Linus Omark On Mark

Am I the only one who thought the Linus Omark shootout goal was not jaw-dropping, spectacular, fabulous, etc.  Spin move at center ice?  What’s next, a back flip?  Anything is possible when you have the ice to yourself!

added 9:19am, from Gerry Moddejonge of the Edmonton Sun,

“I didn’t think it showed a lot of respect in this game,” said Stamkos, who missed his shootout attempt in Round 2.

“I mean, you don’t see Crosby or Ovechkin doing that and they’re the two best players in the game.

“(Omark’s) a creative player, he’s got good skill. I’m not taking that away from him, but it didn’t really have any implication on his moves, so I don’t know why he did that.”

Filed in: NHL Teams, Edmonton Oilers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: linus+omark

Comments

Moq's avatar

I’m with you, Paul, it wasn’t impessive in the least. Omark’s move had more to do with with figure skating than deceiving the goaltender, but I don’t think it was disrespectful.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 12/11/10 at 12:51 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Tampa Bay’s goaltending is such a bummer to watch.

Linus Omark’s little whatever whatever was cute and all. Who knows, maybe Sid and Ovie would be busting out moves like that if they had the whole summer off to dink around instead of going to the playoffs with their team.

Posted by SK77 on 12/11/10 at 01:22 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

UMMM Steve OV acts like he just won the SC on Every frickin goal !! WTF are you watching?? Remember the stick is on fire routine DURING a Game ??

Grow up Steve !!!

Posted by Evilpens on 12/11/10 at 01:37 PM ET

crybabies about creativity lead sad lives

do you tards really think the spin move was suppose to be some “highly technical move” to do anything for this kids skill set? please. its called entertainment you status quo following turds.

maybe the Caps can choke out of the playoffs… again, maybe Crosby can whine a bit more to the refs cause thats not a “shame to the game” or disrespectful, or maybe Stamkos can go choke out of the playoffs this year - if they even make it - cause their team goaltending blows. also, where has Stamkos been lately? seemed to disappear for the past 10 games for the most part for such a stud. start crying cause you lost to a lottery team and your goaltender sucks.

change your diapers

Posted by DeathMetalNightmare on 12/11/10 at 01:37 PM ET

Can anyone please explain to me why this is controversial, classless or disrespectful? I find it amazing that Omarks shootout made the entire Lightning team go into giant-whiny-baby mode after the game. To summarize:

Ryan Malone: “A … joke.

Mattias Öhlund: “If anyone did that on our team the guys would tell him not to do it anymore.

Dan Ellis: “It’s embarrassing for him. You come into a league, a respectful league like this, and you try a little move like that. It’s not a very classy thing. That’s just the kind of person he is.

Stamkos: “I didn’t think it showed a lot of respect in this game. I mean, you don’t see Crosby or Ovechkin doing that and they’re the two best players in the game.

This reminds me of Carlyles and Vigneaults comments about how opposing teams were disrespectful for having the nerve to ice top PP units when they were ahead in the game, and Richards comments about Subban. What’s wrong with this league? How can that kind of attitude be prevalent? The players give the appearance of having a sense of entitlement, which does not bode well for the future of TB. Is this how they will react to adversity?

Thanks Omark for making something interesting and worth watching. Just remember next time, that you can’t do such things unless you’ve earned the RIGHT to do it by being an established caucasian canadian superstar and playing for the Lightning. Oh, and even if those prerequisites have been fulfilled, you still cannot do such moves on Dan Ellis, although that will likely not be a problem, as he probably won’t be in the NHL much longer.

Posted by Mr. Fnytelhatt on 12/11/10 at 02:02 PM ET

There was a very good reason for Omark to do that spinorama, and that was to get noticed. The kid is not far into his NHL career, wants to stick with the big club, and is a shootout specialist - why not draw attention to that? This is no more disrespectful than a rookie fighter picking a scrap with the other team’s enforcer to prove he belongs in the NHL… and a whole lot more enjoyable to watch. (Incidentally, the spin may not have been special, but the fake-slap-wrister combo was pretty awesome)

Posted by fcjbencard on 12/11/10 at 02:30 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Nothing disrespectful about that goal. The shootout is a skills competition. Many players actually practice different moves for a time like this. His spinorama obviously had an affect, because he seemed to have froze the goaltender there.

You lost. Get over it.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 12/11/10 at 02:47 PM ET

PDXWing's avatar

I don’t understand the outcry, either. It was a ballsy thing to do in his first NHL game and a lot of fun to watch. I tuned into that game after the Wings finished and it was a back and forth, exciting match that ended in a great way.  The place went crazy and his teammates loved it.

There does seem to be a certain contingent of hockey fans that want the game to be played with a certain decorum.  I see where they’re coming from, but don’t agree in this instance. I don’t think this is something that will be copied, and honestly, if I saw someone else do it, I would probably dislike it. But, in this case, it worked. I do hope it’s not the start of a fad, but it was great to watch last night.

Posted by PDXWing on 12/11/10 at 02:49 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

The shootout is disrespectful to the fans. Anything that makes the shootout look like what it is works fine for me.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 12/11/10 at 03:14 PM ET

madhatter's avatar

That was awesome, not so much because of the difficulty factor but because it was a complete Barnum & Bailey move. If it had failed he’d be hearing about it in the dressing room for years. Incredible nerve to try that on his first game up. See the reaction of the fans afterwards? They’re the final judges on what’s worth their money, and they seemed happy.

Lighten up. Try not to become the Dick Beddoes of our generation, if you can.

Posted by madhatter on 12/11/10 at 03:35 PM ET

Primis's avatar

It was a whole lot of nothing.

Posted by Primis on 12/11/10 at 03:51 PM ET

Not particularly impressed with this shootout goal, but I don’t understand why Tampa needs to whine about it. He scored, you lost, get over it.

Posted by StevieSteve on 12/11/10 at 03:54 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

I think he did it more to make people forget that he jumped the gun the first time and the ref called him back to start again.

But yeah, I don’t get the big deal, it’s not like he did it AFTER he scored to show the Lightning up.  Get over it.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 12/11/10 at 04:01 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

The shootout itself is disrespectful of the game.  Anything a player does to impress that fact is fine with me.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 12/11/10 at 04:36 PM ET

I don’t see anything disrespectful about it, and if doing a spin move at center ice is all it takes to get Dan Ellis off his game than why not do it?

Posted by Kstewy16 on 12/11/10 at 04:43 PM ET

Mojo Tooth's avatar

So in summary Paul: you’re not the only one, but you’re in the minority. At least in this particular forum.

Posted by Mojo Tooth on 12/11/10 at 11:05 PM ET