Late Evening Line

“We just got beat 7-1 (Saturday), so to start like that (Tuesday), that preparation isn’t good enough.  You knew Columbus was going to play hard, you knew they were going to find a way to win a game, so our urgency had to match theirs. That wasn’t the case at all.

“It was a disappointing effort. Obviously, the preparation (from) our coaching staff, we didn’t do a good enough job. The players didn’t do a good enough job.

“No excuse for what happened tonight.”

-Mike Babcock, head coach of the Detroit Red Wings.  More from Babcock and some of the players after the Wings second loss in a row.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mike+babcock

Comments

mrfluffy's avatar

Is it time to pull a page from Scotty’s playbook and bench some ‘unbenchables’?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 10/26/11 at 02:56 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Z would be my first.. he talked about not having confidence.. I thought the Miller line did.. The Helm line def did.. The Franzen line did.  I thought the top line was flat, as usual this year and I thought ALL of the D looked bad, ALL.  Ericsson actually looked the best tonight, even with a couple turnovers..  Lids looked human.. especially against the kid Johansson.  White looked off,  on the first goal Kronners literally skates around himself in circles twice before getting scored on missed coverage.  Kindl looked half a step behind all night.. passing wasn’t consistant and the first passes were sucking.. not as good with that first pass as they thought they were with all that pressure…

I notice this everytime the Wings hit a game like this anymore where the other team comes at them very aggressively on the forcheck and are clogging up the neutral zone and I think it has a lot to do with the predominately Euro style of our top lines.  Lot of passing trying to open up time and space for that perfect shot.  So they keep trying to pass their way through the neutral zone or skate around 5 players at the blueline and dump it to the point, which you do EVERYTIME and every team expects you to and he’s got nowhere to go, because he’s at the point.  But they do it, like Wiley Coyote trying to catch the Road Runner, same shit over and over with the same results.

They need to dump and chase that shit and battle in the corners for it back, put the puck on net and crash, in this type of game.  You’re going to have to straight outwork the other guy, skill wont matter if you’re not gassing it.  Z didn’t shut down Crosby with skill..  he did it with hard work and tenacity.  They don’t have tenacity anymore.. except for Homer who has enough for the whole damn team I love that guy.  Need to do something about Z and Pav cause something is not working… which is crazy for the Euro Twins, but seems to be the truth.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 10/26/11 at 04:32 AM ET

Didn’t I hear this song a lot last year?

Posted by loojay on 10/26/11 at 10:06 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Bag skate, some healthy scratches, and maybe even a waiver or two.  That really is what’s needed here…

Oh and Babcock needs to take some accountability as well for curiously sticking with some players who haven’t earned it, and not rewarding some that have.  Whatever with the “preperation” line Babs, just admit “

I did some really dumb things in that game too

“.

Hopefully this is just a blip that “corrects” the fast 5-0 start we didn’t understand anyways despite the awful schedule, but I personally don’t like the things (and players) that have been exposed here.  Changes do need to be made.

Posted by Primis on 10/26/11 at 10:41 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Didn’t I hear this song a lot last year?

Entirely too often.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 10/26/11 at 11:08 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Babcock summed up the night by saying, “They competed harder than us, to a man.”

Didn’t I hear this song a lot last year?

Entirely too often.

If you are my age, or older, you will remember the vinyl records.  IF you happened to have a well-worn disc, on occasion they would “skip”, and as a result the same section of music would play over and over and over again.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 10/26/11 at 12:06 PM ET

awould's avatar

Last night’s game was bad and has me a bit worried. I hope it’s just a rough transition wiht all the new coaches and will work itself out soon….

Posted by awould on 10/26/11 at 01:55 PM ET

awould's avatar

I should amend that to say last night’s game after the 7-1 shellacking has me worried.

Posted by awould on 10/26/11 at 01:55 PM ET