Mark Cuban On The CBA Talks

from Jimmy Toscano of CSNNE,

...he doesn't cringe when he sees NHL owners trying to find a CBA that's going to really work this time around.

"No, actually, [I don't cringe]," Cuban said. "I think they're smart. You got to fix the problem. I cringed like with what we did. But if you don't fix the problems, they escalate, so they didn't fix them the last time, and they should have. So you see where they are now.

"When you have all your southern franchises basically sucking wind, there's a message there that you have to fix it. I mean, you have two different worlds; the north and the south. It's kind of like the civil war right now going on, and it's got to be fixed. So, yeah I'd cringe more as a hockey fan. I'd cringe more if they don't fix it. Just like the last one, it's only been like seven years right? But I even wrote a blog back then that they should have fixed it, and they didn't."

The NHL and NHLPA are reportedly stuck on the more "minor" issues, but Cuban says that whatever the issues are, when the CBA is finally agreed upon, the NHL better be in a place that it can succeed in.

"I don't know all the particulars, but whatever it is they gotta fix, they gotta fix it," Cuban said. "And if a market like the [Dallas] Stars can't survive with whatever they do, they should be embarrassed, because this is your chance to fix this."

Filed in: NHL Talk, NHLPA, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mark+cuban

Comments

pautna's avatar

““I don’t know all the particulars…” Then shut up.

Posted by pautna on 12/13/12 at 10:00 AM ET

shanetx's avatar

Cuban four years ago:  Likeable loudmouth, self-made millionaire, a guy who wanted to win at all costs and was genuinely creative about making his doormat of a team into an attractive destination, who cared too much and got afoul of his league numerous times in the process of pursuing a championship.

Cuban now?  A guy who couldn’t meet with a top-15 level player as a free agent (Darren Williams) who wanted to sign with him and play in his home town… because Cuban was busy filming a reality tv show.

That’s a lot of range.  At some point in that descent it would probably have been a good idea to stop considering him a source for ANYTHING.  If a team owner can’t even reliably tell you what happened during the courtship of a marquee free agent for his team… Why on earth would you give any weight to anything else he had to say?

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 12/13/12 at 10:29 AM ET

Paul From Cali's avatar

As bad as it seems the NHL financial situation is, it’s not as screwed up as the NBA.  Almost every player in the NBA is vastly overpaid, probably two to three times what they’d make in any other sports league if they had similar talent for that league and in the NBA the players hold 100% of the power.  The only reason the NBA survives is ESPN and TNT.  If the NBA lost one of it’s major TV deals and had to move to a “secondary” outlet, like the NHL CHOSE to do 8 years ago, the NBA would fail.

When this is all over, and in future CBAs, the NHL will be far more stable then the NBA.

Posted by Paul From Cali on 12/13/12 at 12:00 PM ET

““I don’t know all the particulars…” Then shut up.

a) The list of people who do know all of the particulars in this case is incredibly short.

b) The list of people who know all the particulars about any issue ever discussed here is incredibly short.

I hope so… but then, I hoped that after the last lockout.

The NHL has some serious financial issues which need to be addressed.  I think it’s unlikely that the NHLPA would allow itself to admit that.  I think a lockout after which the NHL can impose it’s will on the NHLPA is the only way to really fix the financial issues.

I just don’t think the NHL is smart enough to actually do it after they break the NHLPA (again) and get their (second) chance.

That’s my biggest fear.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 12/13/12 at 12:30 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

The NHLPA did admit that, they just didn’t want to foot the bill for all those financial problems out of their salaries, given that the last CBA was supposed to correct these issues as well.  I think the 3 or 4 lucrative NHL franchises are the real roadblock to the league as a whole being healthy. Not the NHLPA.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 12/13/12 at 01:11 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Yes! Thank you, HockeytownOverhaul!  I couldn’t agree more.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 12/13/12 at 01:34 PM ET