Lidstrom Should Have Retired

from Justin Bourne at The Hockey News,

The professional hockey god that is Nicklas Lidstrom, at age 41, has decided to come back for one more year. He’ll once again cash a nice paycheck and have another run at the Cup with the perennially solid Detroit Red Wings. With his career and his legacy, he’s earned the right to come back if he wants to.

I just wish he wouldn’t.

It’s not that he’s going to enter the sad ‘MJ’ or Jeter or Chelios phase - he plays a smart game and he’s hardly shown much decline at this point. After all, he’s the favorite to win the Norris Trophy in a couple days for the seventh time in his career.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: nick+lidstrom

Comments

Absurd.

Posted by godblender on 06/21/11 at 02:05 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Bourne’s clearly retarded.. clearly doesn’t understand.. idget

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 06/21/11 at 02:06 PM ET

TheFreak's avatar

Justin Bourne should just quit writing. It’s just that at some point, everyone gets slightly worse. Not “bad”…just worse.

Unfortunately, it happened to him sooner.

Posted by TheFreak on 06/21/11 at 02:09 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

It’s not that bad an article (also, I like Justin Bourne, so I’m biased)

The game is getting faster and faster, the men bigger and bigger and he’s only going to go in the opposite direction from here on out. I don’t want to see Taylor Hall roast him wide or Jordin Tootoo plow him into the boards. Lidstrom is hockey royalty.

I don’t want that either.

I just don’t want him to look mortal and I fear that may happen.

I agree with that too.  I’ll even say that there were times this season he DID look mortal (the 10-3 loss to St. Louis, for instance).

I get what Bourne is afraid of and I don’t blame him.  Part of me is afraid of that too.  However, the much bigger part of me is even more afraid of how the Wings will look without him.  I’m happy to have him back.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/21/11 at 02:11 PM ET

snafu's avatar

Blasphemy.

I could see the point if the guy wasn’t nominated yet again for a Norris.  Unbelievable.

I also feel like he’s doing the Wings a favor by not letting them lose their two top defensemen in the same year, especially with a relatively weak UFA class.  Headline grabbing piece, imo.  wink

Posted by snafu from North America on 06/21/11 at 02:12 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

Lidstrom Should Have Retired

That’s entirely too silly! Bourne is simply fishing for hits by kicking the hornets nest.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 06/21/11 at 02:20 PM ET

wingsfanindenver's avatar

Headline grabbing piece, imo.  wink

ding ding ding. It was actually a nice piece about Lidstrom, but homey’s gotta generate page views. It’s too bad he chose to be a ‘tard about it.

Posted by wingsfanindenver on 06/21/11 at 02:20 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Paul,

sorry if this is throwing you under the bus:

The title of Bourne’s article is actually

Justin Bourne: Will Nicklas Lidstrom’s return be one year too many?

Paul often puts his own titles on these to sum up the overall feeling of the article.  Bourne did not write that title.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/21/11 at 02:23 PM ET

Paul's avatar

You didn’t J. J,, but the title reflects what I got out of the column.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/21/11 at 02:26 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/21/11 at 12:23 PM ET

Thanks JJ. I should have read the article before I posted. The article makes more sense than the title.

Paul, not that I’m an expert or one to criticize, but I think you have the words of the title correct, just not in the right order. After reading the article (perception is reality) I get “Should Lidstrom Have Retired?” out of it.

Maybe, I’m splitting hairs. Either way, I’ll stop, this is getting entirely too silly.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 06/21/11 at 02:36 PM ET

snafu's avatar

Yeah, gotta agree with the other guys, Paul.  I know you’re paraphrasing, but when I saw the title, I assumed that is exactly what the author wrote (a definitive stance vs a speculative one).

We should all form our own opinions thereafter about what he really meant.

Posted by snafu from North America on 06/21/11 at 02:39 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

I am happy he is coming back, but I expected him to retire rather than playing a year too long.
It is very sad to watch a great player hang on too long.  I will go into this season relying in his judgement.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 06/21/11 at 02:50 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

I will go into this season relying in his judgement.
Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 06/21/11 at 12:50 PM ET

Exactly what I was going to say. If Nick says he’s got another year in him we’ll all take it.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 06/21/11 at 03:05 PM ET

perfection's avatar

I’m with J.J. The article is actually an homage to Lidstrom’s perfection. I actually love the “I don’t want him to look mortal” line. That’s some serious respect. How many hockey players are held to that standard? People need to stop being sooo incredibly reactionary on here. There are such a thing as nuances. The whole world isn’t simply pro-red wing or anti-red wing. Read the damn article before you use words like ‘absurd’ and ‘retarded’ because it just comes off like the pot calling the kettle black when you don’t.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 06/21/11 at 03:12 PM ET

The problem is Bourne doesn’t really speak for TPH so I’m not giving him any kind of retort.

The decision has been made.  Now let’s get what Tick Tock needs.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 06/21/11 at 03:13 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Despite the misleading +/-, I think the eyeball test showed that Lidstrom actually played at a much higher level last season than the season prior. I’m not worried about him. He’s always kept these decisions on his terms, and he’s so damn good, you have to trust he’ll continue to be that way.

Lidstrom today isn’t Lidstrom five or six years ago, but he’s still a better all-around D than any other player in the league right now, and that includes Shea Weber, if for nothing more than his inability to keep his head on straight and keep his team at even strength (call it, Pronger Syndrome).

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 06/21/11 at 03:17 PM ET

Don’t know why anybody’s jumping down Bourne’s throat on this. All the article really says is that eventually father time catches up, a player can no longer keep pace, ends up tarnishing his legacy and that he doesn’t want to see it happen to Lidstrom. I don’t know how anyone could dispute any of that.

Posted by steviesteve on 06/21/11 at 03:39 PM ET

This is ridiculous.  I know stats aren’t everything but you can’t deny that the guy was 2nd in scoring amongst defenseman last year with 62 points and was his old durable self playing 82 games…all at age 40.  Sure he was a -2…not like it was -22.  Then add another year of the solid leadership he brings to the team that will for sure be hard to replace when he’s gone.  It would be one thing if the game passed him by and looks out of place but that’s the farthest thing from reality right now.

Posted by Geno71 on 06/21/11 at 03:41 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

Looks like Paul wants to liven things up around here.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 06/21/11 at 03:47 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

I enjoy Justin Bourne’s work quite a bit. It’s a unique perspective he offers and typically touches on things not commented on in other articles. And I fully understand the sentiment in this article, but I’ve gotta agree with HTT. If Lids says he can play at an elite level for another season, he can. The man is smart enough to realistically determine his own ability, and humble enough not to delude himself into believing he can compete when he cant for the sake of glory days.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 06/21/11 at 03:50 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

BTW, wasn’t Lidstrom a negative this past season for the first time in his career. Although I’m sure JJ had him around +80.  JK buddy. How was you second father’s day?

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 06/21/11 at 03:53 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Looks like Paul wants to liven things up around here.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 06/21/11 at 01:47 PM ET

Yep, because that is what I do.

Again, I read the story as he should have retired and nothing against Bourne.

I have always felt the truly greats should decided on their own when they want to retire and that is what Nick is doing.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/21/11 at 04:20 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 06/21/11 at 01:53 PM ET

+47 in adjusted plus/minus actually.  Best defenseman on his team.  I don’t know what his previous season’s adjusted numbers would have been though, so I can’t use that as a basis to compare Lidstrom to himself regarding decline.  I can tell you that it appears he has lost at least half a step from previous years though.

Father’s day was fun.  Thank you.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/21/11 at 04:22 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

Totally agree Paul,I was just playin’.
——————————————————————————————————————————————

5 on 5 asisde, his reads on the PP are probably the best ever for any player whoever played the point on the PP in the NHL history. His hockey sense off the charts.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 06/21/11 at 04:36 PM ET

Steve Strowbridge's avatar

I love and respect Lidstrom but as long as everyone is marking out for their favorite team and player, I have two words for you. Bobby Orr. That is all.

Posted by Steve Strowbridge from St. John's, NL, CA on 06/21/11 at 04:57 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I have two words for you. Bobby Orr. That is all.

I have two words for you: Career Longevity. That is all.

I kid of course, wish I was old enough to actually have watched Bobby Orr play.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 06/21/11 at 05:08 PM ET

Steve Strowbridge's avatar

My comment was mostly in jest also. It’s totally subjective. I liked Lemieux more than Gretzky and a lot of people think I’m crazy for that.

I’m not trying to be a troll. I couldn’t resist commenting when I saw that the person who made the comment was from New England.

Posted by Steve Strowbridge from St. John's, NL, CA on 06/21/11 at 05:23 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Who said anything about trolling? Anyone is welcome, even the Pittsburgh fan boys.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 06/21/11 at 06:03 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

@Steve Strowbridge

This ^^^^-I was just referrig to d-men who manned the point on the Power Play.

I think Lidstrom is just as good as Orr if not better on that particular aspect of the game. The thing about Orr was that his skating was so much better than his comtemporaries that he could negate a bad read by just getting back in the play more so than any other d-man this side of Paul Coffey. So he made up for the majority of his miscues. Now having said all that we are talking about a relative small amout in terms of bad reads and miscues.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 06/21/11 at 06:37 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

I saw that the person who made the comment was from New England.

Born and bread. I watched enough of TV38 & NESN to actually grow to hate the Bruins.
The weird thing is not having to listen to Edwards and watch on NESN for the final two rounds I found myself routing for the B-s (see even calling them the B’s-it’s like almost total fandom). It was hard not to with the Thomas story line. The way Chara has changed from an awkward rookie with the Isles to a Norris Trophy winning leader. Not to mention the way some of the Canucks played- they made it very hard to route for them.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 06/21/11 at 06:44 PM ET

Steve Strowbridge's avatar

...his reads on the PP are probably the best ever for any player whoever played the point on the PP in the NHL history.

I was just referrig to d-men who manned the point on the Power Play.

I wasn’t confused by the wording of your statement. I was just throwing it out there that Bobby Orr also played the point on the power play.

Best is an opinion. You shared yours, then I shared mine.

Posted by Steve Strowbridge from St. John's, NL, CA on 06/21/11 at 06:55 PM ET