Lidstrom And His Bad Night

from Michael Rosenbeg of the Detroit Free Press,

In June 2002, after the Red Wings won the Stanley Cup in Scotty Bowman’s final game as coach, Bowman delivered the ultimate compliment to Nicklas Lidstrom.

Lidstrom, Bowman said, “is just about the perfect player on the ice.”

Years from now, that is how hockey people will talk about Lidstrom. He is Joe DiMaggio on skates, on the far end of the spectrum of both skill and intelligence. It’s not just that he is great. It is that he has been just about perfect—in the right place at the right time for almost two decades….

And yet ... well, he had a bad game Sunday. There is no getting around it. Lidstrom was on the ice for three Coyotes goals, and since Lidstrom himself said the Wings hung goalie Jimmy Howard “out to dry” at times, it is fair to say he did some of the hanging.

read on

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: nick+lidstrom

Comments

w2j2's avatar

“He’s maybe not the same player he was 10 years ago,” Holmstrom said, “but he’s still our best player every night.”

Words of wisdom.

Posted by w2j2 on 04/20/10 at 09:11 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Rosenberg is a tool.  He doesn’t cover the Wings all year, until playoff time - - then chimes in with these idiotic articles.

Lidstrom is getting older - - WOW, that is news.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/20/10 at 09:32 AM ET

LovelyG,RedWings,MeterReader's avatar

Lidstrom is getting older - - WOW, that is news.

LOL, news to me lmao

Posted by LovelyG,RedWings,MeterReader from Objectively Looking through a Red Glass Onion on 04/20/10 at 09:34 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

I’ll take a 40 year old Lids over any other D man in the league.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/20/10 at 09:50 AM ET

I’ll take a 40 year old Lids over any other D man in the league.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 on 04/20/10 at 08:50 AM ET

Really?

there are lots of great young(er) defenseman in the league…i don’t know if I’d go as far to say I’d take Lidstrom over any of them.

Posted by Greg on 04/20/10 at 10:06 AM ET

Primis's avatar

See, even the Wings themselves are acknowledging that the defense is hanging Jimmy out.

Posted by Primis on 04/20/10 at 10:22 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Who do you take over Lidstrom, Greg?

Maybe Duncan Keith or Drew Doughty, but those are the only two I could think of (and for leadership, poise, and his shut-down abilities, I’m still taking Lidstrom).  Mike Green is a product of the Capitals system.  Lidstrom would score as many points with them and have an even better plus/minus rating.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/20/10 at 10:28 AM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

We are going to need an angry, angry Lidstrom. Totally motivated and consumed with the leader’s role, maddeningly determined to carry the team by himself if necessary. Stevie will sit down with Nickle and tell him, “We’ve been here before, we know what to do…” . The Red Wings will win this series.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 04/20/10 at 10:47 AM ET

w2j2's avatar

Where will the Wings be when Nick hangs them up?
That is a frightening prospect to everyone, from Holland on down to us.

Posted by w2j2 on 04/20/10 at 10:57 AM ET

Andy from FightNight's avatar

I concur. I’d take Lidström over any other defenseman any time.

And, if we allow ourselves to forget that he is European, can you honestly name any defenseman other than Bobby Orr and maybe, MAYBE Doug Harvey who would be above him on the list of best defensemen ever?

Posted by Andy from FightNight on 04/20/10 at 10:59 AM ET

Of course Lidstrom is slowing down a little bit, but the fact that he’s played more of a finesse game grounded in positioning and smart decision making rather than a rugged style that would wear his body down should bode well for him if he wants to play into his 40s. The thing Rosenberg ignores (of course) is that, of that minus-3, one goal was started by a horrific play by Kronwall and another was on a play Jimmy Howard (or any NHL goalie for that matter) just absolutely has to have. I don’t think a minus-3 in this game is any kind of a barometer of his play. Sample size, my friends.

The guy they gotta get going is Datsyuk. Need him to play an MVP-caliber game tonight.

Posted by EH on 04/20/10 at 11:40 AM ET

I am not going to be the one to tell Lidstrom he’s too old. That job is taken.

“I tell him,” said fellow Swede Tomas Holmstrom…

The Wings should pay Homer an extra $50k next year just for being such a knucklehead.

I’d put that burden on Mule. Pavel has played hard and is generally doing everything he should be doing. Mule, on the other hand, looks a step or two slow and he’s not battling for pucks like he did last year. I’m sure the injury is a factor, but it’s time for him to play through whatever problem he has and start dominating whoever he’s matched up with.

If Mule steps it up, and the rest of the Wings stop making sloppy passes, they have a chance. Otherwise, they’ll all be playing golf next week.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids on 04/20/10 at 11:56 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

I’m wondering if Franzen is playing hurt. He’s definitely off a bit.  Zetterberg and Datsyuk are on point with what they should be doing. The defensive corps needs a kick in the ass. Maybe a 4-2 loss to an inferior team did that. We’ll see tonight.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/20/10 at 12:03 PM ET

JJ,
I’m not saying he’s done, just that if I picked now, I don’t think I’d have him in my top 5.

Weber, Seabrook, Doughty, maybe Duncan Keith, and Lidstrom.  So maybe top 4…

I see your point though…

Posted by Greg on 04/20/10 at 12:30 PM ET

The Red Wings have played a lot of hockey over the last several years. That plus the fact that they are a veteran team could explain the problems this season.  They may bounce back but if they don’t chalk it up to wear and tear.  Lidstrom is still the Dean of NHL defensemen.

Posted by 13 user names from New York on 04/20/10 at 01:42 PM ET

Osrt's avatar

Well, I was ready to hire hitmen but Rosenberg’s article is actually pretty good. King Lidas definitely had a bad game but that’s a rare occurrence.

It will be a painful, era ending day, when Lidstrom retires. Luckily, I think his massive hockey mind will stay with the team for life.

Posted by Osrt on 04/20/10 at 01:44 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

This article sucks because it is world-of-duh obvious.

The entire team played poor. Nobody was skating, except for Cleary. Nick Lidstrom played a lazy game, as did Rafalski, Kronwall, Stuart, Lilja, Ericsson, Franzen, etc. etc. etc. You get the point.

Everyone needs to play with better effort. But I’m definitely looking at Franzen and Homer up front. Not just to give more effort, but to actually produce. They have been invisible. Pav has been essentially playing on a line by himself. Those two need to show up in a big way.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 04/20/10 at 02:18 PM ET