Lindsay Honored

from Chris Young of the Toronto Star,

Hockey fans have forever known him as “Terrible” Ted Lindsay, but perhaps it’s time to retire that particular sobriquet, a long four and a half decades after he did the same thing with his playing career.

With the unveiling of the Ted Lindsay Award at the Hockey Hall of Fame Thursday in front of an audience of family and many of his peers in the game, “Venerable” seems a more fitting prefix. The 84-year-old Lindsay has his own locker space in the present-day Red Wings’ dressing room, his No. 7 jersey hangs from the Joe Louis Arena rafters and now a bronze-on-maple trophy named for him replaces the one in former Prime Minister Lester Pearson’s name since 1970, awarded to the NHL Players’ Association’s most outstanding player.

“It’s beautiful,” said Lindsay, who with his wife Joanne provided input to designer Myros Trutiak’s creation. “I wanted a little character to it, and I think the colour in it, the wing and the wheel on the chest is very important to me.

“It goes to the best, voted on by his peers. So that means there’s no politics involved. That tells you the whole story – whoever wins it is entitled to it.”

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, NHLPA, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: ted+lindsay

Comments

Primis's avatar

Great choice.

Posted by Primis on 04/30/10 at 10:30 AM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

How cool is that!! I met him in Grand Rapids at one of the Griffins games last year. I went out during the second and a couple of us had him all to ourselves, while he told us three or four stories of Sawchuck, etc. I had no idea this change was coming, but I like it.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 04/30/10 at 10:36 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

That is frigging outstanding - Ted’s legacy to me can be summed up by what he once said about playing every shift (paraphrasing) - - he never forgot that the fans in the stands paid his salary.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/30/10 at 11:30 AM ET

Couldn’t have chosen a more courageous man to name a trophy voted on by his peers.

Congrats, Mr. Lindsay.  So glad for you.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 04/30/10 at 03:57 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Lindsay is my favorite player of all time, and one of my personal heroes. He’s an inspiration to me in my daily life and I couldn’t be happier for the guy. This is ULTRA appropriate. The NHLPA should do more to honor this guy’s efforts and this is a really nice gesture.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/01/10 at 12:20 AM ET

Not surprising to see a lot or red wings fans here! I think it is great as well, good choice for an award. It would be neat to see a picture of it in the article though.

I think it is great how Ted has his own locker space in the dressing room!

Posted by Ice Hockey tips from Huntsville on 05/01/10 at 02:32 AM ET