Mario Lemieux Releases Statement On Friday’s Penguins/Islanders Game

(Pittsburgh) - “Hockey is a tough, physical game, and it always should be. But what happened Friday night on Long Island wasn’t hockey. It was a travesty. It was painful to watch the game I love turn into a sideshow like that.

“The NHL had a chance to send a clear and strong message that those kinds of actions are unacceptable and embarrassing to the sport. It failed.

“If the events relating to Friday night reflect the state of the league, I need to re-think whether I want to be a part of it.”

added 2:55pm, via Darren Dreger tweet,

Bill Daly: “We are entirely comfortable with how Friday night’s events were handled.  We have no other response to Mr. Lemieux’s statement.”

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Islanders, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mario+lemieux

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

TRIVIA QUESTION - which team leads the league in fighting majors this year? Yep, they’re choir boys being victimized.

Funny, I always thought that fighting was usually two willing participants.  I must have missed the part where the Pens just beat down on everyone and that by being in the most fights, it somehow justifies, even slightly, what happened.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 02/13/11 at 06:12 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I recall a certain fanbase highly critical of the Flyers for leading the league in fighting majors not even two seasons ago.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/13/11 at 06:15 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

I will actually be surprised if he isn’t fined by the NHL. An owner can not come out and rip the league office like that and get away with it. If the NHL does nothing, then they really are just showing they have no backbone, as Lemieux implies.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 02/13/11 at 06:23 PM ET

I’m sure it had nothing to do with the fact that Pens fans are critical about everything the Flyers do.  It’s not like they are rivals or anything.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 02/13/11 at 06:24 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I forgot about the Flyers rivalry with the long-standing Caps rivalry.

I hope the sarcasm came through.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/13/11 at 06:46 PM ET

Thag's avatar

Mario is such a whiny little bitch…

Posted by Thag from DC on 02/13/11 at 07:20 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

I’m not the only one who believes Lemiux has a point: “Good for (Lemieux),” veteran Bruins player Mark Recchi told Boston reporter Joe Haggerty.” I’m glad he said it because the (NHL sanctions) weren’t strong enough. Not even close.”

And Mark Recchi agrees with that whiny bitch. That should tell you something.

Posted by cs6687 on 02/13/11 at 07:44 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

way to go cs6687

Posted by Evilpens on 02/13/11 at 08:06 PM ET

edillac's avatar

need more lottery picks?
or what

Posted by edillac from isolation on 02/13/11 at 08:21 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

need more lottery picks?
or what

Most pointless statement of the day.

Posted by cs6687 on 02/13/11 at 08:31 PM ET

edillac's avatar

what?
his usual tactics,
Crosby might never be the same,Malkin also,and that new kid,
so its time for some more top picks or his team is over

Posted by edillac from isolation on 02/13/11 at 08:38 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

what?
his usual tactics,
Crosby might never be the same,Malkin also,and that new kid,
so its time for some more top picks or his team is over

Yes. Mario planned for Crosby to suffer a concussion, Malkin to tear multiple knee ligaments, and several other key players to get hurt and suspended. I truly hope you’re not this stupid.

Posted by cs6687 on 02/13/11 at 08:40 PM ET

edillac's avatar

his usual tactic to get good players for his team,
whining and threatening to leave

Posted by edillac from isolation on 02/13/11 at 08:42 PM ET

And Mark Recchi agrees with that whiny bitch. That should tell you something.

Actually, it tells me NOTHING.  All it tells me is that I disagree with Recchi as well.

Posted by BrandNewDream on 02/13/11 at 09:43 PM ET

I don’t understand what the debate here is. Any hockey fan should agree at the least with these two core parts of Mario’s statement:

- But what happened Friday night on Long Island wasn’t hockey. It was a travesty. It was painful to watch the game I love turn into a sideshow like that.

- “We, as a league, must do a better job of protecting the integrity of the game and the safety of our players.  We must make it clear that those kinds of actions will not be tolerated and will be met with meaningful disciplinary action.

As for folks claiming he’s being hypocritical by employing Cookie, please read Wyshynski’s piece specifically on that topic:

Posted by penguinsfan on 02/13/11 at 10:02 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I love how the Pens whine when they get the same treatment they hand out to everyone else.  I love even more how they whine when the NHL suspends its unofficial star treatment policy.  Welcome back to the NHL every other team plays in guys, its good to have you back.

I respect Lemieux, but the Pens as an organization have been silent or standoffish about their own transgressions far too long to have any credibility at this point.  If Lemieux thinks that kind of hockey is a travesty, why has he allowed it to go on for so long with Matt Cooke?  I think its a valid question (and I say that while trying to hold back my bias regarding the Pens).  I think this a “reap what you sew” situation Mario.

The NHL might have been weak in the punishments its handed out, and Lemieux isn’t wrong on that point, but as far as the NYI is concerned I really can’t blame them (personally) for “letting it all out” on Pittsburgh.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 02/14/11 at 12:07 AM ET

Wow - a lot of people hitching their wagons to the comparison between apples (Isles ‘70’s-style goonery) and oranges (Cooke’s dirty play).  If it helps you sleep at night, more power to you.

Posted by CallMeJerry on 02/14/11 at 12:55 AM ET

The NHL should be held criminally responsible for the lack of action they took in this game. I mean suspending a player for 10 games because he left the bench to protect his Goalie. What did the Islander player get for skating to the opposite end of the rink to go after the goalie with no referee in sight? Also, the Islanders premeditated this line of action by bringing up their AHL players. The commissioner of the NHL is a joke…

Posted by Mike on 02/27/11 at 04:14 PM ET