Lemaire Retires

via Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice,

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire announced his retirement this morning.

added 12:31pm, This was added to the same blog post from Tom,

Lemaire tried to tell the team during a meeting this morning at Prudential Cennter, but was too emotional to get the words out, so team president and general manager Lou Lamoriello did it for him..

Filed in: NHL Teams, New Jersey Devils, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: jacques+lemaire

Comments

Posted by Evilpens on 04/26/10 at 12:55 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

A one season return? hmmm

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 04/26/10 at 01:00 PM ET

I’ll say it Now, As a Pens Fan I was OVERJOYED that Uncle Lou hired Lemaire as HC instead of what I feared Dave Tippett/quote]

Yea, good thing it was Lemaire… could you imagine if it was Tippett, the pens might have gone 0 for 6 against the devils this year…. uhh, wait… nevermind.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/26/10 at 01:17 PM ET

I knew something was amiss.  The team looked like it retired the second half of the season.  It’s tough pushing players all the time and maybe his message was falling on deaf ears.  He looked tired in last few interviews.

Posted by 13 user names from New York on 04/26/10 at 01:18 PM ET

It was somewhat of a shocker that Lemaire came in as it was.He may have been a stop gap all along as Lou figured out how to replace Brent Sutter in the interim. If things went well, Jacques may have stayed on, but a first round loss may have made it easier to step away.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 04/26/10 at 01:25 PM ET

Osrt's avatar

Thanks for everything Jacques! You were a master of your craft.

Posted by Osrt on 04/26/10 at 02:06 PM ET