Make An Offer For Bobby Ryan

from Sportsnet,

The struggling Anaheim Ducks could be looking to make a move.

The Ducks, who have only one win in the month of November, have been shopping forward Bobby Ryan, a NHL executive has told Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos.

Ryan has been underperforming this season, with only 11 points in 21 games. The three-time 30-goal scorer has just six points and a minus-9 rating in the month of November.

continued

I’ve been listening to Fan590 in Toronto all morning and I hope your proposals are better than what I have been hearing.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Anaheim Ducks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: bobby+ryan

Comments

Nathan's avatar

Jakub Kindl
Riley Sheahan
2nd round pick

Comparable to the Mike Richards deal.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 11/29/11 at 02:25 PM ET

Paul's avatar

One Toronto proposal was Komisarek, a first and 2nd.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/29/11 at 02:30 PM ET

TheFreak's avatar

Hudler, Brunnstrom & Ericsson

Posted by TheFreak on 11/29/11 at 02:32 PM ET

simon despres

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 11/29/11 at 02:39 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by TheFreak on 11/29/11 at 11:32 AM ET

I’m only half sure you’re just making a joke…

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 11/29/11 at 02:40 PM ET

Da lil Guy's avatar

From Ottawa:

Nick Foligno, David Rundblad, 2012 1st & conditional 2012 2nd (3rd if Ottawa doesn’t make the playoffs).

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 11/29/11 at 02:41 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Let me expand on mine to indicate what I’d be willing to part with.

- Jakub Kindl
- Any one of Riley Sheahan/Tomas Jurco/Tomas Tatar/Calle Jarnkrok/Teemu Pulkkinen/Gustav Nyquist or a 1st round pick
- Any other prospect not named Brendan Smith or a 2nd round pick

And while it goes against everything I would normally believe in, if it could get done for Brendan Smith and a 2nd round pick, I just might take my chances given that Ryan Suter may well be available as a free agent soon.

Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Filppula, and Bobby Ryan as my top five forwards for at least the next few seasons? I’ll take it. Sprinkle in cheap entry level contracts for a couple seasons to the guys listed above that weren’t traded and you’ve got depth in talent up front, even with the likely retirements of Holmstrom and Bertuzzi.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 11/29/11 at 02:51 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

How about this:

Ken Holland agrees to call Carlyle and fire him for Bob Murray (since he seems scared to do it).
Detroit throws in a case of Rogaine for Getzlaf.
A year’s supply of Summer’s Eve for Corey Perry.
Jakub Kindl, Riley Sheahan, and a 2nd round pick, just like Nathan says.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/29/11 at 02:54 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 11/29/11 at 11:51 AM ET

I’d agree with that, but I’d place Nyquist on the untouchable list with Smith. I’d much prefer Ryan over Iginla.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 11/29/11 at 02:59 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

I’ll give ‘em tree fitty.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 11/29/11 at 02:59 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

As much as I’m not a fan of the Ducks, Ryan is a proven commodity and a way better option than Iginla looking long-term.  Still, I absolutely would not want to part with any of Nyquist, Jarnkrok, Pulkkinen or Jurco to make it happen.  Even moving Tatar doesn’t feel right to me, but Nyquist’s development makes it do-able.  Under no circumstances would I even think to move Smith, even if Kenny were able to pick up one of the Nashville Big Two on D.

Kindl is an attractive chip though, especially with the Ian White pickup working out so well so far and Smith’s performance this year in the games he’s gone in.  Guys like Ferraro and Sheahan, as well as Aubry, to me are the prospects the Wings should be thinking about making available.  Plus a first round pick wouldn’t hurt - we saw what Jim Nill did last year without a first in managing to grab Jurco in the second round.

Posted by BrendonR on 11/29/11 at 03:06 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

I’m sure the Kings would be happy to trade Dustin Penner back to Anaheim for Bobby LOL

In seriousness though, I have a feeling none of the really good teams will get him, as one of the struggling teams is likely to vastly overpay to get Ryan, and offer something the smart, non-desperate GM’s wouldn’t do.

Wouldn’t be shocked at all to see Ryan end up in Carolina (they really need scoring and are shopping D-men) or Washington (maybe a blockbuster involving Semin?)

If I were Nashville I would go HARD after this.  They desperately need scoring, and if they don’t think they can sign Suter, maybe there’s your trade.

I’d love the Wings to get him, but I don’t think Holland will be willing to match the crazy offers I’m sure the Ducks will get.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 11/29/11 at 03:08 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

The Wings are not a cup contender with neither the cap space nor trade prospects equal to what Ryan is worth.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 11/29/11 at 03:39 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

“The Wings are not a cup contender with neither the cap space nor trade prospects equal to what Ryan is worth”

Zing.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 11/29/11 at 03:47 PM ET

If I were Nashville I would go HARD after this.

I agree, if only because Nashville is a team on a budget and bringing in Ryan means they are less likely to be able to sign both Suter and Weber.

Posted by Garth on 11/29/11 at 03:47 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

Posted by Garth on 11/29/11 at 12:47 PM ET

I just think Nashville should because they’ve never had this rare creature known as an offensively talented forward.

I’m sure the Kings would love him too, but no way Anaheim trades him in their own division.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 11/29/11 at 04:10 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by BrendonR from Toronto, ON on 11/29/11 at 12:06 PM ET

I think this is a classic example of a fan overvaluing their team’s prospects.

When I thought about it, the only guy that was an obvious untouchable was Smith, but I did have a hard time with Nyquist. So I won’t hammer you for wanting those two untouchable.

But it is important to remember that Jurco, Pulkkinen, Sheahan, and Jarnkrok have yet to prove themselves in professional hockey on a North American rink. To give up one, and heck, even two of those guys for a 24 year old player that has proven significantly talented and valuable at the NHL level and still has a good 10 years of hockey left.

Ultimately, that’s why I am willing to consider Tatar and Nyquist as in the discussion as well. Tatar doesn’t have great footspeed, and doesn’t have size to make up for it like Bobby Ryan. Nyquist can skate well and is strong on the puck, but I think we might be a little blindsided by a strong camp and some freshman luck in the AHL.

Think of it this way—if you look at his size and his strengths as a player, Nyquist looks an awful lot like Filppula, both at comparable stages of their careers and on projection. Both guys make up for a lack of bulk with strong skating, tenacious work ethic, and good finesse. But both guys also have a pass first mentality, in large part because neither has a great shot. Filppula is just now finally starting to shoot the puck a little more, and he’s 27 years old.

If the Ducks offered you a trade of Bobby Ryan for Filppula, would you take it? I would take it before they hung up the phone, but they’d never offer that trade or accept that offer…

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 11/29/11 at 04:50 PM ET

$0.20 for Bobby Ryan.  Straight up.

[snort]

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 11/29/11 at 04:53 PM ET

Primis's avatar

This is all stupid because there’s no way the Ducks are trading Ryan, don’t care what the rumors are.  At least, they’re not if the GM has any interest in ever being a GM again in the league.

What, they think Selanne’s playing another 10 years?

Also no way I’d want Ryan on my team.  He’s a big baby, makes Crosby look freaking mature… the guy threw not one, but TWO huge fits (like as in jumping up and down screaming, acting like a imbecile) in front of the ref last time DET played ANA.  The clown can stay in ANA.

Posted by Primis on 11/29/11 at 04:54 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

I think this is a classic example of a fan overvaluing their team’s prospects.

...Let someone else fall in love with potential, and when there is an opportunity to get proven talent, I’ll take it.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 11/29/11 at 01:50 PM ET

To me it’s about the longer term future.  The list I put down (which didn’t have Sheahan in it) to me is the pool from which the Wings will fill their forward lines looking forward.  I guess part of the reason I value Jarnkrok and Pulkkinen is more the value the Wings will likely get from them versus how low they were picked at the draft.  Same with Jurco - to me he’s likely to turn into a legit draft day steal not going in the first round.  Yes I understand its all potential, but I trust in the Detroit development system.  Still, you’re right, it would make too much sense to move them to get offence in the form of Ryan now.

Posted by BrendonR on 11/29/11 at 05:26 PM ET

Bobby Ryan’s not going anywhere.

And I once said the exact same thing about Paul Kariya and Chris Chelios.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 11/29/11 at 05:33 PM ET

I’m a fan of Bobby Ryan, but not at the cost Murray will command. He’s a deadly forward down low with good size. The Wings need another big winger. Bertuzzi’s adequate and Franzen doesn’t throw his weight around like he should.

I hope Holland holds his cards for now, and takes a run at either Parise or a big forward with nice hands (scarce, I know).

Posted by Jesters Dead on 11/29/11 at 05:55 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

I don’t think any of us are sitting here like Eklund guaranteeing a move. It’s just a fun discussion and we all acknowledge that it’s one of those things that we have to see to believe.

I will say however, I don’t think it’s that crazy. Murray is limited in what he can do because they are paying out a lot of bad contracts to older players. A lot of money frees up in the next offseason, but is Anaheim a destination for UFAs? The best way for a team like the Ducks to improve is the draft, followed by trade. They have so little top six caliber forward depth in their organizationally that it actually would make sense to trade Ryan for one or two prospects plus a pick.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 11/29/11 at 05:57 PM ET

Kostitsyn, Weber, Tinordi, Gomez, and a 2nd round pick

for

Bobby Ryan and Saku Koivu

would be my Habs dream. And don’t worry, I am laughing and crying while I type that.

Posted by Shaun from Toronto on 11/29/11 at 06:08 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Sportsnet with a few teams that would have interest in Ryan.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/29/11 at 07:11 PM ET

Gomez for Ryan straight up.  Anyone?  Anyone?  Buell… ah never mind.

Posted by dwgs on 11/30/11 at 12:17 AM ET

Gomez going the other way is too much money for the other guy.  Really, who’s going to pick up the $7.3 million cap hit on that?  Habs are probably stuck with that albatross till it expires after the 2014 season.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 11/30/11 at 01:10 AM ET