KK Poll- Let’s Talk Rick Rypien Suspension

I’ve been doing some searching on the web this morning and have read Rypien should be suspended anywhere from 5 to 20+ games.

What do you think he will get?

Filed in: NHL Teams, Vancouver Canucks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: rick+rypien

Comments

TheFreak's avatar

What instances of this kind of action in the recent past (under Colin Campbell) can be used as a reference? If none, then just spin the wheel of suspension.

Posted by TheFreak on 10/20/10 at 12:45 PM ET

Moq's avatar

The closest thing is probably Sean Avery’s suspension in terms of discrediting the game of hockey, or whatever you want to call the offense. In the end punishment settled at six games.

Trying to engage fans in fisticuffs is a lot worse in my opinion, so I’m going with 10-15 games. Actually, 16+ games wouldn’t be excessive.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 10/20/10 at 12:54 PM ET

Ian!'s avatar

You’ve asked both “what is a fair suspension” and “what will he get.”  Remember, we’re talking about the NHL; you need two different polls.

Posted by Ian! from Baltimore, MD on 10/20/10 at 01:16 PM ET

I think his sucker punch on Staubitz should be punished too, and I feel like I remember some guys getting suspended in the last couple seasons for cheap shots like that with the ref holding the players back. When it happened I felt like it would be a twenty game deal.

I also remember there being a hard line stance by the NHL with fan ‘interaction,’ like what happened here. I think anything less than ten games would be stupid. He sucker punched, ripped himself away from the refs, screamed at the ref as he was talking to the coach, and attacked a fan.

If the NHL doesn’t get it right (that thought shouldn’t be necessary), I think the Cancuks will.

Posted by NathanBC on 10/20/10 at 01:16 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

no one lost a shoe, so give him a game and a public verbal spanking. done and done.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 10/20/10 at 01:17 PM ET

Osrt's avatar

Go ahead and throw the book at him, but it won’t matter. Rypien is a no name player that will be forgotten in a few weeks, or remembered as “that one idiot who attacked fans.”

Suspend for 16+ games so that all the talking heads can say that the league did the right thing. Then we can get back to the proper business of excusing star players for throwing flying elbows or hitting from behind. Can’t have players in NHL sponsored commercials suspended can we?

Also, I can tell you now what Don Cherry will say this Saturday night. He will say Rypien was acting like an idiot, that the league “did good” to suspend him for X games. Then, he’ll ask his producer to rewind the tape and show the linesman jumping in the fight Rypien and Staubitz wanted to have again. Cherry will argue that had the linesman not jumped in and let them fight, they would have gotten it out of their system, honor “the code,” and all would have ended well, or normally.

Business as usual, with a slight spike in idiocy.

p.s. Bravo to the fan’s friend, the guy in the red sweater, who jumped right in to defend his buddy. Month’s worth of free beer. And he would have kicked Rypien’s ass too. Friendship trumps roid rage.

Posted by Osrt on 10/20/10 at 01:20 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Pierre LeBrun talks about it over on ESPN – Commish will come down on Rick Rypien

The reference to Tortorella getting a 1-game suspension in the playoffs, and the fact that Rypien is a total scrub, is making me think we’re seeing a 10+ game suspension.

And I’m fine with that.

Posted by SK77 on 10/20/10 at 01:20 PM ET

Paul's avatar

You’ve asked both “what is a fair suspension” and “what will he get.” Remember, we’re talking about the NHL; you need two different polls.

Posted by Ian! from Somerville, MA on 10/20/10 at 11:16 AM ET

You are right about that and thought about the wording before I posted it.

What he will get could be addressed in the comments and fair is done through the voting.

Hopefully, both will be the same when the suspension does come out.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/20/10 at 01:20 PM ET

UMFan's avatar

You can’t go into the stands….for any reason…ever. Should have learned this when the malice at the palace happened. I think a couple of months off is warented here.

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 10/20/10 at 01:26 PM ET

Hey Paul, I personally love polls on hockey and would like to see them used more often here, and two or three when needed, like today - What should he get? and What do you think he will get?

Posted by NathanBC on 10/20/10 at 01:54 PM ET

Paul's avatar

A Kypreos tweet,

Rick Rypien to decide if he’ll waive his rights to an NHL in-person hearing. Meaning a suspension of 5 or more games.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/20/10 at 02:03 PM ET

JMK's avatar

Rypien?  4-6.  Matt Cooke?  Rest of the season.

Posted by JMK on 10/20/10 at 02:30 PM ET

Twig's avatar

what was his intent?

kidding. 4-6 games plus the #fantorypien theme on twitter is punishment enough.

Posted by Twig from Houston, TX on 10/20/10 at 02:42 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Anyway you look at it, he’s at fault.  If they were on the street, just two dudes and one is clapping like a retard, he cant’ just decide to attack the guy.

Now put it in context.  He’s a professional, at work, and instigates and assaults a fan in attendance.  Without Fans, they don’t get paid.  Easy as that.  No CBA needed to work that shit out.  Without fans hockey doesn’t matter to the people with money and their payday goes back to mother russia.

The way I see it, NHL has NO CHOICE but to throw the book at him (as I personally feel he deserves for being ate up in the worst way) They have to be able to ENSURE fan safety.  It’s one thing when fans start tossin’ shit at you inthe penalty box or whatever but to instigate and attack a fan, who was clapping for *#$%@& sake.  There arena management companies, owners of teams wont have it look like they can’t provide assurances you wont be assaulted paying for some of the highest dollar seats in the arena.

Side Note * I wish he wouldn’t started shit with a real hardcore fan.  Big Pop-Eye Chicken eatin’ MF’er .  Rypiens on skates with the low ground.  I really wish it’d have been a fan who was bout it and cracked that little punk in the mouth.  Then have him get suspended and we could watch that Top 10 on ESPN for the next week.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 10/20/10 at 02:53 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

double side note, I’m illiterate and can’t spell.

I wish he woudl’ve* started shit with a real hardcore fan.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 10/20/10 at 02:55 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Chris Simon was supended 30 games for stomping on Ruttuu.

SInce thi sinvovles a FAN and not a player, and there was no instigation by the fan… you HAVE to go more than that.  So again, I say, suspend him for the whole remainder of the season.  And if they don’t, they’re godd*mn cowards.

As much of a prick we all think guys like Cooke and Avery are, this was far worse because it was assault on a *fan*.

The whole season.  He has to go.  Ban him.  It’s the only way to send a message about players interacting this way with fans.

What WILL he get?  Probably a paltry 5 games and a slap on the wrist because Colin Campbell is a stupid, idiotic little b*tch incapable of doing anything right.

If I’m a Wild fan, I absolutely berate the living crap out of Rypien now every time the Canucks come to town.  Rip him with signage, scream at him, target him, call his mother names… he brought it on himself and begged for it with his actions.  Reap what you’ve sown, Ryp….

Posted by Primis on 10/20/10 at 02:56 PM ET

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 10/20/10 at 12:55 PM ET
I wish he woudl’ve* started shit with a real hardcore fan. “

Haha, keep tryin’!

Posted by NathanBC on 10/20/10 at 02:57 PM ET

WingsJarhead19's avatar

20 games.
Hockey players have mouths as filthy as a drunken sailor (the Chief should know!), I doubt this fan said anything that Rypien hasn’t heard before.  He crossed the line - put his ass on the pine!

Posted by WingsJarhead19 from Austin, TX on 10/20/10 at 02:57 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I wish he woudl’ve* started shit with a real hardcore fan.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 10/20/10 at 12:55 PM ET

What’s pathetic is I bet Rypien still sues the fan somehow.

Posted by Primis on 10/20/10 at 02:57 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Anyone know if Rypien has a Twitter account?  If it’s not shut down by now already, I bet it gets shut down soon…

Posted by Primis on 10/20/10 at 02:58 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Regardless of the outcome…it’s amazing a player could get 5+ games for shoving a fan, yet another player can injure another player deliberately, and only get 2 games in the cooler for it. I’m not asking for logic…just some half-assed common sense.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 10/20/10 at 03:40 PM ET

If this were the NBA, the only discussion would be whether he’d be suspended for a calendar year, or only for the remainder of the season. In the NFL it’d be half a season or so. Some lines you don’t cross. Touching the fans is one of them. Minimum suspension has to be half the season.

Posted by Blackcloud on 10/20/10 at 03:57 PM ET

Well, the minor leagues come down real hard on the players for fighting with the fans.  Right or wrong, drunk or sober, a player-fan altercation is just bad for the league.

Tie Domi got a big fine and suspended two games for his altercation.

I don’t remember Rob Ray’s, though.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 10/20/10 at 04:45 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

The CBA has language about suspension lengths, and I’m too lazy to look it up. Anything more than 5 games means a meeting to decide it, with representation.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 10/20/10 at 04:50 PM ET

Twig's avatar

the thing about tie domi’s fine/suspension is the guy was huge, drunk and coming at him.

this kid in minnesota was not a threat to rypien. rypien was the aggressor, but i still think he’ll get 4-6.

Posted by Twig from Houston, TX on 10/20/10 at 05:42 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 10/20/10 at 12:55 PM ET
”I wish he woudl’ve* started shit with a real hardcore fan. “
Haha, keep tryin’!
Posted by NathanBC on 10/20/10 at 12:57 PM ET

What can I say? I ate a lot of paint chips as a kid.

I’m so excited! And I just can’t hide it!

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 10/20/10 at 07:12 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar
[b]You can’t go into the stands....for any reason...ever[/b]
Posted by UMFan from DenverColorado on 10/20/10 at 11:26 AM

What he said. What Rypien did is actually worse for the NHL than Bertuzzi. Fans and the public expect player on player violence. But a player with razor sharp blades on his feet, protective gear on his body and a weapon in his hands going into the stands threatening your customers is just plain unacceptable; it’s the NHLs worst nightmare. I would expect it would be punished accordingly, but this is the NHL we’re talking about. So the only thing I know is the punishment will not make one wit of rational sense to me or any one else.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 10/20/10 at 07:34 PM ET

Would this be the precedent, then?

From Wiki:

Subsequently NHL president John Ziegler suspended O’Reilly for eight games and McNab and Milbury for six, with each being fined $500.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 10/20/10 at 08:16 PM ET

UMFan's avatar

Would this be the precedent, then?

Probably not. That was 30 years ago. Why not set the precedent now. Although the Rypien incident was quite tame, the next time might not.

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 10/20/10 at 09:39 PM ET

Kind of agree.  In both the Domi and the Milbury case, it was instigated by the fans.  As noted by everyone here, Rypien was “fighting” a fan who was only clapping.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 10/20/10 at 09:45 PM ET

Believe it or not I was at the Garden the night the Bruins went into the stands. The fans did instigate that one, dumping beer on players and grabbing sticks at end of game. I didn’t see these fans do anything.  Players have to remember who pays their salaries, the customer is always right.  I don’t think the suspension should be too long because Rypien backed off pretty quickly.

Posted by 13 user names on 10/20/10 at 11:44 PM ET