Ken Holland Would Like to get an Enforcer

From the Detroit News’ Chris McCosky:

The question comes up around this time every summer: Should the Red Wings acquire an enforcer?

“Ideally, yeah, we’d love to go out and get an enforcer,” general manager Ken Holland said Monday. “But I can’t make one up. We don’t have one in our organization right now, so I have one of two choices. Either I trade for one or I get one through free agency.”

Holland has a history of adding one agitator to the roster, usually later in the summer or right after training camp. He brought in Brad May after the team returned from Sweden last year. Before that, Aaron Downey, Darren McCarty and Dallas Drake were late additions to the roster.

Continue Reading:

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: detroit+red+wings, nhl-hockey

Comments

HMB Wing's avatar

Same talking point, different season, expecting the same result: no enforcer for the Wings this year.  Its hard to argue with the logic as an enforcer being a luxury, yet at the same time, its hard to ignore the positive effect an enforcer has on his team.

I for one would be more than happy to sign Shelley, Barch, or Boogaard, but that is why Tick Tock had his contract renewed and I’m just another fan wishing the Wings had an enforcer.

The Wild are obviously not going to bring Boogaard back with Scott and Staubitz on their roster, and the Wings have plenty of empty seats at the Joe throughout the season.  Why not bring in Boogaard, and have a pure energy fourth line?

Abdelkader - Ritola - Boogaard as our 4th line?  Yes please.  =)

Here’s to hoping Holland can make it happen!

Posted by HMB Wing from Bay Area on 06/22/10 at 02:50 PM ET

Here’s to hoping Holland can make it happen!

I’m gonna have to respectfully disagree.

Posted by Garth on 06/22/10 at 03:00 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Ken Holland Would Like to get an Enforcer

Pass.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 06/22/10 at 03:11 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

While I don’t really like Boogaard as a person, we’d be given a guaranteed fight nearly every night.  Until Mike demotes him back to the AHL, like he has every other enforcer.

I say put ‘em all in summer camp and let them fight it out.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 06/22/10 at 03:11 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

If they can’t contribute with anything more than rights n lefts… PASS.
Downie was a likeable sumbitch, but the only real effective one was Dally. Norton was a FAIL, May was a FAIL too.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 06/22/10 at 04:15 PM ET

HMB Wing's avatar

Speaking of FAIL, Downie has never played a game for the Red Wings.  That said, you do make a good point, which is why Holland needs to be willing to ante up to get a guy that can get the job done without being a liability to the team.  We have to give up something to get something, if that means not re-signing Eaves, Miller, or Maltby then so be it.  I’d rather see Abdelkader and Ritola playing full time, and I DO like Eaves, Miller, and Maltby.

Its just a bunch of hot air, same stuff different year.  We can look forward to another year of the Wings turning the other cheek.  Drives me absolutely nuts.

Posted by HMB Wing from Bay Area on 06/22/10 at 04:24 PM ET

We can look forward to another year of the Wings turning the other cheek.

And I say GOOD.  Why would you want a useless tool who’s going to play 6 minutes a night just to “fire up the team” with a fight?

I love watching fighting, but the best part of it is that as a Wings fan I don’t have to worry about idiots taking stupid fighting penalties.

Give me Eaves, Miller, Abdelkader, Ritola and even Maltby over any bonehead enforcer.

Holland is the smartest guy when it comes to enforces.  You bring in a guy when you’ve got enough cap space and when you need that cap space you drop the dead weight.

And for what it’s worth, if I had to choose I would take Eaves over Abdelkader at this point in their careers.

Posted by Garth on 06/22/10 at 04:33 PM ET

HMB Wing's avatar

Of course you would, if in your world an undersized injury-prone Eaves is more useful to the Wings than a younger, more physical Michigan native who’s developed within our system, can skate, hit, and contribute some points along the way.  Makes perfect sense.

Posted by HMB Wing from Bay Area on 06/22/10 at 04:48 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Patrick Eaves’ fight against Chicago last year was more entertaining, more memorable, and did more to fire up the Red Wings than any of those staged shitfests that Brad May went through.

I agree that sometimes the Wings need that gritty guy who’s going to drop the gloves, but I don’t see options out there for guys who are worth money and/or ice time over our RFAs.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/22/10 at 04:49 PM ET

In my world Abdelkader is prone to taking poorly timed penalties.  He was thrown into the mix because of injuries and I think it was clear that he could use some more seasoning, learn to curb his bad habits before he’s putting up big minutes in Detroit.

So yeah, at this point if I had to choose I’d take Eaves, because there are more important things than hitting.

Posted by Garth on 06/22/10 at 05:07 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Speaking of FAIL, Downie has never played a game for the Red Wings

Huh? 07-08 he played a bunch, 08-09 just a handful.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 06/22/10 at 07:31 PM ET

HMB Wing's avatar

Aaron Downey has played for the Red Wings.  Steve Downie has not.  I have a lot of respect for Aaron Downey - he works hard on every shift and wears his heart on his sleeve.

Posted by HMB Wing from Bay Area on 06/22/10 at 07:34 PM ET

Moq's avatar

So I take it Bertuzzi didn’t get a raise because of additional enforcement duties?  wink

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 06/22/10 at 09:06 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Darren McCarty needs to open a school.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 06/23/10 at 04:19 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Darren McCarty needs to open a school.

Darren McCarty’s school on drinking beer, smoking pot, avenging friends, and scoring a Stanley Cup winning goal.

Yeah, I’d go…  smile