Kessel Suspended For The Remaining Pre-Season Games (3)

Brendan Shanahan explains the suspension.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Toronto Maple Leafs, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: phil+kessel

Comments

yzer19man's avatar

Wow, didn’t see the Philly incident. Looks like Phil has a temper problem. Should have been suspended 1 regular season game too, but we all know that wasn’t going to happen.

Posted by yzer19man from Chicago, IL on 09/24/13 at 04:53 PM ET

Just a joke.

Posted by Dan_T on 09/24/13 at 04:58 PM ET

perfection's avatar

yeah, I agree that was interesting to see the philly stuff and really interesting Shanny actually mentioned it despite the fact that there was no supplemental discipline for that. He’s at least acknowledging a pattern.

I definitely think the punishment is plenty as I personally think he shouldn’t get any games but ONLY to set a standard regarding this kind of circumstance. I think the act in and of itself is definitely worthy of the punishment, but I also think the GOON as a concept needs to just be phased out of the game. I don’t mind occasional fights, but when there’s guys in the league who’s ONLY role is to cause injury after play has stopped, you are just asking for situations like this. If a guy who can’t play actual hockey gets lined up against a scorer and immediately throws his gloves off, I’d hope if it were Zetterberg in Kessel’s place, he too would try to break his lumber over Scott. Hell, I’m sure Kessel would do it again… and if he got two or three additional regular season games, he’d STILL do it again. In fact, Shanny acknowledging the defense aspect actually makes it seem like if he didn’t go in for that second swing, he actually might not have received any suspension. But I don’t know who, Z included, wouldn’t be angry enough to take a second swing in that circumstance. The little poke at the end however…

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 09/24/13 at 05:07 PM ET

This will make a great year to watch opposing teams’ players get under Kessel’s skin and make him stick swing since it seems to be what he does. Now that he has a suspension another stick swinging incident will get him real game suspensions. Just another reason to hate the Leafs and enjoy my Center Ice package.

Posted by Puckbubba on 09/24/13 at 05:10 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I call Shanahanigins. And, I’m quite sure, this will not be the only time this season. What would the punishment be if Kessel did injure the goon? The point is, it shouldn’t matter. Intent to injure, with a stick no less, and, it’s not the first time.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 09/24/13 at 05:13 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Puckbubba on 09/24/13 at 06:10 PM ET

If someone drops the gloves to go after him, he does NOT need to answer in kind.  That’s a point that seems completely lost on some.

If teams or guys were trying this I can guarantee the league’d run them out.  Because Kessel is worth way more to the league than Scott, or quite frankly the entire Buffalo Sabres team probably.

Posted by Primis on 09/24/13 at 06:14 PM ET

DocF's avatar

Well, Phil Kessel has just been given permission to whack some opponent in the leg and fracture it.  This is nowhere near enough of a penalty for doing something so stupid.  The goon and his mentor should also be suspended for a regular season game or two.

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 09/24/13 at 06:17 PM ET

Savage Henry's avatar

Agreed that Kessel will probably do the same thing (at least the initial slash) should a similar situation occur.  If the opponent with the broken leg is Scott or someone of his ilk, I won’t shed a tear.

Posted by Savage Henry on 09/24/13 at 08:36 PM ET

Looks like the NHL tried to split the baby. They essentially said that he had a right to slash in self defense,but not once it became clear Scott was not a threat he should have stopped. I think the Philly issue was added to make it less about Scott and more about swinging sticks. I think they tried to prevent a message being sent that it is fair game on stars. What is unknown is what the real message will be to the coaches and goons.

Posted by timbits on 09/24/13 at 10:19 PM ET