Malkin Dominant In Win Over Detroit

from Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review,

It was only a preseason game, but Evgeni Malkin’s performance Wednesday night may indicate a huge season awaits the Penguins’ star center.

In his first game since tearing his right ACL in February, Malkin paved the way to a 3-2 win over Detroit in the exhibition opener at Consol Energy Center. Showing bursts of speed that have been evident during training camp, Malkin scored a beautiful goal and set up another in 20 minutes, 51 seconds of ice time.

“He was at a dominant level,” coach Dan Bylsma said.

Malkin forced four turnovers during an inspired first period.

“Even though it was just an exhibition game,” he said, “it was good.”

more on the game…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: evgeni+malkin

Comments

Evilpens's avatar

Geno looked like the Geno of 2009 Conn Smythe winner vintage. & Joe Morrow looks like the real deal, Man was he smooth out there or what? I was disappointed when they chose him instead of a Winger But he really looked good

Posted by Evilpens on 09/22/11 at 01:06 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

While Malkin did look good last night, all 3 goals were extremely weak.  The first 2 Howard went down way early and left the short side corner wide open, which was a problem he had for a majority of last season.  The 3rd goal he let a point shot go right through him with no screen.  What was worse, MacDonald came out in the 3rd and looked great, stopping several difficult shots, and really made Howard look bad.  I know Howard hasn’t had time to practice because of his foot, but that was brutal.

Posted by Hootinani on 09/22/11 at 01:24 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I’m still stewing that Time Warner Cable blacked out the NHL feed as a local broadcast. I live in Akron and they think that means the greater Pittsburgh area. I’m still so annoyed that I missed that preseason game!

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 09/22/11 at 01:54 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I’m still so annoyed that I missed that preseason game!

In the future, try one of these two sites for online streaming of NHL games…
- http://www.firstrowsports.tv/sport/ice-hockey.html
- http://www.vipbox.tv/sports/ice-hockey.html

Both worked fine for me last night.

As for Malkin, I have to say he looked energized. And it looked to me like he’s slimmed down a bit. Wings fans will get to see how he looks on Sunday when Fox Sports Detroit broadcasts their first Wings preseason game.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/22/11 at 02:12 PM ET

red_wings_49's avatar

Eh, I’ll see it first hand myself while I’m there wink

Posted by red_wings_49 from Mad Heights, MI on 09/22/11 at 03:37 PM ET

Posted by OlderThanChelios on 09/22/11 at 12:12 PM ET

Are those Red Wings specific sites or just general sports/hockey broadcast sites?

Occasionally Versus will be showing Philly when I’ll want to check out the other Versus game in, say, Dallas, which won’t be available anywhere.

Posted by steviesteve on 09/22/11 at 03:58 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Generic sites, Steve.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 09/22/11 at 04:12 PM ET

Thanks. I’ll set the old bookmark.

Posted by steviesteve on 09/22/11 at 04:17 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Aww…what’s wrong? Didn’t want to listen to Ken and Mick? Last night we had to listen to whoever those shmucks were.  smile

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 09/22/11 at 05:12 PM ET