KHL Hoping for Italian Expansion

via KHL press release:

On June 22nd, a press conference featuring Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) President Alexander Medvedev, Hockey Club Milano Rossoblu President Ico Migliore and Italian national ice hockey federation (FISG) President Giancarlo Bolognini took place in Milan.

During the press conference a general outline of the partnership between the KHL and the hockey club from Milan – a city whose teams have won the Italian national championship 27 times – was presented.  Ico Migliore and Giancarlo Bolognini then shared their thoughts on development of Italian hockey due to HC Milano Rossoblu possibly joining the KHL in the future.

Additionally, Alexander Medvedev introduced different aspects of the League’s activities to the local media representatives in attendance, as well as shared the criteria necessary for new teams to join the KHL and presented an overview of the League’s vision for expansion.

“Here ice hockey is tradition too and the sport - a mixture of speed, guile and imagination – resembles the Italian character. The expansion of the League is irreversible, the result of a geopolitical project, and it will bring in fans from all over Europe,” said Medvedev.  “I am very happy that the Federation is here today and I hope that this initiative can help the movement grow up from its roots. So, see you again in April, when we’ll launch the project.”

Filed in: Non-NHL Hockey, European Hockey, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: italy, khl

Comments

Heard about this since a while, since I live in Italy. Looking forward to seeing good hockey live once in my life too smile

Still far from sure how this will work out for the future of the italian ice hockey.

Posted by tgummerer on 06/23/11 at 07:41 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

I can imagine it would be exciting, if you’re a hockey fan living in a place where hockey doesn’t have a big market typically.  If the KHL does go there, I hope you get to enjoy some games!

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/23/11 at 07:54 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Maybe a relative of MIchael Corleone can own a team, Since the KHL owners are all Russian Mafia

Posted by Evilpens on 06/23/11 at 08:03 PM ET

Slumpy's avatar

As Joe Dolce sung: Shaddap You Face LOL

KHL should expand like this to other countries. Eventually we may see a KHL champ vs a SC champ play in the future if the KHL can expand to many other European countries.

Posted by Slumpy from Detroit on 06/23/11 at 10:35 PM ET

edillac's avatar

what?
so I should expect KHL in my hometown soon,because Acroni Jesenice beats Milan anyday of the week,and the majority owners of our biggest sponsor are Russian steel mafia

Posted by edillac from isolation on 06/24/11 at 06:56 AM ET

@edillac

I don’t think this KHL team is much about the current team in Milan. Probably not one player from there will ever play in the KHL. I’d take a look at the population numbers of the cities. I think that’s the main reason for Milan.

Posted by tgummerer on 06/24/11 at 07:07 AM ET

edillac's avatar

off couse,I was just joking,Milan is a big city,known worldwide,
but I would realy like to see some italian clubs joining the EBEL,there is already a team from Chech republic coming in for the upcoming season,maybe also Munich,it would be great

Posted by edillac from isolation on 06/24/11 at 07:49 AM ET

Sure I would like to see that too. Bolzano would be a good team with enough money for the EBEL but that’s a team that depends too much on one person, so I don’t see that happening.

Posted by tgummerer on 06/24/11 at 08:29 AM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

More on the KHL’s Italy initiative posted here.

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/24/11 at 06:32 PM ET