Martin Hanzal’s elbow on Erik Johnson: is it a matter of player culpability?

One injury, two very differen takes. Again, via Pro Hockey Talk's Dhiren Mahibian, this time it's Arizona Coyotes forward Martin Hanzal hitting Colorado Avalanche defenseman Erik Johnson, and the Coyotes' announcers are more critical of the hit than the Avs' announcers:

Does Johnson leaning down on the follow-through of his shot = "Well Martin Hanzal is so strong..." and an unintentional elbow, well, shit happens?

Filed in: | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: colorado+avalanche, erik+johnson, martin+hanzal, phoenix+coyotes

Comments

Chet's avatar

Is there any angle that clearly shows he was knocked out? I hate to say it, but is there some selling here?

Hanzal isn’t known for this. Did Johnson come back to the game? To me the follow-through looks like very little. Johnson goes flying, but.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 11/26/14 at 07:24 AM ET

Chet's avatar

Never mind, I watched the first video again. Arm to his head even though he is low… Illegal in today’s NHL. End of story.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 11/26/14 at 07:25 AM ET

Chet's avatar

Oh, yeah. It was entirely avoidable.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 11/26/14 at 07:26 AM ET

I don’t think this was a bad hit. Johnson is leaning down big time. This doesn’t look like an intentional elbow to the head, more like Johnson is down and they collide. Just doesn’t seem like an intent to injure.

Posted by George0211 on 11/26/14 at 08:30 AM ET

Chet's avatar

My memory of the rule is that you cannot target the head under almost any circumstance… Of course he is low, but still, in today’s NHL for better or worse this looks like it may be a suspension. I am usually wrong predicting this stuff.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 11/26/14 at 10:32 AM ET

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 11/26/14 at 09:32 AM ET

I guess it depends on the definition of “targeting”. There is actual targeting and then there is accidental hitting. I think this is the case of someone’s head is way too low and not hitting it was difficult. I don’t know, just my opinion. I know Johnson got hurt on the play, but this didn’t seem like purposeful targeting of the head.

Posted by George0211 on 11/26/14 at 10:36 AM ET

nEgativezEro's avatar

I think the follow-through with Hanzel’s arms is going to be the sticking point with the discipline committee. Johnson for sure has some culpability here because of his positioning, but as is the standard in the NHL now, hits to the head are to be avoided at all costs. If Hanzel had simply skated through him he might have been okay, but seeing his arms/elbows rise after finishing the check, I think Quintal will definitely be taking a hard look at this one.

Posted by nEgativezEro on 11/26/14 at 10:50 AM ET