Martin St. Louis Does Not Put An End To Trade Talk Speculation

Marty St. Louis had a chance to put the trade rumors to rest earlier today but instead added more speculation to the mix.

I tweeted this earlier but in case you missed it...

Arthur Staple of Newsday included this in a blog post today...

I’ve now heard from three different NHL people that Martin St. Louis did indeed request a trade last month. He has a full no-move clause, so he could pick his destination. That would seem to be the Rangers. St. Louis has an offseason home in Greenwich, Conn.

Have to see how that plays out and whether St. Louis ultimately getting to go to Sochi and win a gold medal has changed his feelings. But if this all stemmed from Steve Yzerman passing St. Louis over for the initial Team Canada roster, that may trump John Tavares’ season-ending injury as exhibit A for owners and GMs never wanting the NHL in the Olympics again.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Tampa Bay Lightning, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: martin+st.+louis

Comments

Hootinani's avatar

It really seems like an odd time to request a trade, and if the rumor is true, an odd destination for a veteran nearing the end of his career.

Posted by Hootinani on 02/26/14 at 02:39 PM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

Hootinani, those were my thoughts exactly. TB is up there in the standings and is surely a contender in the East. Something must have gone wrong there for him to want out…

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 02/26/14 at 03:39 PM ET

Something must have gone wrong there for him to want out…

Like being snubbed by his GM who selected the Olympic team?

Posted by Garth on 02/26/14 at 03:43 PM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

Garth, that did cross my mind as a potential reason, but it seems petty at this point, especially considering that he ended up getting to be there. Even if he didn’t get to go, despite how painful it might have been, you’d think he’d understand that it’s business, not personal.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 02/26/14 at 03:48 PM ET

Well, two things.  First is that the only reason he went to Sochi was because Tampa’s golden boy ended up ducking out.  If Yzerman had his way, Stamkos would’ve been in Sochi and St. Louis would’ve been on vacation.  Second is that St. Louis is seventh in the league among Canadian forwards in scoring.  ot selecting him sends a message.  It could be argued that a guy like Tyler Sequin is having his first big year or that Taylor Hall is the best player on a shitty, shitty team, so they are unproven. But St. Louis is a one-time Conn Smythe winner (sure, it was a decade ago, but it means he’s proven), he’s the leading scorer on Tampa Bay and he’s the reigning Art Ross winner.

One might say that Yzerman leaving him off the team was petty…

Posted by Garth on 02/26/14 at 04:02 PM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

I assume you meant Hart since Richards won the Conn Smythe, but I completely see where you’re coming from. Perhaps the final decision was Yzerman’s, but I imagine he had pressure from his colleagues that for some (stupid) reason didn’t want Marty on the team. You’d think Yzerman would have been a proponent for his captain, but perhaps not I guess.

Either way though, I don’t think he should take it out on his teammates and TB fans, who will likely lose out on a deep playoff run without him.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 02/26/14 at 04:19 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

One might say that Yzerman leaving him off the team was petty…

Pettiness needs a motivation, doesn’t it?  Do you have one to offer?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/26/14 at 04:22 PM ET

because Tampa’s golden boy ended up ducking out.

I thought it was because the broken leg hadn’t healed in enough time. It’s not like he was ready soon thereafter, considering he will miss Tampa’s next 4 games coming out of the olympic break.

Or do you have some hockeyyinsiderr info?

Posted by fromdowntown on 02/26/14 at 04:32 PM ET

RockWestfall711's avatar

This situation is WORSE than the injuries.

TBL fans and sponsors that have spent THOUSANDS of dollars now how their investment and dream season in peril because of the Olympics and NOT the NHL.  Best reason yet to never do this again.

Have a Canada Cup after the Stanley Cup with NO NHL GM or coaches allowed.

The TBY franchise has been through so much and now faces a breakthrough season being ruined over stupidity.  NO MORE OLYMPICS and NO MORE NHL GM’s and COACHES in international competition.

Posted by RockWestfall711 from Las Vegas on 02/26/14 at 04:49 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

If this is anybody but Marty St. Louis, I have a feeling the hockey world turns on him pretty quickly.

Guy can do whatever he wants and I don’t rightfully care or blame him, but he’s abandoning his teammates and the Tampa Bay Lightning fanbase all because he’s a bit huffy about a snub for the Olympic roster that turned out not to be snub.

Dude got his gold medal and he still wants to go somewhere else because Yzerman hurt his feelings (supposedly).

You think if Burke and Ryan were both still in Anaheim and things had gone differently for the American team that the player gets away from this situation unscathed?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/26/14 at 05:11 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Bob McKenzie says St. Louis wants a trade to the Rangers.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/26/14 at 05:19 PM ET

Yes.  Brain fart, my bad.

That’s the thing I don’t get.

It’s possible that Yzerman fought to have him on the team, but it’s hard for me to reconcile that.  It seems that Babcock wanted him since he played St Louis in four of Canada’s six games, including the gold medal game, and one would think that if he had the head coach and the GM on his side, what kind of argument against him could pressure Yzerman to not take him?

It’s not even like anyone would’ve been up in arms if he had been chosen in the first place.

I don’t disagree.

Do you have one to offer?

I don’t know, Yzerman’s jealous of St. Louis’ s penis?

Or do you have some hockeyyinsiderr info?

No, I have the publicly known info that he was chosen for the team but had to duck out because of his injuries.

Posted by Garth on 02/26/14 at 05:34 PM ET

Hard to say.  If we didn’t have the visual evidence of Burke arguing against Ryan then Burke could easily go to Ryan and say “Hey, I fought for you, but Poile had the last word”.  As it stands, with the video of Burke questioning Ryan’s intensity (and the fact that it’s Brian Burke) I have a hard time thinking that people would turn on Ryan.

Posted by Garth on 02/26/14 at 05:45 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Yeah I agree with that.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/26/14 at 06:03 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

More wonderful fallout from the NHL participation in the Olympics.

Hopefully March’s TV ratings show an uptick of 0.01% in viewership, so we can continue this wonderful symbiotic relationship with the IOC.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 02/26/14 at 07:03 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Who knows, but the politics of the selection process could be a reason why Yzerman decided to call it quits as Team Canada GM

Posted by Hootinani on 02/26/14 at 07:30 PM ET

Posted by Hootinani on 02/26/14 at 07:30 PM ET

Possibly, but it was essentially the same braintrust this year as it was in 2010, wasn’t it?  At least most of the core was the same…

Posted by Garth on 02/26/14 at 08:55 PM ET