Matt Cooke- The Man Everyone Loves To Hate

from Michael Farber of Sports Illustrated,

There is actually much to admire in Cooke’s game. He has won a Cup, scored at least 10 goals in nine of the past 10 seasons—he scored 15 last year with essentially no power-play time—and made himself invaluable on the penalty kill. In his first game back from suspension, he cashed in a shorthanded goal in a 3—2 shootout loss to the Blackhawks in Chicago on Feb. 20. (He is tied for the NHL lead with six shorthanded points.) Cooke is an actual player, unlike the Islanders’ Trevor Gillies, who is one of three skaters in the past 10 years to have more than 100 penalty minutes in fewer than 100 minutes of ice time. ...

Cooke might even qualify as an impact player, but his impact is most apparent at the point of contact. With good checks and bad, with hits that stretched rules and in one memorable case rewrote them, Cooke has earned a great living and a poor reputation. He has devastated the careers of star players.

much more but worth a read…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: matt+cooke

Comments

This is one of the fairest assessments of him that I’ve seen. I’m a fan of Cooke’s uptempo and aggravating style, but am not afraid to call him out when he crosses the line. He’s definitely an asset to the team, compared to someone like Goddard who’s value is questionable at best. (HCDB must agree if you look at the number of playoff games Goddard has played in over the past two years. Goddard: zero. Cooke: 37)

Posted by penguinsfan on 03/09/11 at 01:08 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

I love this quote:

“So many days I’d say, This guy [is] a factor; Cooke helped us win,” says May, the ex—Canucks tough guy. “And other days I’d be icing my knuckles or my temple and thinking, I wouldn’t have been in that fight at all except for that ass——.”

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1182974/2/index.htm#ixzz1G7HyVKTS

I also find it ironic that he has a foundation to help physically disabled people.

Posted by Hank1974 on 03/09/11 at 01:29 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Why would you find it Ironic?? He thankfully hasn’t disabled anyone ..... YET !

He plays on the edge, That is how he has to play to be successful.He is a Guy if he is on your team you like Him & put up with the stupid Penalties & suspensions & if he isn’t on your team you hate him

Posted by Evilpens on 03/09/11 at 01:45 PM ET

You wouldn’t call what he did to Savard disabling?  If that’s not disabling then it’s as close as it can be… Savard’s career is likely over because of that idiotic hit.

Posted by Adam on 03/09/11 at 02:04 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

UMMM NO !! he had a Bunch of concussions before & 1 After which one caused the premature end to his season & and Possibly his career !!

Posted by Evilpens on 03/09/11 at 02:09 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Who are you kidding????
Look at Savard’s stats prior to that cowardly hit! He was one of the top scorers in the NHL for a handful of seasons.
Cooke then tries to decapitate him and what happens? He’s not even close to being a point-per-game guy.

I’d also love to see the evidence that Savard had a ‘bunch of concussions’ prior to the Cooke hit.

Call a spade a spade. Cooke is an *#$%@&. The dude’s kid plays soccer with kids of friends of mine. Everyone hates him there too because he’s always screaming at the 12-year-old officials. Last summer an off-duty cop had to tell him to watch his language and Cooke went off on him too.

The man is a grade-A loser on and off the ice! If he wasn’t, then how come so many of his former teammates say the same thing?
I’m sure once Cooke is off the Pens, we’ll hear the same kind of talk from Sid and the rest too.
If it walks like a loser, and talks like a loser, chances are it’s Matt Cooke.

Posted by Hank1974 on 03/09/11 at 02:21 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I just spent 10 minutes looking, and can only find evidence of the two. Nice try, EP.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 03/09/11 at 02:28 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

How dare you bring facts into a case against Cooke!!! That’s unfair!

But seriously, I also tried to find the other concussions Savard endured prior to the Cooke incident and I’ve yet to find any.

Guess we’ll all just have to go on believing that Cooke is a super guy and because he established a foundation to help the less fortunate, it means he’s allowed to injure as many players as he wants.

I heard the same thing from Canucks fans and then Caps fans.
When Cooke joins his 4th team, I’m sure Pens fans will also talk about how they all hated him while he was here and how he needs to be taken out of the league while team #4 fans talk about how Cooke is a great player and they’re happy to have him and how he helped an old lady cross the street on Saturday so it’s okay that he decapitated Steven Stamkos on Friday.

Posted by Hank1974 on 03/09/11 at 02:37 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Boy that was Difficult

That is Not counting having His “Bell Rung” & continuing to play

Posted by Evilpens on 03/09/11 at 02:44 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Hank1974 UMM 1st you have to be intelligent enough to know what to google & 2nd of all you Have to WANT to find it, #rd You have to have the Courage to believe the truth

& Nowhere have I given him a Pass I have said in this thread, If he is on your favorite team you Put up with his Bad Penalties & suspensions & if he isn’t on your favorite team you hate him

Posted by Evilpens on 03/09/11 at 02:47 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Boy that was Difficult

Link is broken. Like your logic.

Can I ask why Cooke is loved by any team? He’s a 10-goal scorer who kills penalties well. He’s a dime a dozen. For $1.8M a year, you can find a substitute who brings the same amount for half the price. Maybe less.

Teams and fans love him because he brings an element of fear to the other team. They know they have to be aware of him because if they’re not, they could lose a leg or their career.
That’s why you never heard anyone from the Canucks or Caps organizations say Boo while he was employed by their teams.
The minute he’s gone, they all talk about what a cancer he is to the game.

Teammates love him because as long as he’s on their team, they don’t have to worry about having one of their legs blown out when they play him.

Posted by Hank1974 on 03/09/11 at 02:56 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

I found the info on Savard’s concussions via the Hockey news:

Even so, look at Savard’s stats even after his first 3. He was a great player.
So nobody knows how severe those concussions were.

And even so, what does it matter? Savard hasn’t even been close to the same player since the cowardly Cooke hit.

It’s like exonerating someone for breaking someone’s neck because “Hey, that lady had a broken neck 7 years ago! It’s not my fault that it broke again when I picked her up, piledrived her into the pavement and then stomped on her spine!”

Once again, Pens fans never cease to amaze me with their hypocricy and ability to throw rocks from their glass house.

This isn’t polite to say, but maybe Crosby’s concussion is Cooke-karma that has come back to bite them in the butt.

Good luck trying to win a series in the playoffs without your best player. But hey, you’ll have good ‘ole Cooke in there to kill penalties and chip in a goal every 10 games! That’s just as good isn’t it????

Posted by Hank1974 on 03/09/11 at 03:02 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Pens Have Sid & Geno out for the Year most likely you Twat Waffle!! I think I understand the seriousness of Concussions, Never did I blame Steckel, Hedman or Myers for their Hits on Sid & Geno !! It sucks but that is the game

try that link again

Posted by Evilpens on 03/09/11 at 03:03 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

And yet this TwatWaffle (GOOD ONE!) is able to post links properly.
Why don’t you write the link down on a piece of paper and get someone who is good at the internets to post it for you.
Sound good sweetie???

Posted by Hank1974 on 03/09/11 at 03:07 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Savard has now suffered five concussions throughout his career, (according to The Hockey News) including two in the last 10 months.

Ok EP, thanks, as that is from your link.

All that said, Cooke still has effectively ended Savard’s career. How can you deny that?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 03/09/11 at 03:14 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Also Well known fact that Matt cooke Caused Pacioretty’s Concussion not Chara

Amazing that me this supposed stupid person could find it on the 1stgoogle search & you & the other Window Licker couldn’t find anything & supposedly he looked for 10 Minutes

By the way Maybe Konstantinov’s Limo Wreck was caused By the Karmic consequences Of Ass&%&% Red Wing Fans   sick

By the way they ONLY player that I know for a Fact ended a Players career In fact plays for the Wings Eat S&%& & live

Posted by Evilpens on 03/09/11 at 03:17 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Says a fan of a team that employs Todd Bertuzzi.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 03/09/11 at 03:22 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Posted by Evilpens on 03/09/11 at 12:17 PM ET

Why are you so angry?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 03/09/11 at 03:24 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

You guys finally pissed Evilpens off enough to aggressively troll with shit that not even he believes.  Well done.

Pens Have Sid & Geno out for the Year most likely

What does Malkin have to do with this conversation?  He busted up his knee.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/09/11 at 03:24 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Another mature response from a mature Cooke supporter.
In one post you managed to pull out a school-yard insult (A 3-year-old called, he wants his joke back), anal penetration and a witty 1000-year-old retort of eating feces.

You’ve represented yourself well sir.

Not only have you proven yourself intellectually but you’ve also managed to defend Cooke again and again, and attempt to provide weak evidence that Cooke had nothing to do with Savard’s current plight.

Well done.

I’ll give you the next 10 minutes to come up with more witty and original retorts.
Shall I suggest more homosexual references? Or perhaps a ‘Your Mamma” joke?

Now get back to making my fries!!!

Posted by Hank1974 on 03/09/11 at 03:27 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Says a fan of a team that employs Todd Bertuzzi.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Milford, CT on 03/09/11 at 12:22 PM ET

Can you please give me a list of major penalties that Todd Bertuzzi has had assessed against him while wearing a Red Wings sweater?

Would you like me to provide you with a list of Matt Cooke’s while he’s been a Penguin.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/09/11 at 03:27 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Says a fan of a team that employs Todd Bertuzzi.

Not denying a thing, same as you being a fan of a team that employs Cooke. I’d say the same thing about Avery, Ott, Clutterbuck, so on and so forth.

Dirty players are going to be the nature of the game, even if some of them never should have seen time on an NHL arena.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 03/09/11 at 03:29 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Says a fan of a team that employs Todd Bertuzzi.

Touche. smile

Posted by Hank1974 on 03/09/11 at 03:30 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Says a fan of a team that employs Todd Bertuzzi.

Not that this makes it any better, but when’s the last time Bert did anything like that?
He’s not a perpetual threat to deter someone’s career.

But what he did to Moore was reprehensible. I hope Moore gets his day in court.

Posted by Hank1974 on 03/09/11 at 03:31 PM ET

Boy that was Difficult

And it’s also difficult to deduce that three concussions between 2001 and 2004, all mild (20 games total missed) didn’t affect his game.  Between the last of those concussions and the one delivered by Cooke he was more than a point-per-game player, and since Cooke’s hit he missed 41 games and was MUCH less effective when he returned (10 points in 25 games this season).

But no, it was probably that one in 2001 that made him miss 3 games, not Cooke’s hit that affected his entire career.

Posted by Garth on 03/09/11 at 03:32 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/09/11 at 12:27 PM ET

Hey, I’m not saying Cooke isn’t a dirty player.  Never said that, never will say that.

But…if we’re throwing rocks in glass houses…he did commit one of the most heinous acts in sports history.  Right?

So, from my standpoint, I think the “Mario Lemieux employs Matt Cooke so he shouldn’t speak out about dirty hits because that’s just downright hypocritical” can be played here.  A fan of the team that employs Todd Bertuzzi shouldn’t call me hypocritical and say I throw rocks in glass houses just because my favorite team employs Matt Cooke - who’s most infamous hit (the one on Savard) was legal when it happened.

Not excusing that hit either, since I feel like I have to elaborate on everything I say, but if you’re going to deplore the guy’s actions, make them actions that were illegal…there’s a LOT of those.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 03/09/11 at 03:39 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Posted by Hank1974 on 03/09/11 at 12:31 PM ET

I understand this.  Bertuzzi’s been a model citizen since.  Just thought I’d point out the irony in YOUR statement.  smile

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 03/09/11 at 03:41 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Milford, CT on 03/09/11 at 12:39 PM ET

Fair ‘nuff, I guess.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/09/11 at 03:43 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Note to dear KK members:

EvilPens + Matt Cooke = Dead On Arrival

You know I love your unique (!) enthusiasm to all things Penguins, Dr. Evil.  But having tango’d with you a few times on the topic of Matt Cooke over the past few years I can safely conclude that your love will never be conquered given the incredible number of fluffy snowballs you fire out at your detractors any time his name comes up.

Fortunately for Penguin/Cooke fans and defenders of Castle Greyskull, the league was behind the 8-ball with regards to disclinpling the biggest bum it has had in the new century of the game.

Guys like Gilles and Tootoo (who play with an “edge” - what a cute label) only wish they had a resume like Cooke’s.

Keep fighting the good fight, Evil.  Your dedication to your craft on this particular topic is something to admire.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 03/09/11 at 03:49 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

A great car salesman, actor and now a great contributor to KK. Is there anything Leo Racicot can’t do?!?!? wink

Posted by Hank1974 on 03/09/11 at 03:52 PM ET

Randy from Butler PA's avatar

I am a Matt Cooke fan. He has seemed to toned down the cheap hits since the suspension. I hope it continues

Posted by Randy from Butler PA on 03/09/11 at 05:40 PM ET