Leafs In Need Of A Goalie Coach

from Michael Traikos of the National Post,

The guru is gone.

Goaltending consultant Francois Allaire has decided not to return to the Toronto Maple Leafs, citing a conflict with the coaching staff.

“To be honest, I don’t think the Leafs need a goalie coach,” Allaire, whose contract expired at the end of the season, said in a phone interview on Monday. “I think they have enough of them. They have two or three guys who were making decisions with the goalies. In the NHL, that’s not the way it works.

“If that’s the way they want to operate, then I’m not there.”

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Toronto Maple Leafs, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: francois+allaire

Comments

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

that teams got so much drama it’s ridiculous.  Got to love a staff where everyone is an expert on everything.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 09/17/12 at 11:14 AM ET

I know when I need someone to do something at work, the key is to get more people to tell them to do their work, report more often on how the work is going and getting more input from more people to tell them how they should be getting the job done better.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 09/17/12 at 02:27 PM ET

mmuskrat's avatar

I’m going to go ahead and disagree with the atmosphere here.  I’ve never been a fan of Allaire’s chicken-wing, deep in the net system - especially in Reimer’s case.  I think this is great news, and honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if this has more to do with Allaire’s stubbornness and refusal to try a new strategy, than it is everyone else’s fault for telling him how to do his job.

But, then again, maybe I’m just another person telling him how to do his job.

Posted by mmuskrat on 09/17/12 at 04:35 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Can you really put it on him though if 3 other people are telling the goalie to do different things?  Bobby Lou has seemed to do alright with his deep in net style.  I don’t personally agree with it but just look at Mike Smith or Steve Mason to understand how important of a job a goalie coach has.  Mike Babcock doesn’t screw around with Bedards approach, because it’s not his job.  If the coaches felt they needed to follow up on Allaire’s instruction with some different instruction of their own, then they should have released him and done it.  Not just try to rewrite over his work and then say it’s his fault.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 09/17/12 at 05:37 PM ET

mmuskrat's avatar

Good point.  It seems obvious at least that they weren’t happy with him a long time ago, and should have made the change instead of letting him take the blame for so long.

Posted by mmuskrat on 09/17/12 at 06:57 PM ET

I have no problem getting rid of Allaire either, just too many chefs spoling the soup. It is like parents on the sidelines at children’s soccer yelling at the kids to do things completely opposite of what the coach has asked them to do. The results are not pretty.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 09/18/12 at 07:44 AM ET