this quickly at home.

#2, it’s really up to Lidstrom.  If he wants to play another 10 years, he would still be better at 50 than half the guys taking up roster space around the league.

I will say this, a loss tonight would be no way for one of the all-times to go out.

Posted by HNBCTB on 05/06/10 at 03:32 PM ET

Look on the bright side Heaton, he could have written Niky.

Or Lindstrom.

Posted by Kstewy16 on 05/06/10 at 03:56 PM ET

Alan's avatar

The thought of Lids r.. rr… reti… leaving is making me ill to my stomach.

I’m going to go throw up. Again.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 05/06/10 at 04:05 PM ET

Greg's avatar

Imagine if Lidstrom retires, and the real Captain leaves for a GM position elsewhere?  Last two captains in 20+ yrs??

Posted by Greg on 05/06/10 at 05:19 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

Oh ugh, this just made the knot in my stomach so much larger.  Not going to think about it.  NOPE.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 05/06/10 at 06:05 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

I actually think the chances of him playing another year are better if they lose tonight than if they somehow claw back into this series. Not because I think he needs to end it on a higher note (he has Norris trophies and Cup rings coming out his ears…), but because I think a longer offseason will allow him to recharge his batteries.

He (and the rest of this roster), no matter what they might say, need a rest. They need a longer summer than they’ve had the last three off-seasons. They need a summer that doesn’t involve jet-setting all over the globe listening to people talk about how great they are, or second-guessing their previous season’s performance, or getting blown up over hype of starting the season in Europe.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 05/06/10 at 06:24 PM ET

Osrt's avatar

Posted by YzermanZetterberg

Just wanted to highlight this again because we couldn’t believe something like this happened. And Gary addressing Gordie Howe as “Gordy” annoyed me. That’s Mr. Howe to you dipfuch. Todd Mclellan got it right.

Anyway, King Lidas will do what he damn well pleases. As I suggested elsewhere, I can imagine an Olympic tournament with Stevie Y as GM of Canada and King Lidas as GM of Sweden.

Posted by Osrt on 05/06/10 at 07:03 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

Posted by Heaton

He left out the “C” in Nick? No, can’t be, you’re only suppose to leave out the “C” for…. oh nevermind. wink

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 05/06/10 at 07:18 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

He will return.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/06/10 at 08:08 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Wondered how long it would be before somebody referenced that. You Pen fans almost let me down.

I’ve been seeing him look more and more mortal this season and just have this feeling that he’s going to call it a career. Granted, I don’t know him at all beyond what I can glean from interviews, but the man seems to strive for perfection. After years of achieving it, he’s smart enough to recognize when he is no longer capable of it.

I hope I’m wrong and he stays for a couple more years. Maybe he wont win another Norris, but he will remain a top pair D-man.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 05/06/10 at 08:27 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

In his best “Terminator” voice, let us hear him say “Aahhlll be back….”

Posted by Rdwings28 on 05/06/10 at 09:00 PM ET