Kids Go Camping With Datsyuk

from Rory Boylen of The Hockey News,

Some guys just get it.

Pavel Datsyuk, the superstar of few words, has taken a couple weeks out of his summer for the past three years to give back to the community and provide a lucky group of kids with a unique hockey school experience.

Just outside of his hometown, Ekaterinburg, in Russia – in a setting that resembles Ontario’s Muskoka cottage country – Datsyuk ran two one-week camps that included instruction from NHL coaches, European players and a mixed martial-arts trainer.

“He continues to change my opinion of how people behave,” said Todd Woodcroft, a longtime NHL scout who has been involved with the camp since Day 1.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: pavel+datsyuk

Comments

WingsFaninCO's avatar

call me biased if you want, but there is (at least0 one undeniable truth here: Pav is 100% classy

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 09/28/10 at 05:22 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

He continues to change my opinion of how people behave…

Pavel is all dangle-dangle on the ice. But off the ice, he’s as stright-forward a human being as there is on this planet.

We see tons of stories about Cindy Rosby delivering season tickets to Pens fans, but we rarely see the MSM cover stories like this. Kudos to Boylen for reporting a story that reflects what hockey is really all about.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/29/10 at 12:42 AM ET

shanetx's avatar

I could be wrong (which would mean Paul posts it) but I think we only see the Crosby tickets story because there’s a good penguins blog on this site.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 09/29/10 at 05:06 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

My point wasn’t that there’s too much coverage of those kinds of stories here (Tony is just reporting on what’s being written by the MSM). The point is that the MSM are infatuated with Cindy and anything he does is “big” news. It was just nice for a change to see a story about someone like Pavel who’s doing some really cool things for young hockey players.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/29/10 at 01:06 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I WANT TO GO TO CAMP DANGLE!!

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 09/29/10 at 04:07 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Oh, totally agree with you there.  I was just trying to give Tony a bit of a nod because, even as much as I hate the penguins, he does a pretty good job of representing them in a palatable manner.

On the subject of Datsyuk’s camp… Last year, I saw a short video that talked about the camp and it briefly included (and had a quote from) one of the players who was helping him, there, who was practically aglow about how great Datsyuk was.  I can’t for the life of me remember who the guy was, but I know he was a complete goon in the Boogard, Downie way.  Anyone remember this?  I know it also had a clip of Datsyuk playing soccer with kids outside.  raspberry

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 09/29/10 at 09:23 PM ET