Making The Most Of An Opportunity

from Adam Kimelman of NHL.com,

The lasting image of Steve Downie might be from his rookie season, when he delivered a vicious check to the head of Ottawa’s Dean McAmmond. Downie, then with the Philadelphia Flyers, received a 20-game suspension for the hit, and gained a reputation as a dirty player.

Last season, however, Downie went a long way in changing his reputation from troubled to talented.

In his first full NHL season, with the Tampa Bay Lightning, Downie showed the skills that made him a first-round draft pick, as he scored 22 goals on just 116 shots. Of the 110 players who scored 20 goals last season, none accomplished it on fewer shots than Downie, and only one played less than the 14:42 per game he averaged last season.

continued with more players that fall in this group…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Tampa Bay Lightning, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: steve+downie

Comments

Evilpens's avatar

Ummm Checkout the figure 4 leglock he tried on Sidney Crosby during a game, He is a still a WHACKJOB

Posted by Evilpens on 07/29/10 at 01:47 PM ET

Animal Drew's avatar

Ok…I watched the video.  Yeah it was a dirty slewfoot attempt that ended up with Crosby in an awkward position…but then #87 did his usual soccer player “act like I just got shot” routine which really bothers me.

Posted by Animal Drew from A Nightmare on Helm Street on 07/29/10 at 02:07 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

UMMM have you ever hurt anything in your life?? Like a Severely sprained Ankle or Wrist?? You think the second you do it that it’s broke & then the initial pain subsides. God Lord you Red Wing Fans are ridiculous   shut eye

Posted by Evilpens on 07/29/10 at 02:16 PM ET

Animal Drew's avatar

Yes I have.  In fact, I’ve done it playing hockey too.  I’ve separated a shoulder, received concussions, and taken a laundry list of sprained ankles, hyperextended joints, etc - the one time I needed to be helped off the ice?  When I was knocked unconscious and suffered a Tier II concussion.

Gary Roberts (as a Penguin) once broke his leg and waived off the stretcher insisting to get off the ice under his own power.  That’s a tough guy (and a Penguin).  It’s always much better to see a ridiculous and un-necessary display of toughness (Roberts) than it is to see a ridiculous and un-necessary display of pain (Crosby).

So you see - I’ve compared two PITTSBURGH players.  It has nothing to do with where I’m from or what team I root for.  I don’t appreciate theatrics.

Period.

Posted by Animal Drew from A Nightmare on Helm Street on 07/29/10 at 05:17 PM ET

Wow. Seriously, take off the red and white tinted glasses. Sid was down for a little over 10 seconds after taking a really cheap hit. Thats hardly acting like he got shot.

Way to troll it up though.

Posted by Kstewy16 on 07/29/10 at 06:56 PM ET

Animal Drew's avatar

Troll it up on a post by Paul?  Explain that to me…it’s not like I went over to The Confluence and started picking a fight with Tony - though, for the record, he and I get along just fine.

I do find it humorous that you guys take the “NUH UH!” defense of Sidney anytime someone criticizes him for embelleshing/whining/whatever charming attribute someone wants to talk about.

Posted by Animal Drew from A Nightmare on Helm Street on 07/29/10 at 07:53 PM ET

I love it. Pure troll fashion. Troll it up and when someone calls your bullshit you complain about them being defensive.

Posted by Kstewy16 on 07/29/10 at 08:45 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Ask not for whom the bell trolls, it trolls for thee.

I don’t think being of the opinion that Crosby embellished here is trollish.  The guy said he dove, that he thinks diving is a habit of Crosby’s, and that he doesn’t like diving.  Pretty on-topic stuff, really.

You can disagree, but the most trollish comment in this entire thread is “Red Wings fans are ridiculous.”

Totally cheap shot by Downey though and I don’t think this was an embellishment by Sid.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/29/10 at 09:25 PM ET