Luongo To The Flyers? Don’t Think So

via Frank Seravalli of the Philadelphia Daily News,

On Wednesday, the hot rumor was Luongo to . . . the Flyers?

It all started with a report from former player-turned-analyst Enrico Ciccone, who tweeted that the Flyers have interest in Luongo. His report was seconded by TSN analyst James Duthie, who is believed to be a close friend of Luongo.

When contacted, Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren quickly shot down the rumors.

"That made me chuckle," Holmgren told the Daily News. "It's safe to say those rumors aren't true. They have no basis or merit."

On many levels, the Flyers trading for another goaltender doesn't seem to make sense. Though he has a better track record, Luongo, 33, is 1 year older than Ilya Bryzgalov, and has more years (10) and money remaining on his contract ($47 million). Bryzgalov is due $41 million over the next eight seasons.

Even if the Flyers were to buy out Bryzgalov next summer with the CBA's new "compliance buyout," there are questions about whether they could afford Luongo and Bryzgalov's buyout cap hit on a $64.3 million ceiling.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Philadelphia Flyers, Vancouver Canucks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: roberto+luongo

Comments

I HATE the fact that the flyers will be able to buy out the bryz contract.  I hate hate hate it.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 01/10/13 at 12:46 PM ET

The best part of the rumor was what Adrian Dater said on Twitter. The Canucks were asking for Grossmann, but that is considered too high a price. Luke Schenn, on the other hand, might be in play.

I’m not up on the Flyers, but is Grossmann that much better than Schenn? I thought Grossman was a 5-7 stay-at-home D with a busted knee.

And it that is too high a price for Luongo, the Canucks are in a pickle.

Posted by YouppiKiYay on 01/10/13 at 01:07 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

pratt, Canucks having some cap issues so can’t take a lot of salary back.  They’ll probably get a high level prospect who still needs some time to develop.  And as for Holmgren, I could’ve SWORE I heard something just like this before Jeff Carter went to Cbus.  Could’ve swore.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/10/13 at 01:37 PM ET

henrymalredo's avatar

I’ve learned to just assume that as long as Holmgren is GM of the Flyers, they’ll be interested in any big name trade target or free agent no matter how little sense it may make.

Posted by henrymalredo from Lansing on 01/10/13 at 01:40 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

“Jeff called me and asked about the rumors two weeks ago,” Curran said. “He figured teams were asking about him anyways. I called Paul and I asked him if this is something we should be concerned about.

“Paul assured me that there was nothing to worry about, that they weren’t interested in trading Jeff. He told me that Jeff could come in and meet with him to tell him the same things. And he did. He assured him that they weren’t trading him.”

That made me chuckle.  Bobby Lou to Philly.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/10/13 at 01:41 PM ET

Couldn’t have said it any better.

Posted by Geno71 on 01/10/13 at 01:46 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Lets see here !! dump a Goaile who crapped the bed in 1st high pressure situation & trade for a guy who has crapped the bed in a high pressure situation LOL

Sounds like a solid plan

Posted by Evilpens on 01/10/13 at 02:39 PM ET