Kesler’s Rehab Slowed, Months Away From Playing

from Ben Kuzma of the Vancouver Province,

Ryan Kesler's return from offseason shoulder and wrist surgeries has been pushed back several months, according to his agent. The Vancouver Canucks beg to differ on the extent of that timeline provided by Kurt Overhardt, but it's not a stretch for anyone to suggest that the centre won't be back next month as forecasted earlier this fall.

When Kesler was re-evaluated two weeks ago at the Cleveland Clinic to assess progress from a May 8 procedure on his left shoulder and June 27 surgery on his left wrist, it was determined the rehab load placed on one side of his body was taking a toll and that progress has been slow.

"The re-evaluation was positive in that the surgeries were successful," said Overhardt. "However, the compounding nature of both of those surgeries being on the same side of the body, it's been very hard to properly rehab either one of the them — particularly the shoulder — because that's obviously a big deal.

"I don't think it's fair to have any sort of time frame when he's going to be 100 per cent and cleared to play. I don't have a crystal ball and it's certainly months away, it's not weeks away. It's several months away."

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Vancouver Canucks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: ryan+kesler

Comments

I wonder if, since he was injured while playing, his injury status impacts whether or not he’s still being paid.  Sort of like how you can’t cut an injured player.

It seems like a fairly obvious legal protection, I just don;t know if the NHL has it.

If they do, though… I can see why a rehab might get, er, ‘elongated’.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 12/14/12 at 06:18 AM ET

Sigh.  How about I read the whole article first.

Yeah, that’s the way it works.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 12/14/12 at 06:19 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Personally, I bet he “fell” out of the wheel chair when they were wheeling him out of the hospital…

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 12/14/12 at 11:44 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 12/14/12 at 10:44 AM ET

+19 perfect

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 12/14/12 at 01:30 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

“It was the strangest thing,” one hospital desk clerk said, speaking on a condition of anonymity.  “I’ve seen a lot of patients wheeled out of here and never seen one go flying out of the chair quiet like that.  I remember thinking, ‘Mmm, he musta got stung by a bee’.”

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 12/14/12 at 02:51 PM ET