Lou Lamoriello Named President Of Hockey Operations For The New York Islanders

from the New York Isanders,

The New York Islanders announced today the hiring of Lou Lamoriello as President of Hockey Operations. He will have full authority over all hockey matters with the organization.

"We are grateful to Larry Tanenbaum and the Toronto Maple Leafs for their courtesy in allowing this move," Managing Partner of the Islanders, Scott Malkin said. "We are committed to giving Lou every resource and the full support of the entire organization as we pursue our program to compete at the highest level."

"I am excited to join such a storied franchise and look forward to working with Scott Malkin and the entire New York Islanders organization," Lamoriello said.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Islanders, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: lou+lamoriello

Comments

shazam88's avatar

later, Garth

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 05/22/18 at 09:23 AM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I understand that Lamoriello has had past success in NJ, but in Toronto what exactly did Lou do? I mean, the Leafs had top 5 draft picks and got good players, and the team got better

No sure the situation in Long Island will result in such a quick turnaround, and no offense, but how much longer will Lou be working? I guess he brings a bit of stability to the organization, but I don’t see him being a miracle worker. I would be surprised if Tavares stays simply because Lou has arrived because that is the long game and I think Tavares wants to win now, not 5 years down the road when he is 33/34 ..

I could be wrong, but I don’t think Tavares stays….

Posted by Down River Dan on 05/22/18 at 09:52 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Have to give the guy credit, he certainly has a work ethic

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 05/22/18 at 10:16 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I NOW consider John Tavares an Islander for the next 8 years.

This team had been so close to being a true contender a few times over the last few years, but Snow really screwed it up by letting some key UFAs walk.

Posted by TreKronor on 05/22/18 at 12:23 PM ET

but Snow really screwed it up by letting some key UFAs walk.

Who did they lose that would’ve made the Isles a contender?

Nielsen? Okposo?

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 05/22/18 at 12:41 PM ET

Steve in San Francisco's avatar

I could be wrong, but I don’t think Tavares stays….

Posted by Down River Dan on 05/22/18 at 10:52 AM ET

Not to mention having to play the next 2-3 years (not sure the exact time frame there) at the craptastic Barclay’s Center.

Posted by Steve in San Francisco on 05/22/18 at 04:33 PM ET