Kris Letang With A Health Update

from Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review,

Penguins defenseman Kris Letang, still unsure if he will play hockey again this season, shed light on the details of his stroke.

It was a scary time.

On the morning of Jan. 29, Letang's wife woke up to find him laying on the floor of the couple's bedroom. He was alert but knew something was wrong.

“I was not able to function,” he said.

Letang's mother-in-law is a nurse and was at their home at the time of his stroke, which stopped him from calling 911. He felt better enough later in the day to fly with the Penguins to Los Angeles.

But after a series of tests, it was determined that Letang had a stroke. He said he is still having “good days and bad days” and is still dealing with fatigue.

continued

added 1:24pm, Watch below as Letand discusses his health and playing hockey again.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: kris+letang

Comments

My takeaway from this is that I absolutely do not want Kris Letang’s mother-in-law as my nurse.

Posted by Garth on 02/27/14 at 02:26 PM ET

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA - nice, Garth.

That’s spot on. If I were her, I’d do everything I could to prevent the stories from containing information about her being a nurse. It’s embarrassing.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 02/27/14 at 02:28 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Unfreaking believable that He went with the team on a plane somewhere and not straight to the Hospital…...

He is lucky to be ALIVE…..

WOW, two things my father taught me, never scrimp on Doctors or Lawyers, never!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 02/27/14 at 02:32 PM ET

It’s embarrassing.

no doubt.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 02/27/14 at 02:33 PM ET

Letang’s mother-in-law is a nurse and was at their home at the time of his stroke, which stopped him from calling 911.

Dear Gord…

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 02/27/14 at 02:36 PM ET

I’m pretty sure if I had a stroke when I was married and my mother-in-law was at my home at the time she would likely have been the cause.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 02/27/14 at 03:23 PM ET

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 02/27/14 at 02:23 PM ET

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 02/27/14 at 03:57 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Damn straight Garth. With a mother in law like that, who needs enemies?  Thank goodness he has no permanent disabilities that could have resulted from no interventions within a short timeframe.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 02/27/14 at 05:47 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Thank goodness he has no permanent disabilities

My experience with stroke is that even if there are no obvious permanent disabilities that result initially, you likely have some kind of permanent disability either way - an untreated stroke equals permanent brain damage.  Luckily it is possible for a lot of people to rewire around the dead areas of their brain.

My wife had a stroke 7 years ago and we thought we got away with very little problems barring a few migraines here and there and getting tired more easily, until she started twisting or breaking her left ankle almost once a year - turns out the part of her brain that reported her ankle position to her balance centers was the part that got hit; we just couldn’t tell until later.

My point is it is quite possible Letang could have some serious issues for the rest of his life, even if there isn’t anything immediately disabled.  Just glad he got a better deal than many in that terrible lottery.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 02/27/14 at 06:08 PM ET