Kessel Loves Toronto

from Mark Zwolinski of the Toronto Star,

Phil Kessel tried to clear the air Monday morning after comments he made Sunday in practice where he was critical of his linemates, and indicated he and coach Ron Wilson do not speak.

Kessel said Sunday that “it’s not working here” — meaning his line with Tyler Bozak and Joey Crabb — but websites Monday morning interpreted “here” to mean he wanted a trade out of Toronto.

“I was talking about linemates, nothing else,” Kessel said.

“I love Toronto, I love this city and I love the fans and the team, I don’t want a trade or anything like that.”

continued

added 2:57pm, from Bob McKenzie of TSN,

Toronto Maple Leaf general manager Brian Burke met separately this morning with head coach Ron Wilson and winger Phil Kessel. His message was the same to the two individuals, who traded barbs through the media yesterday.

“I just told them to, ‘Sort it out with each other, get it cleared up,’” Burke said. “Because neither one of them is going anywhere. I am not trading the player. I am not firing the coach.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Toronto Maple Leafs, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: phil+kessel

Comments

mmuskrat's avatar

“We talked about scoring and it isn’t an issue with me,” Wilson said.

Inspiring.

Posted by mmuskrat on 02/07/11 at 04:29 PM ET

That’s what I gathered when reading it, then every headline was “It’s not working here.”

Posted by NathanBC on 02/07/11 at 04:42 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’d be a lot more willing to completely throw the blame on an overreactionary media corps in Toronto if Kessel hadn’t already whined himself out of one hockey market.

Being as it may, I only mostly blame an overreactionary media corps in Toronto for the misunderstanding.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/07/11 at 05:26 PM ET

That’s what I gathered when reading it

That’s what I gathered when I read it, but I saw video of it last night and it sure as hell sounded like he wants out of Toronto…

Posted by Garth on 02/07/11 at 05:28 PM ET

Thing is, since when does “here” mean “with my linemates”?

Posted by Garth on 02/07/11 at 05:34 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Thing is, since when does “here” mean “with my linemates”?

When the context of the conversation is the switching of your linemates, probably.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 02/07/11 at 07:28 PM ET

Yeah, right.  Location is very different from people, last I checked.

Check out youtube, watch the video and tell me that’s what he meant.  Besides which, he said “not working out here” and “maybe it’s time for a change” AFTER he had been switched to a different line.

And look at the quote from Burke, doesn’t sound like it was explained to him that it was only about the line changes, otherwise why would he say “I am not trading the player”?

Seems to me that if the context is changing linemates, why would he mention trading the player?

Sorry, I don’t buy it.

I also don’t care, beyond the fact that I find it all amusing.

Posted by Garth on 02/07/11 at 07:53 PM ET

Trading for Phil Kessel was the wrong move to make. There, I said it.

Posted by NathanBC on 02/07/11 at 10:19 PM ET

There, I said it.

FINALLY someone has the balls to say it!!

Posted by Garth on 02/08/11 at 12:41 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

When I saw the clip on Vs last night, it sounded like he was dogging Ron Wilson. The use of pronouns and vague references (“it” and “here” specifically) make this something that anyone can frame just about any way. It’s much ado about nothing. Kessel is a talented underperformer and Wilson is as inspiring as a flat soda. Toronto needs something to talk about, and they don’t have much else from the Maple Laffs right now.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/08/11 at 12:38 PM ET

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/08/11 at 09:38 AM ET

And also, Phil Kessel wants out but Burke has told him that he’s not going to trade him, so Kessel’s backing off.

Posted by Garth on 02/08/11 at 02:14 PM ET