Ken Holland’s Press Conference Today

frrom David Staples of the Edmonton Journal,

In the press conference, Holland was asked three times about the defensive or two-way play of stars Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl, and whether the two need to do more in that area, just like stars such as Jonathan Toews and Steve Yzerman did in the past.

Holland finally dug into the topic after Sportsnet’s Mark Spector asked most pointedly about McDavid and Draisaitl: “Does the team need their defensive leadership more than their offensive leadership right now?”

“The answer would be yes, but I saw that happening…,” Holland said. “That was one of the things we talked about with Leon in the exit meeting Saturday morning before we left the hub, Dave Tippett and I, and I remember one night in February in Carolina and there’s a puck turned over, and how Leon buried his head, and it was a two-on-one and he ended up killing the two-on-one just out of sheer determination to backcheck and to play defence. So they are getting better. They are getting better. But I also think in this playoff series we were playing against battle tested. Some players there had won three Stanley Cups. They had to learn that too, and we’re learning it. And you’re focusing on the two guys, but certainly our entire team, we’re learning that defence is as important as offence in terms of going for long playoff runs.”

more from Holland...

Filed in: NHL Teams, Edmonton Oilers, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

WingedRider's avatar

McDavid gets a pass, only one player burned at the stake.  Good OLD Holland

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 08/11/20 at 03:35 PM ET

Im surprised Kenny Holland didnt just tell them its a process.

Posted by ThatGuy on 08/11/20 at 05:13 PM ET

Seems like a similar issue with Toronto.

If Mathews and Tavares (and Marner, etc. ) aren’t scoring
goals, they also aren’t helping you on defense.
If there’s a turnover, they’re at risk.

Posted by lefty.30 on 08/11/20 at 05:26 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Holland wants players to play defense? Burn him at the stake!

Posted by ilovehomers on 08/11/20 at 07:52 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Interesting… That’s the most dialogue I can remember from him in a season he didn’t win the cup. I still believe, and continue to see things that make me believe, that he was told to keep quiet in Detroit. He NEVER got into this level of detail….he always gave casual “hockey answers”.

Edmonton is a fun team to watch though, and they’ll be a contender for a long while. I wish they could have buried the Hawks, but that’s how it goes sometimes.

Posted by TreKronor on 08/11/20 at 08:20 PM ET

d ca's avatar

Can I offer another theory: quality of writers/passionate fan-base not letting him get away with the casual answer.

Case in point Helene St. James recent work summarized in less than a paragraph:

The winner of the draft would be better to come from the Western conference b/c the Wings would only have to play against Lafreniere twice a year vs multiple times in the Eastern.

Evgeny Svechnikov was signed to a 1 yr extension because the organization wants him to prove himself and still wants to control his RFA rights in case he turns around from his dark cloud injury luck.

Mantha is poised to have a break out year, but because of finances revolving around the pandemic it would be best for both sides to get together on a 1 year deal so they can fairly price a long term deal the following year.

Moritz Seider will be playing in Germany because the league there starts in Sept. He’ll be able to transfer back to the Wings shortly before they start in Dec. Training good. Sitting bad.

The Wings have the cap space to eat Abdelkader and Nielsen’s contracts rather than pay Seattle a sweetner to take them.

....you get the picture. It appeals to the masses that haven’t watched a Wings game or gone on a board in years…but a passionate fan-base doesn’t tolerate that level of coverage.

Posted by d ca on 08/12/20 at 03:38 AM ET

I had a similar takeaway. Khan and HSJ know their place and for years have seemed reluctant to ask tough questions/press on uncomfortable matters out of fear of having their access reduced. They never got answers like that because they were afraid to ask about the same problem the 3rd time in the same presser when KH danced around it the first two times.

Posted by MZ2215 on 08/12/20 at 08:25 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

It’s the same situation I laid out - they have been instructed by the Wings org what is and isn’t allowed to be asked.  I think many of us here have expressed that and accepted it.

I think back to the Kenny interviews I would hear on XM or on the NHL Network.  The NHL Network interviews were not very pressing, but some of the XM interviews would get into the weeds.  He didn’t share any more there than he did at any other Wings presser though.

There’s a common theme here.  It doesn’t bother me - lots of bigger organizations do this, and I understand why.

Posted by TreKronor on 08/12/20 at 09:26 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

What’s funny about that is that running joke or sediment in the Wings Org was that a quick statement from Holland should only last an hour, once you give him the mic, you need pavel to pick it out of his hands, etc. etc.

To your point and others, the Canadian media is a different breed, though how long has it been since the Wings were truly favored in a series, he’s also a new GM just starting to put his fingerprints on the team.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 08/12/20 at 11:16 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Interesting and odd.  I completely forgot AA was playing for the Oil until I read this article.  I didn’t really watch the Oiler/Hawks intently, but had it on the tube, and obviously noticed other players, I guess AA was unnoticeable which is odd.

I tend to notice former Wings too, I mean watching the CBJs, I feel like Nyquist plays every other shift

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 08/12/20 at 11:18 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

I completely forgot AA was playing for the Oil until I read this article.

4 games, 0 points, -2, 7 SOG, 10:58 TOI/G

Honestly tired of Blashill making AA into a 4th line winger.

Posted by ilovehomers on 08/12/20 at 11:56 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Honestly tired of Blashill making AA into a 4th line winger.

Posted by ilovehomers on 08/12/20 at 11:56 AM ET

AA on a real team with talent could…

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 08/12/20 at 02:23 PM ET