Lamoriello Embarrassed By The Current Status Of The NHL

from Rich Chere of theStar-Ledger,

“It’s coming down to the wire right now,” Lamoriello said. “We’ve just got to trust the people that are involved. I’m embarrassed we are where we’re at. That’s the best expression I can use.”

He didn’t want to think it would take this long.

“I really didn’t know. Like everybody, I hoped not,” Lamoriello said, “but we are where we are right now and we’re getting to the 11th hour. I’m just hopeful everything can work out.”

In past lockouts, Lamoriello has taken an active role in negotiations, but that hasn’t been the case this time.

“I’m not involved the way I was in the past. I can’t answer why,” he said.

Filed in: NHL Teams, New Jersey Devils, NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: lou+lamoriello

Comments

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

We’re embarrassed for you Lou.  That’s the downside of going Lock-Out everytime to get your way, one of these times you’re gonna make someone kamakaze in that game of chicken

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 12/26/12 at 02:56 PM ET

Chris from NOHS's avatar

In Lou’s defense, I don’t think he has much to do with this.

Posted by Chris from NOHS from Columbus, OH/Grand Rapids, MI on 12/26/12 at 03:37 PM ET

I assume Lamoriello hasn’t been asked to be involved for the same reason Leipold got kicked from the table.

Lamoriello/Leipold: okay so front-loaded retirement deals are bad and nobody should do them

Players: Uhhhh….

Posted by larry on 12/26/12 at 04:07 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’m guessing Lamoriello’s non-involvement has more to do with the Kovalchuk rule and Lou’s relationship with Gary Bettman souring over that saga.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 12/26/12 at 04:10 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Don Lou is embarrassed with the NHL?? this is the ultimate Nazi in the NHL he had security throw the Pens Beat reporters out of their old arena when the Debbies were playing the Pens in the Playoffs years ago, My thought was WTF were the Beat reporters going to decipher & tell the Pens Coaches & FO ? LOL

Posted by Evilpens on 12/26/12 at 04:28 PM ET

Completely agree.

If there’s one thing we know about Bettman, it’s that the guy can hold a grudge.  A GM that gets a freaking sanction from the NHL for trying to subvert the CBA that Bettman lovingly (and moronically) crafted is not getting a seat at the big boys table.

It’s pretty blithely disingenuous of Lou to try and pretend he doesn’t know that, though.  I know that pretty much 90% of what a GM says has to be disregarded… but still.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 12/26/12 at 05:58 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

Where did he pretend he didn’t know that?

He said:

“I’m not involved the way I was in the past. I can’t answer why,” he said.

I read that as he’s saying he literally can’t answer why because if he does he’ll get a 6 figure plus fine, not that he doesn’t know.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 12/26/12 at 06:10 PM ET

Good point.  I think that’s one of those quotes you’d have to hear live, because when I read it, it sounded like he was trying to pretend he was mystified how he could have been so excluded from negotiations.

As though they went wonderfully with him involved the last time.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 12/26/12 at 06:43 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I personally don’t care if, and or why he’s involved or not.  They aren’t even negotiating anymore and we’re about to be out of options soon for getting ANY hockey this year.  Gonna be royally pissed if we lose a whole season, AGAIN.  PISSED

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 12/26/12 at 08:16 PM ET

I cannot tell you how impressed I have been with the WHL this year.  After Michigan took the gaspipe (which felt like it happened 5 or 6 games into the season) I started going out of my way to watch some major junior hckey, specifically the WHL.  I see a lot of OHL games already (local TV and quite a few live) and the QMJHL is a joke league defensively, so I figured I’d start catching some WHL games where I could.

Holy cow.  So, so impressed with the level of play in those games.

7 or 8 years ago I used to staunchly defend the NCAA as being a fairly comparable level of hockey, by and large, to major junior.  Not any more.  The WHL is playing really, really good hockey.  The one area they don;t seem to compete as well is in goal, which honestly makes the games a little more enjoyable rather than less.  If the goalies are too good teams have to do crazy stuff to score.  When they are leaky teams get jazzed about putting shots on net and the play moves pretty quickly.

TL:DR… watch the WHL.  Fun!

Posted by HockeyinHD on 12/26/12 at 08:52 PM ET