KK- Addressing The Deleted Post From Last Night

I am going to address the blog post from last night at The Puck Stops Here, which has been removed.

The title of the post was 'NHL Promoting Black Players With All-Star Selections' and it went downhill from there.

First off, the author of The Puck Stops Here will no longer be allowed to write again for KK.

I take full responsibility for it being allowed online and I am sorry for that.  He has been writing for quite some time and I have no idea why he decided to write what he did, but he did.

It does not reflect my beliefs and I was disgusted with the topic itself.  I see hockey players in one way only, they are players.  Race, gender, etc. do not come into play in my mind, just hockey.

Now to address some things in bullet form:

- KK stands for Kukla's Korner, my last name is Kukla.

- I will not repost the blog, I am sure people have taken screen shots of it and I have no problem of KK Members pointing to those.

- Twitter went off the charts last night, mostly fair and deserved comments, others not so much but I can understand why they were made.

- I would have caught the post in question a little earlier but was dealing with a sore throat and decided to get some rest. Ovechkin got his 1000th point early in the night so I was able to get that posted, then chill.

- Many of you now have had your requests met, TPSH is no longer on KK.

-I do not delete posts, but this time I had too.  I am still shaking my head, trying to wrap my mind around what TPSH was trying to accomplish.

-Thanks to those who had my back, it was needed and appreciated.

-Time to move on.

Filed in: KK Website Business, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Temo's avatar

Missed it.  Guessing it wasn’t a love fest.

Posted by Temo from La Capital, Míchígán on 01/12/17 at 08:56 AM ET

Primis's avatar

I think a lot of us always knew he was eventually going to write his way out himself.  He never could resist writing the things he probably shouldn’t.

There is such a thing as being a “gadfly”.  Where you poke a bit a people and things that need to be poked at every now and again, sometimes just to get reactions and see where it goes.  TPSH was no such thing.  And if that was the intent, he never came even close to that.

You give a LOT of leeway Paul, both to bloggers and commenters.  To the point where you usually err on the side of too much leeway.  So that we’re at this point says a lot.

Posted by Primis on 01/12/17 at 09:43 AM ET

Heaton's avatar

I only saw the headline from following KK on Facebook, but I trust your judgement Paul, thanks for the info.

Posted by Heaton on 01/12/17 at 09:44 AM ET

Iggy_Rules's avatar

Kk is a markedly better place this morning. Sorry that you had to deal with that, Paul. This is, as far as I am concerned, the best “current events” source for hockey on the net. Thanks for running it for us.

Posted by Iggy_Rules from Calgary, Canada on 01/12/17 at 09:56 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

I appreciate your stand PK.

Keep up the great work at KK.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 01/12/17 at 10:07 AM ET

Krysta ‏@krittterrr 7h7 hours ago
Krysta Retweeted Kukla’s Korner
A racist post on a blog that’s name is Kukla’s Korner which kinda sounds a lot like a well known racist organization…

I really *#$%@& hate people. I didn’t read the post, having read TPSH i’m guessing what they were trying to say vs what they actually said didn’t come across clearly, Paul caught it and removed it so that should be the end of the story. The fact that someone on Twitter can throw a tweet like this out towards Paul and simply shut down their computer with no ramifications drives me *#$%@& crazy.

Posted by weswolverine on 01/12/17 at 10:12 AM ET

I would routinely read that contributor’s post, but only out of morbid curiosity and generally to see how poorly they were written. In my estimation, the quality of writing alone would have been just cause to consider not including the author’s posts on this site, let alone the unnecessarily inflammatory and weakly substantiated content of last night’s offering. To echo the earlier sentiments, we’re all better off without it and thanks for taking the necessary action.

Posted by Squarewheels from The Land of Unhealthy Scratching on 01/12/17 at 10:27 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

I made a comment on that post, and I didn’t even think about the race side of it. As always, my criticisms are of poor writing and absolutely poor ideas that can’t be substantiated and are mighty flawed.

The NHL is not marketing to .000000001% of their fan base in a fledgling all star game.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/12/17 at 10:33 AM ET

The Meal's avatar

The initial post (I’m assuming it’s the initial post as there are typos strewn throughout and no comments are uploaded) is available under a google search for the exact title Paul provided and the google “cache” function.

The argument that TPSH promoted is summarized in his final paragraph: “I think that the fact the NHL seems to have preferentially added black players to the All Star rosters when none should have made the team on their own merits is suspicious…  There is nothing wrong with trying to market hockey to black fans but preferentially adding them to the All Star Game when more qualified other players are omitted seems dishonest.”

The argument is, for those familiar with TPSH’s writing, fairly standard (and unconvincing, personally).  Since I provided a method for folks to find it on their own, I won’t disassemble it here.

I won’t miss TPSH’s writing on KK.  As pointed out in the comments above, he unsuccessfully attempted to be a provocateur, and was extremely unprofessional in how he treated certain types of criticism.  There was humor from other KK bloggers at TPSH’s expense, and that was about the only entertainment (unintentionally) provided by that author.

I feel badly for Paul and the rest of the KK staff for having to deal with TPSH at such an inconvenient time in such a public manner.  Kudos to Paul for how he went forth in addressing the situation, and best luck to everyone moving forward.

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 01/12/17 at 11:14 AM ET

I’m glad I didn’t have time to read the blog post. I would chastise the content but it doesn’t even deserver that attention.

I appreciate and support your actions. Sorry you had to deal with the mess this certainly caused.

Posted by evileye on 01/12/17 at 11:24 AM ET

DocF's avatar

Racist post, indeed.  Neither Kukla’s Korner nor the NHL needs this kind of hatful crap from someone of the Former Poster’s ilk.  Kuklas’s Korner and the world are better for Former Poster bing permanently banned.

I have been in Paul’s position.  I had to ban for life two posters on a commercial board of which I was the paid administrator.  One of these was a friend.  On another board, I had to sic the Secret Service on one of our members for his hateful rants about George W. Bush.  I know exactly how Paul feels today.

I want to thank him again for doing right, as I knew he would.

Doc

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 01/12/17 at 11:59 AM ET

Ajax19's avatar

Sorry you had to go through all of that, Paul.

It sucks.  While I totally missed the post and this whole thing, it is not in any way reflective of you or this site.

I, for one, won’t miss posts about who TPSH NOW considers a hall of famer.

Posted by Ajax19 on 01/12/17 at 12:04 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Thanks everyone for the comments and I feel a DeadSpin post coming, but for the wrong reason.

Life goes on.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/12/17 at 12:05 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

Thanks, Paul. I read his post last night just a few minutes after it went up and contemplated replying. Surprisingly, I made the right decision and laid low.

I think most of us recognize PSH as someone with some fairly significant social issues, whose choppy, robotic writing frequently involved cherry picking disparate facts and statistics and throwing them together as if it represented proof of unlikely events, ignoring the basic multiplication rule of probability amongst.  Fwiw, I think he probably gets caught up in his own mind and doesn’t mean any harm. I always felt a little sorry for him, not that it stopped me from taking a shot here or there, but when he starts posting garbage like this that affects the site’s reputation, his blog obviously had to go.

Cheers

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 01/12/17 at 12:13 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

For what it’s worth Paul, Deadspin just posted an article about it and was rather kind to KK and yourself.

So I guess there’s that.

I’d say I can’t believe he’d write that but…I think he has no internal filter…so…

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 01/12/17 at 12:53 PM ET

Outside of the red wings and some occasional headline grabbing, I have little time to track stats for all the players.  He backed his opinion with stats.  Has anyone posted a rebuttal with stats? I’m not agreeing with his premise. Just curious.

Posted by SlimChance on 01/12/17 at 01:26 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Has anyone posted a rebuttal with stats?

“Stats” aren’t the only thing that go into figuring out who is going to the all star game. Plenty of players had probably declined, fan voting got PK in, Simmonds is an absolute fan favorite in Philly.

Byfuglien didn’t get in (likely due to a very competitive division) even though he has the…. “stats.”

Ristolainen vs. Okposo? Ristolainen probably declined, and I am not sure if Eichel was even invited.

I forgot the last player he made mention of….

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/12/17 at 01:34 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Seth Jones. I’m just going with a weak class of d-men.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/12/17 at 01:37 PM ET

Yeah, I understand that. And like I said I don’t agree with his premise but was hoping for something more substantive than he’s a racist and possibly “on the spectrum”.  Which seems slightly offensive in its own right.

Posted by SlimChance on 01/12/17 at 01:37 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

Posted by SlimChance on 01/12/17 at 12:26 PM ET

Nah, not really. Throwing a few random data points out there is certainly not “backing his opinion with stats”, and if you’re going to come up with theories like that, the onus is definitely on you to provide strong, strong support, not on me to disprove it. He always cherry picks stats. Points, Corsi/ Fenwick, PDO, plus-minus, whatever fits his current storyline, ignoring the others, so the fact that he uses a number or two is hardly “backing his opinion with stats.”  If he was to identify players that he felt didn’t belong in the game, that’s one thing, but to come use that alone to come up with a theory and treat it as fait-accompli is the most non-rigorous pile of bs imaginable. There was no other evidence whatsoever for his main premise.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 01/12/17 at 03:13 PM ET

Paul, you are a good person.  Keep up the good work.

Posted by bsalamon on 01/12/17 at 03:21 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

- Many of you now have had your requests met, TPSH is no longer on KK.

Good riddance to bad rubbish

Should have happened a long time ago.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 01/12/17 at 03:22 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 01/12/17

Or as he did to me a couple of years ago, simply change the wording of my comment to make it seem like I supported his position instead of opposing it. Paul stepped in then and made things right, but that’s the last time I ever read a PSH post. And once the Ignore feature was introduced, I didn’t even have to look at his inane headlines on the Home page any more.

Kudos to Paul for doing what he always does – the right thing.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 01/12/17 at 03:23 PM ET

Ass Moses's avatar

How am I going to know who is a hall of famer?

Posted by Ass Moses on 01/12/17 at 04:07 PM ET

How am I going to know who is a hall of famer?

I suppose I will need to find a new source for poorly-defended contrarian opinions written at a 4th grade level.

Posted by EthrDemon on 01/12/17 at 05:07 PM ET

I have a feeling he’d get an idea of how things were, then would twist the stats to support that point.  It always felt kind of pointless and far from objective.

As someone who loves stats but doesn’t understand them, I wonder if I can write a stats based hockey blog lol

Posted by neffernin on 01/12/17 at 05:09 PM ET

joedaiceman's avatar

I fully expect I will get banned from KK because I disagree.

How can you say this was a racist rant? His point - whether you agree or not - is that color was a factor in the selection process. Have we gotten to the point that when someone states a point of view that involves race, they are immediately labeled a racist?

I personally have no idea if his hypothesis was right or wrong, but I can listen to to this point of view without immediately labeling the person a racist. Frankly, I do not think he made a good argument, but it is a reflection of today’s intolerant mood that just because it was suggested that race was a factor in the decision process that this inappropriate action was taken.

Grow up people.

KK - I realize, despite my many monetary contributions to the site, this is the end for me. I regret that outcome and appreciate everything that KK has done for hockey. I cannot just stand by and see this reaction and not take a stand against it. Label me whatever you will, but at least I can listen to a point of view that I personally do not agree with deal with it like an adult and not some cog in the politically correct machine.

Posted by joedaiceman on 01/12/17 at 07:28 PM ET

Paul's avatar

joeda… first off why would I ban you for expressing your views properly and if referring tom e, I never used the word racist or close to it.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/12/17 at 07:36 PM ET

For those who may not know personally, he is one of the most decent guys walking the face of the Earth and would never stand for anything untoward on the site.

A well reasoned decision to remove the offending post, sack the writer and move on.

Posted by pcoffey on 01/12/17 at 09:47 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Thanks for what you do here, Paul.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 01/12/17 at 10:12 PM ET

Unfortunate to have this drama slander this wonderful blog. However, it’s been a long time coming and I’m glad to never be subjected to such terrible hockey blog writing from TPSH ever again. Good riddance.

Posted by redwings_lifer on 01/13/17 at 10:29 AM ET