KK- Decision Time, KK Members Your Input Would Be Appreciated

Over the years, I have had numerous inquiries from potential advertisers asking me to post a blog about their product, business, service, etc., all non-hockey related.

They of course would pay for the “info-blog” but I have always declined their request.

As KK continues to grow, these inquiries continue and the amount they are willing to pay increases too.

If I chose to allow this type of post, it would not be on a regular basis, maybe 2 a week, then a lull for a few months, then maybe one a month, etc.

As you know, I am independent of any large backing, it is me and me alone.  I decided on that path because I wanted to be free of what I can and can’t post and I also did not feel like having to report to someone else.

Everything starts and stops with me but I also value the input of the fine and dedicated KK members.

So let me know how you feel about this, thanks.

Filed in: KK Website Business, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Savage Henry's avatar

I don’t have any objection, I’m adept at ignoring stuff that doesn’t interest me.  I’m especially interested in anything that could help you reward George for his efforts.

Posted by Savage Henry on 04/25/12 at 04:48 PM ET

wolverine's avatar

Paul, if I don’t have any interest in an article, I don’t click on it.  It’s ultimately my decision so why not make a little money if you can.  Keep up the great work.

Posted by wolverine on 04/25/12 at 04:52 PM ET

eyesris's avatar

I personally don’t have a problem with that. Like Savage Henry said, I’m good at ignoring stuff.

Plus the frequency you are talking about isn’t that bad at all, especially if the financial kick back is significant.

Posted by eyesris from Asheville, NC on 04/25/12 at 04:52 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Yes, it will not happen very often and of course you will know right away what type of blog it is.

The reason advertisers want to do this in the high Google Page Rank KK has.  By doing this type of blog, it increases their search engine status.

The dollar amount has become significant and that is why I am asking KK members to comment on it.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/25/12 at 04:56 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Not a problem.

I would worry about misleading article titles misrepresenting a paid advertisement as a blog-related editorial, but I think you’ve more than earned the benefit of the doubt on that.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/25/12 at 05:00 PM ET

Zaze's avatar

Paul from my perspective, I support it.  I’m a web application consultant myself and the only big revolts from end users that we see with regards to implemeting more sponsor advertisements are when you start introducing hover ads, popup ads, or persistent “toolbars” (like meebo).  A couple posts here and there?  That’s just fine!  Keep up the great work.

Posted by Zaze on 04/25/12 at 05:03 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

Sounds entirely reasonable to me as well.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 04/25/12 at 05:03 PM ET

Great idea. I fully support it. Especially if its pertinent to hockey, I see no reason not to pursue such support!

Posted by The Upper Canadien from Toronto on 04/25/12 at 05:04 PM ET

NickLidstrom's avatar

Do it Paul. You deserve to get paid.

Do It!

Posted by NickLidstrom from a Higher Ground on 04/25/12 at 05:04 PM ET

That sounds like an excellent idea. Some people might find some of the ads pertinent and useful, the blog won’t turn into a collection of ads, anyone who isn’t interested can use their option not to click on it, and as long as the ads aren’t sneaky and try to pass themselves off as editorials I see no problem at all with them.

I think it is a great idea to get some additional income. You’ve spent a lot of time and effort building this up, and you should reap some of the benefits of getting such a large readership to help maintain it.

(Pretty much a long-winded way of saying “go ahead.”) :D

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 04/25/12 at 05:05 PM ET

awould's avatar

I’m completely ok with it. If it does not interest me, I do not click. You got a right to make some money.

Posted by awould on 04/25/12 at 05:17 PM ET

Do it, Paul.  You deserve extra cheddar.

Posted by VandyBuck on 04/25/12 at 05:22 PM ET

petshark's avatar

If they are going to make it worth your time, go for it.  I don’t mind non-hockey stuff showing up where I look for hockey.

Posted by petshark from Nor Cal, and on Twitter @petshark47 on 04/25/12 at 05:28 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

Go for it Paul, it’s about time you started seeing some appropriate returns for all the work you put in.

Posted by BrendonR on 04/25/12 at 05:29 PM ET

Paul of course it is fine, it’s not like we don’t expect it! Any other site does so. Very kind of you to request our input but just do it!

Posted by puckinthehead from thunder bay on 04/25/12 at 05:31 PM ET

I have never posted here and doubt I will again.  I love the heck out of the coverage all the bloggers give.  I do visit 3-4 times a day or more, I have no life.

If this has been out of your pocket for the life of me I do not know why you did not do it earlier.  You have a service or provide a service or avenue that people would like to use and pay you for.

Go for it.  Like the above I can ignore alot, ask my ex wife….

But maybe some hockey related ads if you do not have them already, see I can ignore with the best of them….

Posted by hockey sinner from hockey purgitory on 04/25/12 at 05:32 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Go for it Paul. Just the fact that you ask for our input makes you #1. You have my utmost respect.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/25/12 at 05:35 PM ET

How much time do you put into this a day/week/month?

What sort of compensation do your receive mental/financial?

Base your decision there.

Posted by assmoses on 04/25/12 at 05:37 PM ET

gowings's avatar

Not a problem! Go for it

Posted by gowings from MTL on 04/25/12 at 05:37 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Go for it.  You do a lot for little reward.

I think that if the content becomes even slightly annoying, we’re more likely to make a game out of the comment section than be put off by it.

“Your Mangrate is an interesting product, but what kind’ve CORSI numbers can we expect it to put up over an 82 game season?”

“Audible sounds like a fine service, but I couldn’t handle listening to Blood Feud because of the author’s lisp.”

“Progressive insurance sounds affordable.  What would it cost to get a policy on my television? I tend to throw things at it during DRW losses.”

etc.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 04/25/12 at 05:47 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Do it, Paul. Very classy of you to ask us what we think. You’re the best!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/25/12 at 05:50 PM ET

dougie's avatar

By all means, do it.

Posted by dougie on 04/25/12 at 05:52 PM ET

I am ok with anything that keeps this site going!!

Posted by TR on 04/25/12 at 05:53 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

As long as its clearly marked as advertisement i have no issue with it. Particularly if its hockey related.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/25/12 at 05:55 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

Boy oh boy, you would think it was OUR website. Thumbs up here, brother.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 04/25/12 at 05:57 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Paul, it is your blog, and your creation.  I realize the enormous amount of time and energy you have devoted to KK.  Frankly, I find what you do remarkable.  I am flattered that you asked opinion input.

Obviously, it would help you out financially, and your effort deserves to be rewarded.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/25/12 at 06:00 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Paul, I am constantly impressed by both your integrity and your devotion to this site.  I have absolutely no qualms about you posting these these types of articles.  You deserve the paycheck.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 04/25/12 at 03:47 PM ET

This sounds like a winning idea.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 04/25/12 at 06:12 PM ET

CPSLOgoalie31's avatar

Still my number 1 spot for hockey news.  I think I can ignore the occasional ad here and there.  Thanks for all that you do Paul!

Posted by CPSLOgoalie31 from San Luis Obispo, CA on 04/25/12 at 06:24 PM ET

pautna's avatar

Go for it Paul!

Posted by pautna on 04/25/12 at 06:26 PM ET

socalwingnut's avatar

Do it, Paul! A few more bucks in your pocket are well-deserved. I get so much out of this site, it almost feels like stealing.

Posted by socalwingnut on 04/25/12 at 06:38 PM ET

Ajax19's avatar

Do it.

Make it rain, Paul!!

Posted by Ajax19 on 04/25/12 at 06:43 PM ET

Do it.

Posted by Jean-Luc from Montreal on 04/25/12 at 06:50 PM ET

lordhogie's avatar

Give’er Paul..it’s not going to affect my readership one bi tand if it helps make things easier on you than by all means go for it!

Posted by lordhogie from Calgary on 04/25/12 at 07:01 PM ET

Peter10's avatar

Go for it Paul!

Posted by Peter10 from Germany on 04/25/12 at 07:01 PM ET

joedaiceman's avatar

Ditto - anything that helps KK is a good thing.

Posted by joedaiceman on 04/25/12 at 07:13 PM ET

Keyser S.'s avatar

Make some money damnit!

Also, can we get more smileys with the extra money wink

Posted by Keyser S. on 04/25/12 at 07:26 PM ET

Salty's avatar

The fact that you felt like you should ask speaks for the character I associate with this place.  On that note, get paid sir.

Posted by Salty on 04/25/12 at 07:51 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Paul, it’s all about choice for me.  I click because I want to or I ignore because I want to.  “Give me choice or give me…” whatever.

Posted by calquake on 04/25/12 at 08:23 PM ET

yzer19man's avatar

Two thumbs up Paul.  This sounds like a great plan and I appreciate you considering the input of your readers. Most bloggers wouldn’t do that. Anything that could potentially make your site better I am in favor of.

Posted by yzer19man from Chicago, IL on 04/25/12 at 08:24 PM ET

To echo all the other posts: Get paid, my man! You deserve it.

Thanks for the great service. We are lucky to have KK (and you).

Posted by Seaner from San Jose on 04/25/12 at 08:27 PM ET