KK- One Enhancement Complete

Probably the most requested from members was the ability to ignore another KK Member in the comments.

Well, it is in place now.

Go to your Profile, top right of any KK page, select utilities and then from there Manage Ignore List.

Add the member's screen name, click Add Member and you are finished.

Now when that member posts a comment, you will see You have chosen to ignore comments from this member.

Filed in: KK Website Business, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Keyser S.'s avatar

Why’s this page blank and who wrote it?

Posted by Keyser S. on 08/29/12 at 10:00 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Huh?

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/29/12 at 10:01 PM ET

Keyser S.'s avatar

Sorry, another bad joke. Like I put you on ignore. LOL.

Posted by Keyser S. on 08/29/12 at 10:13 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Thought so, always a comedian, no problem.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/29/12 at 10:14 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I think the option should be being a part of KK society (as a registered member) or not.  (I’m all in favor of keeping comments restricted to registered members.)  For one member to block out another fully privileged member of KK for no other reason than difference of opinion, is childish.  Unless a member abuses their privileges, all commenters should have a right to be seen/heard by all members.

There is only one regular around here who really deserves a ban and I think we all know who that is.  I think most of the people who want this feature would be happy if said person were gone.  Otherwise, why is this tool necessary?

I understand why this feature was provided, but I believe that the community we’ve all come to enjoy on this site will be diminished moving forward.  I mark this as a bad day for KK.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/30/12 at 01:07 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Meh…you worry a bit too much. Frankly…I don’t have time to go dinking around and figure out how to block others…and I really doubt a lot of other members will, either.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 08/30/12 at 01:49 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Can I ban myself?  smile

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 08/30/12 at 03:15 AM ET

Paul's avatar

bezukov, Say you live in a mid-sized to large city and after meeting a few of the neighbors, you realize you may want to ignore some of them.

The only screening I do for new members is check for spammers, other than that all are free to join.

Therefore, for the people who want to ignore some of the members, the option is available, for those that don’t, then do nothing.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/30/12 at 09:45 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Exactly. In that way, bezukov’s experience won’t be “diminished” one bit. On the other hand, for those who can’t stand to see one more randomly capitalized post from you-know-who, this feature is a god-send.

Now all we need is the ignore-this-blogger feature and we’ll be all set. smile

P.S. And you can see, Paul, the software gurus have restored the Smileys feature in Firefox on OS X. Much appreciated.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 08/30/12 at 11:43 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Paul, its always hard to tell over the internet, but I hope I didn’t come across as untoward with my comment yesterday.  I certainly didn’t mean any offense.  I know you’re trying to offer the best product you can to all of us, and I don’t mean to sound unappreciative.

This is strictly my opinion, but I think blocking another member is anti-social.  And considering that this tool is for the comment section, I think its regrettable and a little humorous that people have wanted the option.  But it isn’t my place to tell people what is right and wrong on this site, so I digress on that matter…

What I am trying to say is this: (and I know I’m getting hypothetical) I hate to think that I am going to miss out on some of the thoughts and interactions that will never occur if other users are blocking each other out.  Even though a certain someone gets on a lot of nerves, I often enjoy the reactions he/she inspires.  I don’t mean that to sound like I think of other members as a source of amusement.  On the contrary, there are a lot smart people on this site, and now they might (unwittingly) have fewer occasions to share their insights and knowledge.  I think thats a sad development.

So that’s all I’ll say about it.  If I haven’t been blocked by half the members already, I want to say thanks to those who have heard me out on this.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/30/12 at 03:36 PM ET

Paul's avatar

No issues on my end bezukov, everyone is entitled to their opinion and views.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/30/12 at 03:39 PM ET

bezukov:  I was one of the people pushing hard for this feature.  I have exactly one name on my list.  You likely know who it is (since you alluded to them earlier), and it’s definitely not you.  smile  In fact, I rather enjoy your contributions here; you often offer well-reasoned arguments.

Anyway, unless someone else comes onto this site and causes widespread disruption over a period of multiple years, I doubt I’ll ever add another name to my list.  I like coming here for the comments (even if I don’t often have much to say, myself).  I definitely don’t block/ignore someone because I disagree with them: that pretty much goes against the fun of a diverse hockey-loving community.  I like dissenting opinions because they challenge me, maybe causing me to rethink things in some cases.  I would never want that to go away!

Paul does a good enough job of keeping spammers away, and that’d be the only other people eligible for my list… people who are here to disrupt, not contribute.

Posted by GregAnnapolis on 08/30/12 at 05:15 PM ET