Kesler Should Be The Next Vancouver Captain

from Ian MacIntyre of the Vancouver Sun,

Henrik Sedin doesn’t seem to be anyone’s exciting first choice to be the next Vancouver Canucks captain.

Soft-spoken. Unintimidating. Confusing, what with that chromosome thing with his identical twin teammate. And — let’s face it — Henrik is too Swedish in the wake of the last Canuck captain, Markus Naslund, before the great goalie experiment that ended Monday with Roberto Luongo’s timely and unselfish resignation.

The only people who seem to really love the idea of Sedin succeeding him are the ones who will make that decision, which is why in a couple of weeks the not-quite-30-year-old Hart Trophy winner will be named captain by general manager Mike Gillis and coach Alain Vigneault.

Ryan Kesler?

No. 1 in our poll, No. 2 in their hearts.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Vancouver Canucks, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

edillac's avatar

Henrik is too Swedish

god I hate canadian media types

he means those people that know less than him,those swede lovin NHL team running ignorants?
lol,The Canuckiban are the real extremists and the danger to the game we love

Posted by edillac from isolation on 09/14/10 at 09:24 AM ET

shazam88's avatar

Did you actually read the article?

While Kesler had a big lead in early returns on a Vancouver Sun web poll asking readers to pick a captain, Sedin is the exponentially better choice. Besides being an gifted player and co-leader for longest-serving Canuck, Henrik is accountable, articulate, approachable and unflappable

Granted it’s not well written, but you’re extrapolating pretty heavily from a small segment of it.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 09/14/10 at 11:58 AM ET

Ok shazam88, but with a headline from Paul that reads “Kesler Should Be The Next Vancouver Captain,” it doesn’t really leave much to interpretation, or give you much reason to read the article to find out who he’s talking about.

Maybe it should have read something like: “Kesler Should Be The Next Vancouver Captain”

Posted by NathanBC on 09/14/10 at 12:28 PM ET

Oops! Wrong cut & paste, the last line should say:

Maybe it should have read something like: “Canucks will C that Henrik Sedin replaces Roberto Luongo as captain”

Posted by NathanBC on 09/14/10 at 12:29 PM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

I think Kesler should be the next captain.  Henrik is a good player but he I’m not sure how i feel about him being captain. Kesler is young, has that spark and is able to hype his teammates up by laying that big hit, getting in the opponents face, while being defensively responsible.  He gets mad, but stays in control at the same time, and leads by example.

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 09/14/10 at 12:53 PM ET

Kesler will lead exactly how you described Luongo-is-my-hero without a C on his chest, but I just don’t think he’s the right person. The Sedins have been here ten years, they’ve looked, learned, dealt with media and fan pressures and so on and so on.

I think Kesler is too much of a hot-head (very emotional), and I think if he was made Captain, it would detract from other parts of his game, mainly your last sentence above. With his hockey personality from what I’ve gathered over the years, I think at this time the Captaincy would put changes into parts of his game that need to stay as they are. I think he would put a lot of stock into being the Captain (as he has talked about, being C on a Canadian team), and it would detract this season.

I don’t see how he won’t develop into a perfect candidate in the future. I hate Rayn Kesler.

Posted by NathanBC on 09/14/10 at 02:03 PM ET