“Let’s Take A Deep Breath Here”

Mike Babcock...

Filed in: NHL Teams, Toronto Maple Leafs, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mike+babcock

Comments

Good for Babs

Posted by George0211 on 10/25/16 at 11:37 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Kinda’ hard to feel sorry for Babcock, I guess.

He *chose* to be in that position, knowing that this sort of insanity would be what he had to deal with on a daily basis.  And his status as Messiah of the Leafs is only going to ratchet up this kind of stuff and the pressure further.

I don’t feel sorry for anyone who chooses Toronto.

Kessel didn’t choose Toronto, so I guess I did feel bad for him.

Posted by Primis on 10/25/16 at 11:49 AM ET

Paul's avatar

My take, I want to know who the reporter was who asked the question. Did he expect Babs to agree with Cherry?

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/25/16 at 11:51 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Watch the exchange at Sportsnet.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/25/16 at 12:05 PM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

I wasn’t aware that triple alpha males were allowed to agree with anyone, less their family jewels start to shrivel.

Posted by duhduhduh on 10/25/16 at 12:06 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Hockey Central says Ken Campbell of THN asked the question.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/25/16 at 12:11 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Reporter is an idiot, but that’s why Babs gets the big bucks.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 10/25/16 at 12:11 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

LOL!
HAHA!
That’s what Babs gets for moving to Toronto!
LOL

Posted by w2j2 on 10/25/16 at 01:52 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Gotta love Babcock’s candor.

Posted by RedMenace from The Bud Light Pit of Misery on 10/25/16 at 03:58 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Ken Campbell responding to a few… including this, sarcastically I presume.

@kristen_shilton Well, sorry I asked him a question he was not interested in answering. I’ll try to never, ever do it again.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/25/16 at 07:09 PM ET

Maybe Ken Campbell was looking for some good theater?

I’m not sure why anyone would expect Babs to take a journey with them down memory lane, analyzing the Leafs’ historical struggles in goal, and how his current netminder fits into that.

It is mildly entertaining though.

One gets the sense that, as much progress as the Leafs have made, in terms of young talent in a pretty short time, the Toronto media is going to have to fix on something negative for the sake of drama.

And the second they acquired Andersen, it was easy to think: well, solid goalie thus far, but young team and weak defense - Anaheim’s not Toronto. It’s such a microscope that any struggles, and the media pressure gets so intense their negative narrative almost becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Maybe Eddie the Eagle needed to be a little crazy to deal with that environment.

Posted by Lefty30 on 10/26/16 at 06:47 PM ET