Late Afternoon Line

The Blackhawks will surely enjoy a summer full of celebration, but there are also some well-known financial pressure points. The team has a multitude of stars, several of them coming off entry-level contracts, and is reported to have some $57 million committed to just 14 players for next season. There are contracts the team likely would love to unload—Brian Campbell and Cristobal Huet come immediately to mind—but it will be difficult. The most likely not to be renewed is Marian Hossa, a quality player who has been living off a succession of one-year deals in an attempt to find a spot on a Cup-champion (mission accomplished). Look for the Hawks to shop his rights as soon as the parade is complete.

-Jim Kelley at Sports Illustrated.  More hockey talk from Jim…

thanks to a KK reader for the pointer on this relaxing day

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: marian+hossa

Comments

ColdWar's avatar

ummmm .... ? I ... don’t ... think Hossa signed a 1 yr. deal ....

Posted by ColdWar on 06/10/10 at 08:04 PM ET

Yeah, uh, isn’t Hossa a Blackhawk for another…. 11 or so years?

Posted by Karina on 06/10/10 at 08:06 PM ET

Paul's avatar

When I was alerted about the story, I checked out by skimming it and thought Jim was proposing Hossa may be up for trade.

Now I am not sure since he states “his rights” which would make it look that he is a soon to be UFA, which he is not.

I am sure Jim will correct this.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/10/10 at 08:12 PM ET

It was incredibly poorly worded, but I was actually thinking about this today.

They’re likely going to have a tough time unloading Campbell and Huet, but Hossa would almost be an ideal candidate (no idea if he has any kind of no-trade or no-movement clause) to unload.

Who wouldn’t want Marian Hossa for the rest of his career for only $5.25M?

He had his shoulder taken care of, he’s got a lot of years left in the tank and if he does retire early, his contract’s off the books.

And (as much as I don’t want it to happen) Chicago could get a good return in young players or draft picks.

Posted by Garth on 06/10/10 at 08:52 PM ET

Ajax19's avatar

I am sure Jim will correct this too, but it always baffles me how professional sports writers could 1) not know this kind of basic fact about a player and 2) publish a column stating this fact without checking.  This isn’t some minute fact.

Posted by Ajax19 on 06/10/10 at 09:14 PM ET

I would think that at such a low annual cap hit, the Hossa camp would have put in a no-movement clause?  I am pretty sure moving Hossa would be a bad thing.  It is no coincidence that he has made it to three straight cup finals.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 06/11/10 at 11:01 AM ET